Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football tonight

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If there was five black guys and one white guy and the white guy made a mess, its pretty realistic to believe that he would have been referred to as "the white guy". If one of the coaches is 65 and the others are 35, it could have been "the old guy", or if 5 had hair and one was bald it could have been "the bald guy".

‘Him’ would have sufficed.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Pierre Webo was the victim. I hope they refuse to play the remainder of the game. That would send out the strongest message to UEFA.

Apologies for naming the wrong player. Just so angry that he was subjected to personal racist abuse.

[MENTION=14168]Durlston[/MENTION] I just noticed on your Avatar the phrase 'You stackin bro?'
What does that mean to you?
Googling it I found it was black gangland speak for guns.
Why would you have that - just asking :moo:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If there was five black guys and one white guy and the white guy made a mess, its pretty realistic to believe that he would have been referred to as "the white guy". If one of the coaches is 65 and the others are 35, it could have been "the old guy", or if 5 had hair and one was bald it could have been "the bald guy".

Romania is a racist country, that is specifically targeted against black skinned people. I know this through someone who is Romanian, plus there’ve been countless incidents at football matches. The fourth official might normally not be an overt hater of black people, but it’s in their culture, in their ‘dna’. Primitive, they’re light years behind some other nations.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Romania is a racist country, that is specifically targeted against black skinned people. I know this through someone who is Romanian, plus there’ve been countless incidents at football matches. The fourth official might normally not be an overt hater of black people, but it’s in their culture, in their ‘dna’. Primitive, they’re light years behind some other nations.

I think a lot of Romanians would find what you're saying pretty ****ing racist as a lot of those 20 million people surely arent racist. They definitely have more issues than some other countries, when Sweden played them they were chanting against Alexander Isak and Robin Quaison, but just like anywhere else there are no consensus beliefs or opinions.

"The Romanians are racist, its in their DNA. Primitive" is pretty... are you having a larrf. Well well, good thing you British people are genetically superior to these foreign barbarians and would never do racism!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i'd give you Italy , The Balkan States , Albania and Bulgaria to add to the list there are plenty of others.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think a lot of Romanians would find what you're saying pretty ****ing racist as a lot of those 20 million people surely arent racist. They definitely have more issues than some other countries, when Sweden played them they were chanting against Alexander Isak and Robin Quaison, but just like anywhere else there are no consensus beliefs or opinions.

"The Romanians are racist, its in their DNA. Primitive" is pretty... are you having a larrf. Well well, good thing you British people are genetically superior to these foreign barbarians and would never do racism!

You need to find a new spliff dealer, you’re never chilled out on any discussion.

It’s nothing to do with British superiority. You want to deflect from racism in eastern Europe, the UK has far less aggressive racism than in many parts of Europe. Let’s bring Sweden into this discussion, we have friends in Lidkoping and Stockholm, we’ve visited. At school, the kids who were brought up in England for part of their childhood, hear widespread hatred towards black and middle eastern kids amongst their peers. You know full well there’s anger about the immigration in recent years. The UK is more advanced in terms of integration in that races/nationalities are used to living side by side, not in the sink estates on the edge of many continental cities devoid of locals.

The UK has far less racism than 40 years ago, despite the emboldened bigots in recent times.

Back on point, a Romanian colleague was shunned by his extended family for dating a black girl, I won’t repeat the terminology used. Romanians and the wider Balkan area has a history of abusing black sportsmen.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You need to find a new spliff dealer, you’re never chilled out on any discussion.

It’s nothing to do with British superiority. You want to deflect from racism in eastern Europe, the UK has far less aggressive racism than in many parts of Europe. Let’s bring Sweden into this discussion, we have friends in Lidkoping and Stockholm, we’ve visited. At school, the kids who were brought up in England for part of their childhood, hear widespread hatred towards black and middle eastern kids amongst their peers. You know full well there’s anger about the immigration in recent years. The UK is more advanced in terms of integration in that races/nationalities are used to living side by side, not in the sink estates on the edge of many continental cities devoid of locals.

The UK has far less racism than 40 years ago, despite the emboldened bigots in recent times.

Back on point, a Romanian colleague was shunned by his extended family for dating a black girl, I won’t repeat the terminology used. Romanians and the wider Balkan area has a history of abusing black sportsmen.

The key line phrase here is "40 years ago". We have learned - well, most of us - and had our eyes opened.

Many of the countries in the Balkans and Eastern Europe were monocultures until recently (and some still are) with few, if any, people of any other race than white caucasian, and it has taken or will take them time to adapt to new realities and accept people from other cultures.

And we're not just talking about the uneducated masses. The husband of one of my Polish cousins - a lawyer - came out with an unbelievably racist comment once but has since seen the error of his ways. Don't get me started on the anti-semitism that somehow persists even in a country where some German visitors killed 99% of the Jewish population.

