Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For Old Farts only

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pink Floyd are the best thing in existence that could be even loosely associated with Prog Rock.

More Psychedelic rock I think, Prog rock needs to have a certain self indulgent jazz like solo on drum/guitar/synthesizer/organ or quite possibly all of those instruments one after the other and to go on for little too long to be relevant. Floyd music, after Syd, never really struck me as Prog Rock and doesn't go off on self indulgent random breaks imo.. they were and are one of my favourite bands until Waters disappeared up his own arse around the time of The Wall.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Being a real old timer when did a group become a band? In my misspent youth a band wih full brass, woodwind, percussion, was for example what played at the Regent, eg Syd Dean and his band, whilst a group were the Beatles. Sorry to say never heard the term "Prog Rock" before. Soul, yes. Rock & Roll, yes. Ah well, enjoy the prog anyway and as other old timers will know that can stand for programme as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was never really that much of a Floyd or Yes fan...i was more Genesis, Wishbone Ash, Focus, Brand X, Be Bop Delux, Greenslade type bloke.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Being a real old timer when did a group become a band? In my misspent youth a band wih full brass, woodwind, percussion, was for example what played at the Regent, eg Syd Dean and his band, whilst a group were the Beatles. Sorry to say never heard the term "Prog Rock" before. Soul, yes. Rock & Roll, yes. Ah well, enjoy the prog anyway and as other old timers will know that can stand for programme as well.

The top group was about £250 for two 45min sets and the back up £15 for the same time. Beer 1/6 a pint 2/6 to get in, lots of sweaty bodies, obviously those are Saturday prices much cheaper midweek. We called it a dance, sometimes you pulled, but if you didn't you went home happy full of beer and fish and chips. Happy days

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You couldn't grow up in the 1970's without being exposed to the Mighty Prog and while a lot of it was self indulgent twaddle, some was very wonderful indeed and all you needed was your Good Taste Filter to be activated to remove said twaddle.

I still listen to Hawkwind/Pink Floyd/King Crimson/Gong/Yes/Soft Machine/Tangerine Dream/VDG/Can/Faust now & again - appreciate some of these would be regarded as electronica or jazz rock but all were rather weird compared to the mainstream of the day - lets not forget how shite the Singles Chart of that era was....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tangerine dream - i once wasted 3 hours of my life at one of their concerts at the dome. the sound system was crap, they looked uninterested and I think they were either spaced out or wankered.....Kraftwerk, two days after were on the other hand excellent...///

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I still listen to Hawkwind/Pink Floyd/King Crimson/Gong/Yes/Soft Machine/Tangerine Dream/VDG/Can/Faust now & again - appreciate some of these would be regarded as electronica or jazz rock but all were rather weird compared to the mainstream of the day - lets not forget how shite the Singles Chart of that era was....

I think that Can and Faust were a long, long way from what would be called Prog Rock

But, yes, as I mentioned in the Alex Chilton thread, the singles chart was truly awful around then. Trouble is, I didn't like many of the bands mentioned in this thread either.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think that Can and Faust were a long, long way from what would be called Prog Rock

And as I said some of the bands I named might drift towards electronica or jazz-rock but Prog was quite a Broad Church and neither Can or Faust were ever close to Pop Music!

Why don't you eat carrots?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
neither Can or Faust were ever close to Pop Music!

Interestingly, Can had a top 30 hit in the UK with "I want more" and a hit in Germany with "Spoon". Although anyone buying Tago Mago on the strength of those would have a severe shock when listening to Aumgn.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Interestingly, Can had a top 30 hit in the UK with "I want more" and a hit in Germany with "Spoon". Although anyone buying Tago Mago on the strength of those would have a severe shock when listening to Aumgn.

The things you learn on NSC - I would have not have put money on Can having had any sort of Chart success, let alone a Top 30 Single in the UK:ohmy:

What year was that then? ???

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
ELO were prog! ELO I AND II were totally prog tastic... check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaUD0BcyEUM

Dicks all over Floyd. Yes.

The program was on last year (thus a repeat I'm guessing)... awesome... I doth recall a thread in my name... "prog at the BBC" twas called... ah yes... tis the one and same my friends.

Even my pets are prog.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here