Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football's social media boycott 30/4 - 3/5

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As someone with inside knowledge of the ins and outs of stopping hate messages via algorithms etc, after all you can’t read every billion post per day to see if someone is being

I don’t buy that. Post a video of premier league football or a clip from Disney film and see how quickly it gets removed. Or look at how people get shadow banned on Twitter etc for posting certain content

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Can some one tell me where are these abusive posts appearing. Are they on individual players sites, clubs sites or is it on fans individual ones talking amongst themselves. If it is the first Why do players have an open site.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
there is no need to impose ID checks, posts have to go through networks that are mostly traceable (people involved not intelligent enough to find the ways around). it simply needs action. from the police to trace and prosecute and from platforms to lock/delete accounts. if people found thier social network disappears when they make a racist post, they'll soon stop.

and so to the clubs they must make a boycott run until platforms propose a solution. a few days protest might be useful to highlight a problem, we already know about this. now action is needed.

Unfortunately it is very simple to avoid traceability (you only have to look at some of the multi account morons on here :wink:).

I think the only answer is to make all social media open to only those that have proven identification, with relevant ID checks and then people actually have to take responsibility for what they post. I believe that wonderful human trait of cowardice would ensure 99% of the shit would disappear overnight.

Good luck with that though :thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There are plenty of reasons not to enforce identity checks on social media... but I do think a KYC style ID authentication should be an option, and if you are verified then you have the ability to block content by non ID confirmed users.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I don't like to ask, but what happens if something tragic occurs. Say, for example, Sir Alex Ferguson passed away next Friday?

It's a bit of a gamble and to be honest and I'm not sure what it's going to achieve. It's a bank holiday weekend, people have better things to be doing, and I'm not sure the sort of ****ed up weirdos DMing racial slurs to footballers will be put off my admins getting a long weekend.

Not sure what the answer is, but not convinced this is it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don’t know why footballers leave themselves open to abuse by having social media accounts anyway. The solution seems easy to me , turn off permanently.

They have grown up with it and many are pretty addicted to it. Its like telling the millions of kids getting cyber bullied to "just dont have social media accounts", but its not that easy in reality.

Its as if the NSC generation back in the days would throw out their TV:s just because 90% of what they show is braindead bullshit. Sure, one or two maybe did but the majority remained glued to it despite its uselessness.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I don’t know why footballers leave themselves open to abuse by having social media accounts anyway. The solution seems easy to me , turn off permanently.

You would think that was the simplest solution. And that solution would also apply to the new legion of untalented media types who actually use social media to build their profile ( TOWIE etc). Paradoxically, in both instances they are addicted to when people are blowing smoke up their arses but can't handle it when the comments are less favourable. In making that comment I of course condemn blatant racist, homophobic or threatening stuff and there does need to be better policing and accountability for what you post. However, with lots of the media types there has to be an element of ' don't buy the ticket if you can't handle the ride '. A good case in point being the Jessie Nelson from Little Mix. She features in a documentary claiming mental health issues due to pressures from social media and yet still whole heartedly engages with it including photos of her in revealing and overtly sexualized photos. And this is the person who complained about the pressures about conforming to body types. She cannot have it both ways!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
So all the footballers and other people connected with football - and other sorts - will tear themselves away from their Facebook/Whatsap or whatever pages. Meanwhile, the racists, haters, psychopaths and w*nking keyboard warriors can just go on posting abuse whenever and wherever they please?

That'll larn 'em ................... but how, exactly? (genuine question - I don't use any of these social media platforms myself).

I think the point of the boycott is to send a message to the social media companies to police their sites better.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
They have grown up with it and many are pretty addicted to it. Its like telling the millions of kids getting cyber bullied to "just dont have social media accounts", but its not that easy in reality.

Its as if the NSC generation back in the days would throw out their TV:s just because 90% of what they show is braindead bullshit. Sure, one or two maybe did but the majority remained glued to it despite its uselessness.

They could have private / anonymous accounts though.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Why's this racist allowed to post here?

Is a very fair question. But sadly you won't get an answer as they "don't discuss mod decisions". Why you would continually allow the same suspects time and time again and not always hiding under another username is baffling and deeply saddening.

bans.png

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It starts today at 3.

I'll be interested to see if I miss it at all or not.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I suppose it is a statement of intent, like a union calling a one day strike.. the aim is not to win that day but show solidarity and warn of a campaign.
Personally I don’t know why footballers use social media and expose themselves to it. I would put into all players contracts that they must not. Problem solved.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I suppose it is a statement of intent, like a union calling a one day strike.. the aim is not to win that day but show solidarity and warn of a campaign.
Personally I don’t know why footballers use social media and expose themselves to it. I would put into all players contracts that they must not. Problem solved.

If you take away social media most people under 25 wouldn't know what to do with their lives, or their hands come to that without a phone in them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here