Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Pundits you love

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
As a partner to the football pundits you hate thread. Who are the pundits that you are willing to listen to, and enjoy their opinion? Who deserves the top jobs at the BBC or Sky instead of those we're al getting sick of?

Firstly, although he's not really a pundit, although his work on the 606 programme pretty much makes him one, I'm going to say Alan Green. An older bloke who isn't out of touch with the modern game, shows passion about football as a whole and is prepared to go out on a limb to criticise or praise aspects of the game which other professionals won't dare comment on.

I also really like Adrian Chiles as a presenter. I'm not sure he's the most knowlageble football pundit, I imagine he would be lost if he didn't have someone with him who could actually analyse a game, but as an entertaining presenter he's far more enjoyable and clearly passionate than Lineker. Personally I like to see a pundit who is willing to talk about their club because it shows that they care about football like the average fan. We all know Chiles loves West Brom, but how many times does Lineker even dare mention Leicester?

Finally, I think Tim Lovejoy is really proving he's an enthusiastic and charistmatic pundit on BBC - away from the sillyness of Soccer AM. It's a bit dissapointing that he's a Chelsea fan (!), but he is clearly someone who just loves football and is entertaining at the same time.

As for the more technical pundits who can analyse a game - I still like Hansen, even know he's really full of himself being the top dog on BBC and the most recognised pundit of them all (get off those bloody Morrisons adverts!). I also think Jamie Redknapp is pretty good on Sky, although it's difficult to tell since he gets about 2 minutes to say anything in between advert breaks!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lovejoy is a bellend.

But I wish Martin Samuel would do oral. His columns in The Times are always a top read - why do we INSIST on ex-players doing the punditry ? Him and Jeff Stelling on the half time couch would provide INFINATELY more opinion and insight into the game than the tired old Hansen / Lineker / Shearer / Lawro carve-up.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I particularly like Lee Dixon and Gavin Peacock on motd2, who just seem very honest, unassuming guys. I like Lineker and Hansen is ok, but I'm not really a fan of any of the sky pundits, apart from Jeff Stelling. Having said that, I think Paul Merson's approach is very refreshing.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I don't know if there's anybody on NSC who hasn't watched Jeff Stelling on Gillette Soccer Saturday yet, but if there is then shell out some money and get Sky Sports. The man is an absolute legend, and it's worth the subscription just to see him in action, knowledgable, funny and comes over as a really nice genuine bloke (and he's proud of supporting the monkey hangers).

:thumbsup:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I don't know if there's anybody on NSC who hasn't watched Jeff Stelling on Gillette Soccer Saturday yet, but if there is then shell out some money and get Sky Sports. The man is an absolute legend, and it's worth the subscription just to see him in action, knowledgable, funny and comes over as a really nice genuine bloke (and he's proud of supporting the monkey hangers).

yep, he is quality, him and chris kamara.

kamara can make a boring game seem "unbelievable jeff"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Jamie Redknapp

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I also really like Adrian Chiles as a presenter. I'm not sure he's the most knowlageble football pundit, I imagine he would be lost if he didn't have someone with him who could actually analyse a game, but as an entertaining presenter he's far more enjoyable and clearly passionate than Lineker. Personally I like to see a pundit who is willing to talk about their club because it shows that they care about football like the average fan. We all know Chiles loves West Brom, but how many times does Lineker even dare mention Leicester?

Personally I think Chiles goes on about West Brom way too much, we get the idea mate we know who you support.

I think nearly all of the pundits in football are useless, you want good punditry you watch cricket or rugby or golf.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What about Garth Crooks? He is so entertaining

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Garth Crooks is one of the worst pundits on TV, however its worth having him on any show with Gavin Peacock and Lee Dixon just to watch them wind him up and let him go.

Jamie Redknapp is pretty good and comes across as a bit more clued up about the game than a lot of ex-pros of his age.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Jamie Redknapp is pretty good and comes across as a bit more clued up about the game than a lot of ex-pros of his age.

Rubbish, he's crap, sits on the fence on nearly every major issue, won't criticise anyone.

Andy Gray ruins him when he's in the studio with him.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Garth Crooks is one of the worst pundits on TV, however its worth having him on any show with Gavin Peacock and Lee Dixon just to watch them wind him up and let him go.

I agree Garth is absolutely useless but it's so funny watching the way he talks in that really serious tone when all he is really doing is stating the obvious.

The thing I don't really get with football punditry is why they spend ages before the game telling us what is going to happen and then, shock, horror, something completely different happens. Then suddenly they are experts on what has happened and fail to explain why they were talking complete bollocks two hours earlier. They should just wait until the game is over and save themselves looking stupid.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Stelling - obviously
Kamara - I know he can be annoying, but he knows what he's talking about!
Jamie Redknapp - because he's FIT.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I agree with the comments about Gavin Peacock, the fact that he also fronts programmes about Womens football shows that he is either a bit of a perve on the side or genuinely knows a lot about the game at all levels, I suspect the latter to be the case.

I don't mind Garth Crooks but he asks some pretty inane questions and in such a slow and deliberate manner, he could certainly improve by being a little more direct and punchy with his delivery.

Fair comments about Adrian Chiles, he also fronts the One Show, which is usually on when I am eating my dinner...he has a great manner and is easily one of the more watchable presenters on the Beeb, at least he follows a team with Albion in its name, even if it is the wrong one.

The team who presented the last World Cup for the Beeb was pretty outstanding, they really got that one completely right.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
Guillem Balague is the best football pundit. Jeff Stelling is also very good. Leonardo and Martin O'Neill talk a lot of sense too

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Leonardo, Marcel Desailly, Guillem Balague and Jeff Stelling are all pundits I enjoy watching and listening to.

Presenter-wise, Chiles does a great job, as did James Richardson when he used to present the Italian footy on C4/Bravo.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Have to add that my sister in law spoke to him down the blower and he came across as a bit of a knob...and included the immortal line "Don't you know who I am?! I could get you fired"

Other than that he's alright though...

:lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Think Redknapps is overrated to be honest.

Chiles is good, obviously. So is Stelling. I quite like Hansen actually. And (dare i say it) i think Ian Wright offers something different, and is actually quite interesting to listen to.

What does Lovejoy 'pundit' on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here