Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tom Hark said:
(ahem :dunce: )

FITBA' CRAZY

CHORUS: He's fitba crazy, he's gone clean mad,
Fitba's gone and robbed him o' the wee bit sense he had.
It would tak' a washer woman his claithes tae rub and scrub,
Since oor Jock became a member o' that terrible fitba' club.
Ah Tom I do believe the 'fitba' in question was originally meant to be ....... Rugby.

To me it's 'Rugby' and 'Football', although sadly we have to accept that, like French, different countries have different words for it (although I believe the French do call it 'le football'). What I irrationally really hate is when antipodean Rugby commentators say when someone fly hacks the ball: "...and so-and-so soccers the ball forward"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sams dad said:
I also hate it when people refer to football as"footie" or "footer".Makes me cringe

And me. Football is the only correct word in my book.

At least your rugby colleague doesn't say 'rugger' That is so snobbish ???

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
"Football" a game played with the ball at the feet (as the name suggests) :clap2:

"Rugby" a game that originates in Rugby (as the name suggests) :lolol:

"Soccer" a name used by Americans who think that "football" describes a game that is a softer version of Rugby, that is played by people who dress up in body armour to pick up the ball and run for a maximum of ten yards before going off and having a rest (and a snort) - before their bosses sell off the franchise and move to Milton Keynes (or somewhere) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
What about the Americans calling Table Football Fussball? Argh!!!!

kalinski said:
egg chasing came from association football

Not true; Association football came from Rugby football, after the gentlemen of certain football clubs decided that all that 'hacking' and 'tackling' they could do in football in those days should be outlawed as 'ungentlemanly'. The new game was called Association football; the old game is called Rugby football.

At the first meeting of the Football Association, one of the twelve clubs present was Blackheath. However, unimpressed at the unmanly turn the 'new' rules were taking, they pulled out and remained (as they are to this day) a rugby football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here