Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Violence On The Rise

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think a lot of violence in football now is drunk, or coked up, men fighting with each other, more often than not with their own fans. It's almost a coincidence it happens at football matches.

I don't think there is a huge prevalence at the football, have a look at horse racing or boxing, EVEN Winter Wonderland in London theres always videos of coked up spice boys fighting, all suited and booted. Cocaine is so prevalent in society at the moment that unsurprisingly there is a huge amount of random fighting, just go down Brighton Beach on a summer saturday, to see White shirt W*nkers fighting each other all over the shop (especially in that Brighton Music Hall).

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think there is a huge prevalence at the football, have a look at horse racing or boxing, EVEN Winter Wonderland in London theres always videos of coked up spice boys fighting, all suited and booted. Cocaine is so prevalent in society at the moment that unsurprisingly there is a huge amount of random fighting, just go down Brighton Beach on a summer saturday, to see White shirt W*nkers fighting each other all over the shop (especially in that Brighton Music Hall).

It is certainly not restricted to football but it is definitely present. Not that I have been to many concerts in the last coupe of years but you certainly see it at some of them and Rugby Union seems to be having a conversation about the serving of alcohol during matches.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It is certainly not restricted to football but it is definitely present. Not that I have been to many concerts in the last coupe of years but you certainly see it at some of them and Rugby Union seems to be having a conversation about the serving of alcohol during matches.

I've never found it to be a huge issue at gigs, but that could be my taste in music, but I stand by it, that Rugby Union fans (mainly International Rugby) are far bigger pr*cks in public and at games than football.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I've never found it to be a huge issue at gigs, but that could be my taste in music, but I stand by it, that Rugby Union fans (mainly International Rugby) are far bigger pr*cks in public and at games than football.

Does depend on who you were watching. I saw Oasis in Southampton back in the day and it was basically a Southampton-Portsmouth punch up for two hours.

Never watched that much Rugby in the flesh apart from the U20(?) international at the Amex and a few times at Worthing. People constantly popping out for drinks at the Amex did get a bit annoying after a while.

However I did share a train back with some England fans coming back from Twickenham and I have never seen so many drunk people in one place. I like a drink but they were passed out left, right and centre. I like to think if this happened at a football match anyone sitting near would have had a few things to say: Wales v Australia: Boy vomited on by drunk fan in stadium.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Does depend on who you were watching. I saw Oasis in Southampton back in the day and it was basically a Southampton-Portsmouth punch up for two hours.

Never watched that much Rugby in the flesh apart from the U20(?) international at the Amex and a few times at Worthing. People constantly popping out for drinks at the Amex did get a bit annoying after a while.

However I did share a train back with some England fans coming back from Twickenham and I have never seen so many drunk people in one place. I like a drink but they were passed out left, right and centre. I like to think if this happened at a football match anyone sitting near would have had a few things to say: Wales v Australia: Boy vomited on by drunk fan in stadium.

Oasis at the MK bowl was basically like an England away game. soon as people started throwing pints off piss it all kicked off.

Other than that, haven't really seen any violence of note at gigs.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Oasis at the MK bowl was basically like an England away game. soon as people started throwing pints off piss it all kicked off.

Other than that, haven't really seen any violence of note at gigs.

Funnily enough I was at one of the nights there. I remembers driving out of Milton Keynes and it was like watching an army in retreat with fans passed out at the side of the road.

In fairness Oasis at the time were an extreme example and it did all get a bit laddy.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Getting confused with affirmative action there.

Not in the slightest, we don’t live in the US so “affirmative action” as it is applied in the US is not enshrined in U.K. law……..hence they can apply the Rooney Rule in NFL.

In the U.K. it is illegal to discriminate on jobs on grounds of race albeit the 2010 Equality Act in the U.K. does have an exemption (under article 159) which can allow employers to select a candidate if they have “protected characteristics” (which includes race). This approach is referenced in the Act as “positive action” but is NOT affirmative action as per the US law.

Its a legal tightrope though, and easy to get it wrong if you’re genuinely confused……

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-47335859

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone clutching their pearls at the latest figures (802 arrests so far compared with 547 the previous year, a 47% increase) should take into account the debacle of the Euros final last summer, which was a pretty unique situation and will have boosted the numbers considerably.

Also, police presence at matches has gone up during this period from 46% to 66% - more plod, more arrests.

In 87-88, 6,147 people were arrested in the top 4 divisions, when average attendances across the divisions were less than half what they are now (19,270 compared to to 39,543). Despite vastly increased numbers, the number of arrests in 2010-11 was 3,075. Are we really in a tizz over 800 or so arrests, considering the hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of fans who go to games every week ? Not to mention the fact you can be arrested for giving someone a dirty look these days.