Tomasz Kuszczak once told me that one of the most positive benefits of all the Polish immigration to Britain was that Poles returning to the old country would bring with them more enlightened attitudes to the various cultures they had encountered here. I just hope they don't replace their dislike of non-whites with a hatred of the xenophobic, unfriendly and unwelcoming British. You could see why they might.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The key line phrase here is "40 years ago". We have learned - well, most of us - and had our eyes opened.

Many of the countries in the Balkans and Eastern Europe were monocultures until recently (and some still are) with few, if any, people of any other race than white caucasian, and it has taken or will take them time to adapt to new realities and accept people from other cultures.

And we're not just talking about the uneducated masses. The husband of one of my Polish cousins - a lawyer - came out with an unbelievably racist comment once but has since seen the error of his ways. Don't get me started on the anti-semitism that somehow persists even in a country where some German visitors killed 99% of the Jewish population.

Tomasz Kuszczak once told me that one of the most positive benefits of all the Polish immigration to Britain was that Poles returning to the old country would bring with them more enlightened attitudes to the various cultures they had encountered here. I just hope they don't replace their dislike of non-whites with a hatred of the xenophobic, unfriendly and unwelcoming British. You could see why they might.

If allegedly arrogant white Brits can’t be believed, let’s hear what those of African descent say about their experiences of racism across an array of EU nations including the UK.
https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2019-being-black-in-the-eu-summary_en.pdf

They report far less racism in the UK and pay closer to the average, than other nations with an awful lot of work to do, cultures to be challenged.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Haven't you just contradicted yourself there? Are we accepting and welcoming of other cultures here or not?!
Of course we are, comparatively speaking. Still a long way to go, but we have a far more welcoming, multicultural and integrated society than many other countries.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
‘Him’ would have sufficed.

It's a shame the player didn't have some kind of unique identification about his person like, oh I don't know, say perhaps a ...

...number.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
:facepalm: If you’re refereeing at the highest level in Europe, there is NO excuse for not being aware of what terms all different nationalities Might find offensive, for a 4th official to use such language is at best highly unprofessional and at worst, well you know what. Why even refer to his race? Uncalled for and with the highly sensitive nature of racial issues at the moment it’s pure stupidity. Ignorance is no excuse.

Regardless of any of that, since when do officials respond to any question about which player, with "that one" type comments?
Surely it's either the player's name or number?
They aren't reffing a schoolboy game it's the ****ing Champions League FFS!

Edit: beaten to it by Stat

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't matter. As long as a decent 50% of the highlights is the players taking the knee, I'm right on! Kicking a football around? - pfft.

At least, that is SSN's take.

Mate, you seem to have lost your way. I've read a few of your posts about blm. You don't like it, do you? As stated repeatedly, if having five seconds of your life stolen by an anti racism gesture before KO offends you, go and make yourself a cup of tea or something :shrug:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed.

Listening to Liam Rosenior the other night, I can't help thinking that the simple message of blm, which is 'let's be kind and respectful to one another' (with taking the knee a gesture to remind) is quite elegant.

It is disappointing but not surprising that it has smoked out people with 'unconscious bias' racist attitudes, old school types who find the knee taking so annoying.

It is also pleasing how, in the main, they are shamed by people who do get it.

Like you I have been exposed to racism from around the world, perfectly nice colleagues with ingrained casual racist attitudes and a relaxed attitude about expressing them. This isn't whataboutery, the reverse, really - everyone needs to up their game, and sneering at blm reflects rather badly on an individual. That's all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed.

Listening to Liam Rosenior the other night, I can't help thinking that the simple message of blm, which is 'let's be kind and respectful to one another' (with taking the knee a gesture to remind) is quite elegant.

It is disappointing but not surprising that it has smoked out people with 'unconscious bias' racist attitudes, old school types who find the knee taking so annoying.

It is also pleasing how, in the main, they are shamed by people who do get it.

Like you I have been exposed to racism from around the world, perfectly nice colleagues with ingrained casual racist attitudes and a relaxed attitude about expressing them. This isn't whataboutery, the reverse, really - everyone needs to up their game, and sneering at blm reflects rather badly on an individual. That's all.

“Smoked out” :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yep, racism is widespread in the Balkans and beyond.

yes moosh , i am well aware of that , racism is also prevalent in countries not white in culture ......it's just the ****ing way it is unfortunately.....:mad:

some of you turkeys on here think racism is a one way street .....ffs pluck yer head out of yer arse.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
yes moosh , i am well aware of that , racism is also prevalent in countries not white in culture ......it's just the ****ing way it is unfortunately.....:mad:

some of you turkeys on here think racism is a one way street .....ffs pluck yer head out of yer arse.

False equivalence is tempting but dangerous.

Of course there are many forms of racism, prevalent around the world. And always have been.

But in terms of the impact of racism - in the way that global society and the global economy works, in terms of individual opportunities and day to day individual experience - it has been overwhelmingly in one direction. The impacts of industrial slavery and colonialism (powered by deliberate racist propaganda) are simpy not comparable to any other processes in history. At least not in the last few hundred years.

BLM is based on that truth, and the need to overcome the longstanding resistance from those that find it uncomfortable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here