Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all you ageing Punk Rockers, did you realise you OWE the French?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you realise how big the French contribution was?? :lol:

Not being even vaguely in tune with such crassness and mostly tuneless simplistic headbanging, I have no idea if this is true, but if it is it's quite amusing given the attitude of most Brits towards the French

BBC News - How France gave punk rock its meaning

I remember The Stinky Toys were making the news before it took off in the UK, but the big nod has always gone out to garage bands like The Sonics, Wailers, or Them, and early rockers like MC5 and Iggy & The Stooges. The Ramones were ahead of the froggies anyway.

It's hard to discern what 'punk' actually is, when you have to analyze it. Three chord wonders have been done throughout pop music history, indeed 'Rockabilly' had it's own claim to it

[yt]LJmG9na_8bo[/yt]

Elvis wasn't the only game in town either, he was just so marketable in those times when music needed the same kick in the pants punk gave it from 1976.
Youth needed something of their own, something essential and alive to represent them better than brylcreem/dippity-doo and Pat Boone's crooning glory.
Little Richard wasn't so accessible for the white market, and parents often wouldn't allow 'subversion' to black music anyway.
[yt]X3i3isrqB7s[/yt]

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember The Stinky Toys were making the news before it took off in the UK, but the big nod has always gone out to garage bands like The Sonics, Wailers, or Them, and early rockers like MC5 and Iggy & The Stooges. The Ramones were ahead of the froggies anyway.

It's hard to discern what 'punk' actually is, when you have to analyze it. Three chord wonders have been done throughout pop music history, indeed 'Rockabilly' had it's own claim to it

I assume and hope that you are not referring to The Wailers as in Bob Marley or Them as in Van Morrison?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
it should also be remembered that MM was managing punk rock music in '72, long before he 'invented' the Pistols.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ah yes the New York Dolls were briefly managed by McLaren were they not?

Anyway is this the same French that won WW2?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Anyway is this the same French that won WW2?

That's the spirit, do people still say "who won the wars anyway" when losing an argument with a German? :lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Punk existed in England before it was 'punk' though - in the early 1970s it was called 'bad rock 'n' roll'. I can remember when I was 14/15 (which was 1971/72) seeing bands at Lancing Parish Hall with names like 'Stomach' and 'Vomit' who were punk bands in all but name.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well The Clash weren't French influenced.

Strummer was Woodie Guthrie man.

The Clash were musically pretty good though, which cannot be said of many punk bands that I can think of

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Those names sound EXACTLY what I would call Punk names
Sorry, I don't think my meaning came over. The individual band names are indeed 'punky', but the music they were playing wasn't called 'punk' as the term hadn't been invented. We didn't say "I saw a punk band last night", we'd say "I saw a really shit band last night."

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ah yes the New York Dolls were briefly managed by McLaren were they not?

managed them for pretty much all of their [original] career

The Clash were musically pretty good though, which cannot be said of many punk bands that I can think of

That's the rub you see, there were many many musically competent punk bands, and there still are. Some of the old ones are still about, and some of them are excellent musicians. Granted, there were also some who couldn't play or sing for toffee, but they never lasted anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here