Nothing to see here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone clutching their pearls at the latest figures (802 arrests so far compared with 547 the previous year, a 47% increase) should take into account the debacle of the Euros final last summer, which was a pretty unique situation and will have boosted the numbers considerably.

Also, police presence at matches has gone up during this period from 46% to 66% - more plod, more arrests.

In 87-88, 6,147 people were arrested in the top 4 divisions, when average attendances across the divisions were less than half what they are now (19,270 compared to to 39,543). Despite vastly increased numbers, the number of arrests in 2010-11 was 3,075. Are we really in a tizz over 800 or so arrests, considering the hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of fans who go to games every week ? Not to mention the fact you can be arrested for giving someone a dirty look these days.

Nothing to see here.

Yep.

At the risk of exciting ppf and being seen as another NSC dinosaur, the mention of 87-88 is pretty relevant to me personally. The first season I went to away games with mates from school and I saw more actual aggro in one half at Southend than the whole of the Friday night Palace encounter. Then again at Gillingham, Brentford and Aldershot (which was more like a war zone). There were no colourful smoke bombs or one-man suicide mission pitch invasions though. In the league game at Brentford I think we contributed to about 40 of those arrests.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yep.

At the risk of exciting ppf and being seen as another NSC dinosaur, the mention of 87-88 is pretty relevant to me personally. The first season I went to away games with mates from school and I saw more actual aggro in one half at Southend than the whole of the Friday night Palace encounter. Then again at Gillingham, Brentford and Aldershot (which was more like a war zone). There were no colourful smoke bombs or one-man suicide mission pitch invasions though. In the league game at Brentford I think we contributed to about 40 of those arrests.
87/88 was my favourite season following Brighton.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Not in the slightest, we don’t live in the US so “affirmative action” as it is applied in the US is not enshrined in U.K. law……..hence they can apply the Rooney Rule in NFL.

In the U.K. it is illegal to discriminate on jobs on grounds of race albeit the 2010 Equality Act in the U.K. does have an exemption (under article 159) which can allow employers to select a candidate if they have “protected characteristics” (which includes race). This approach is referenced in the Act as “positive action” but is NOT affirmative action as per the US law.

Its a legal tightrope though, and easy to get it wrong if you’re genuinely confused……

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-47335859

So in other words they can take affirmative action under a different name?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Nothing to see here.

So far as I can see 90 England fans were arrested during Euro 2020, which explains some of the increase but not all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So far as I can see 90 England fans were arrested during Euro 2020, which explains some of the increase but not all.

Hairy muff, but the overall trend is still worlds away from the numbers we were seeing 10-20-30 years ago, despite the average crowds being double what they used to be. Football these days is safer than its ever been, despite a relative "spike" in the tiny number of arrests being made, when you consider the huge increase in crowds these days.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
For the first time in a long while I was in the midst of a bit of angry and threatening behaviour. Some of our fine and brave lads were giving it large to the Leicester faithful. Such classics as ‘come on then’ ‘I’ll **** you up’ (more irritating for its Americanism’) and ‘I’ll fxxxing ‘ave you’. This then resulted in the police strengthening the steward line. I thought the police handled it quite well. Back in the day the police often made matters worse by being heavy handed. It all settled and a glance at the baying Leicester mob revealed it was a good job as our lot may have been done for child abuse….’ We pay you pensions’ I heard them squeal. Nearly put me off the game !!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
So in other words they can take affirmative action under a different name?

Who is they?

In the US it’s laws around employment facilitate “affirmative action” in a way that doesn’t apply in the U.K. There is more scope for creating employment quotas especially in their equivalent civil service.

In the U.K. the equality act very clearly prevents discrimination for employment on grounds of race, granted there is an exemption on “protected characteristics” but it’s narrow, and much narrower than what exists in the US. Consequently when Cheshire Police applied “affirmative action” it was found to be discrimination. I think you would call it good racism, but it was racism nonetheless.

What with all the kneeling before kick off, the rise of Halloween and obsessing with the previous POTUS I guess some may people actually think we are part of the US. You know they call their national game “football”, but it’s not really “football”……….it’s closer to Rugby. I can see how some people get confused.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Today we’ve had -

West Brom disrupting game when they’re losing and throwing chairs into Millwall end.

Rotherham fans throwing things at Lino , who then walked out and 4th official had to take charge

Franchise FC fans racially abusing Akinfenwa when he was warming up with stewards, police and MK Dons management having to speak to their own fans to stop singing the song

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here