Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all you Dick Knight Haters

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Comments from the BBC Website "And Gannon, who made over 400 appearances as a player for Stockport, said he was flattered to have been approached by Brighton.

"They obviously respect what I've done at Stockport County and I've had dealings with Brighton chairman Dick Knight over the Jim McNulty transfer," he said.

"Knight obviously respects me as a person, as a professional. He's a very good football man and I think out of due courtesy it's only right and proper to speak to them.

"They've done everything right and proper which isn't always the case with other clubs."

For all the posters on here who slag Knight off and especially those that have never run a business perhaps you might want to think twice. Dick Knight was and is a legend and we are lucky to have him.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Apart from a little mess this season... and a few seasons ago...oh and last season... in fact every season.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
If more league clubs had chairman with the same standards, drive and commitment as Dick Knight football would be in much better condition than it is now. We just don't know how lucky we are to have the team of directors and shareholders we have got at our club.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's a game of opinions, I think he's done well for us behind the scenes every year. At no point has there been a drama in the boardroom, maybe we're just bored of the club running well? No dramas, nothing to moan about. The only drama we ever have is over the manager of the club, the club itself is running nicely, the stadium is being built and the squad is constantly getting investment, what more can Dick Knight and the board do?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Apart from a little mess this season... and a few seasons ago...oh and last season... in fact every season.

The problem with the younger generation of fans is that you have no context. My first ten years of watching the Albion were a downward spiral after getting to the play offs in the first season. Dick Knight, I would say, has done more than anyone along with the board to ensure we have a club to support and who have actually had a lot of success all things considered. Comments like yours just wind me up as it shows no grasp for reality.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The problem with the younger generation of fans is that you have no context. My first ten years of watching the Albion were a downward spiral after getting to the play offs in the first season. Dick Knight, I would say, has done more than anyone along with the board to ensure we have a club to support and who have actually had a lot of success all things considered. Comments like yours just wind me up as it shows no grasp for reality.

I'm a young Albion supporter (21), and think your comments towards the younger generation have been generalised somewhat! I can appreciate what DK has done for the club, and know that without him who knows where the club would be now.

Yes OK he has made mistakes along the way, but what human hasn't? The reality is, Dick Knight helped save our club from the depths of hell and turned it into a successful club winning 3 promotions in 4 seasons. Adams leaving is an excuse for the Dick Knight bashers to come out of their shell and have a pop at a man who obviously loves the club as much as the rest of us.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The trouble with Brighton fans is their inability to move on it seems.
Regardless of who becomes the new manager, some will continue to moan about Dick Knight, backroom staff, Withdean, Falmer not happening (some are still mocking and doubting it even when though construction's begun)and so forth. People are still regularly harking back to Mark McGuee's tenureship with regards to our present manager predicament- I mean, where does it all end?!

With the advent of the internet, phone-ins (which have rightly been dubbed 'moan-ins') etc it means that it's never been easier to pour scorn on those trying their hardest to do good by the club. The incumbent board deserve more than any others in our history to lead the club out at Falmer after what they've done for BHA FC. So as others have said before, please just stop criticising the club CONTINUALLY for the decisions it makes. Like any other business, they make mistakes and they usually know before it's pointed out by supporters too. We, the fans, are unwittingly or not, starting to tarnish the Albion's name with our constant whinging. So lets give everyone a break and get behind the club in trying to save us from relegation to the 4th tier of English football.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
The club including supporters are so lucky to have the chairman we have. I have nothing but the highest regard for him. I believe what Gannon is quoted as saying above is indicative of how DK is regarded throughout football.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm a young Albion supporter (21), and think your comments towards the younger generation have been generalised somewhat! I can appreciate what DK has done for the club, and know that without him who knows where the club would be now.

Yes OK he has made mistakes along the way, but what human hasn't? The reality is, Dick Knight helped save our club from the depths of hell and turned it into a successful club winning 3 promotions in 4 seasons. Adams leaving is an excuse for the Dick Knight bashers to come out of their shell and have a pop at a man who obviously loves the club as much as the rest of us.

Yes sorry I did not mean the whole younger generation just certain sections. I am only 26 so not that old myself. It just seems that there is over the top expectations these days from people who weren't around to watch us near the end of the Goldstone and at Gillingham. When you look at the success we have had since coming to Withdean it is incredible given the situation and much of that is down to Dick Knight. The stick he gets from some people is ludicrous but I know they are entitled to their opinion.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Yes sorry I did not mean the whole younger generation just certain sections. I am only 26 so not that old myself. It just seems that there is over the top expectations these days from people who weren't around to watch us near the end of the Goldstone and at Gillingham. When you look at the success we have had since coming to Withdean it is incredible given the situation and much of that is down to Dick Knight. The stick he gets from some people is ludicrous but I know they are entitled to their opinion.

:thumbsup:

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
there's alot of serial whingers around these days. Its not just this club tho and is probably a society thing.

but there are a right few nobbers around, and especially those imho who have 'nsc comments' in their avatar. Its a vain attempt to get attention...
sad little fuckers.

Teddy Maybank

Feb 23, 2009
The majority of Brighton fans appreciate and respect the work dick has done for the club. Let's try and make the criticism constructive. The serial whingers will always find something to moan about.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Are we talking about the Chairman who during the last 11 years is still in charge despite the club being in a relegation situation for Div 2?
He has signed some good managers in the past but without the cash to sign decent players has let them down,whoever is appointed will have to make do with short term loans resulting in little hope of promotion and lower attendances.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
because at this point in negotiations Gannon's really going to start slating Dick isn't he

Dandyman

In London village.
Having respect for Uncle Dick and appreciating what he has done for the club is not the same thing as believing he has made the right decision on every issue or that in common with most people ego and emotion can not cloud his judgement on occassion.

I don't think that is a slag off just realism. I have enormous respect for what Knight has contributed but as a supporter I also think I and others have the right to say when we think he is wrong.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I agree with Naylors piece the other day, he has made mistakes but those have been made with best intentions and the majority of the time he has been right.

Given the restrictions we've faced during his tenure he's done a great job and the proof on the playing side is 3 seasons in the championship - a level we had no right to reach at all given our resources. Add to that planning permission for Falmer with construction and funding in place and I'd say he should be well in credit with ALL albion fans.

DK seems well respected and his reputation and contacts gained over the last 12 years make him a great resource to the club. I can't see any signs of anyone being groomed to takeover the chairmanship so I think the whingers will have to tolerate DK for a few years yet.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
DK seems well respected and his reputation and contacts gained over the last 12 years make him a great resource to the club. I can't see any signs of anyone being groomed to takeover the chairmanship so I think the whingers will have to tolerate DK for a few years yet.

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here