Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Manager 2020

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
During my first game, I started as Albion. Hovered above the relegation zone and got to FA cup semi final, just before the semi they sacked me !

So started a game with Fulham, signed Connolly on loan and him and AK currently tearing up the championship and sit top in February.

Agree with the earlier posts about bugs, you score about 1 out of 10 one on ones which is frustrating but other than that a really good game.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Finished 10th in my second attempt at my first season with Albion, one point above Chelsea :albion2:

We struggled early on playing a fluid 4-2-3-1 and went 7 without a win in November and December but reverting to a cautious 3-2-3-2 sorted us out a treat along with the signings of Sander Berge and Vincent Aboubakar in January, helping us to win 11 of our last 17. The summer additions of Ludwig Augustinsson (£12 million), Maxime Lopez (£12million + add-ons) and Davide Santon on loan all went well, particularly Lopez, and recalling Andone and White before the season started made a huge difference, as White started most games and Andone banged in 14 league goals despite a 2 month injury lay-off.

City won the league comfortably with Wolves in second, Sheff U, Burnley and Villa went down.

We made some big money on sales last season and over the summer: Propper to Beijing for £23mil, Jahanbakhsh and Webster to Lille for £10mil each, Izquierdo to Nice for £11 million, Gyokeres to Bordeaux for £13mil and a fat sell-on clause, Stephens and Gross to Norwich for £7.5mil and £8mil respectively after they both submitted transfer requests, giving us a £60mil+ war-chest for the season ahead, most of which has been spent.

Our top target Kristoffer Ajer comes in from Celtic for £22 million along with Kalvin Phillips from Leeds for £14 million after they managed to bottle promotion in spectacular style, leading the whole season before slumping to third right at the final hurdle and losing to Cardiff in the play-offs. PSG right-back Thomas Meunier signs for £8 million along with 17-year-old striker Sebastiano Esposito, who joins from Inter for £12 million to provide another good option up top. Alexis Mac Allister has finally got a work permit as well but still no joy with Percy. Think we are pretty much done in terms of transfers so just stocking up on wonderkids now. I did try to sign Mooy permanently but was quoted £23 million...

Expect the starting line-up for next season to mostly be this:

--------------------------------------Ryan------------------------------------------------
----------------------Ajer----------Dunk---------White-------------------------------
----Meunier-------------------------------------------------------Augustinsson----
----------------------Berge-------Phillips------Alzate--------------------------------
--------------------------Andone----------Maupay-------------------------------------

Subs from: Walton, Burn, Duffy, Bernardo, Montoya, Trossard, March, Bissouma, Lopez, Molumby, Mac Allister, Esposito, Aboubakar.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Played 18 and got Brighton to the title plus Europa, FA and League Cups. Didn't manage Champs League but was only about 4/5 years in.

Then had a Hastings save taking them up to League 1 winning every league, every season (though the second was by one goal difference only).

With 20 was a bit more determined to see a job through however Eastbourne Borough got up from 6th tier to Championship before I moved on to other games. This thread the other day made me almost start a Brighton save but have foolishly gone the other way and have a new 11th tier Westfield save to try. No real players and not sure if it will stick but I played more games in real life for them than any of my starting squad managed. A grand total of one.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I finally got around to buying this just after Xmas, and as usual SI have done a fine job of producing one of the most addictive games known to man.

Obviously I'm managing the Albion, and if I say so myself it's going quite well. Finished 7th in the 2019/20 season which got us Europa League football for 2020/21. Thanks to Florin Andone (who just scored goals, generally without twatting anyone) and a few well chosen signings we finished 3rd in the Prem and got to the Quarter-Finals of the Europa League, after which Real Madrid came knocking (I declined their offer).

That third place finish brought CL footy to the Amex for 2021/22, although Juventus offered 55m for Andone so off he went, and so far we're topping our group after draws with Shakhtar and Porto, and a 4-1 home battering of PSG.

I go for a 4-2-3-1 formation with the emphasis on pressing and possession. Usual starting line up is:

Maty Ryan (c), Martin Montoya, Ben White, Adam Webster, Vitaliy Mykolenko, Sander Berge, Andrija Balic, Leandro Trossard, Alexis Mac Allister, Martin Terrier, Erling Haaland

Subs: Christian Walton, Lucas Martinez Quarta, Bernardo, Davy Propper, Solly March, Pelayo Morilla and Fedor Chalov

The rest of the 25 is made up of Patrick Burner, Haydon Roberts, Leo Ostigard, Yves Bissouma, Pascal Gross, Alireza Jahanbakhsh and Aaron Connolly

Oh, and in this reality Palace finish rock bottom this season and don't even make the Championship play-offs next season, which is a nice thought.

Anyone else playing this year, and how are your virtual Albions doing?

Just finished the 2021-22 season, and picked up a 2nd place finish. Going into the final day it was between us, Liverpool and Wolves for the title - Wolves lost to Man Utd, we hammered Southampton 5-1 but Liverpool's win over Watford was enough for them to pip us to the title on Goal Difference! We also got to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League before losing to Lazio, and the Semi Finals of the Carabao Cup where we lost to Man City over two legs. The gem signing was that of Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal for £3.8 million in January (he was out of contract at the end of the season, hence the cheap price tag), who hit 16 goals in 19 games in all competitions.

Cardiff, Southampton and Watford took the drop this year, to be replaced for next season by Newcastle, Fulham and the winners of the Play-Off Final between Forest and Reading. Palace missed out on the Championship play-offs again, and Massive Wednesday got relegated from the Championship.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Am I the only person who, without any football to watch, have resorted to FM20?

Mid-way through my first season - got rid of Bernardo, Murray and Schellotto and brought in nobodies (Guwara, Borno Sosa, Cofal and Marshall (now playing in real life at level 8) and we are 4th. Won't last but.... feeling good while being copped up with the whole family through these difficult times.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Am I the only person who, without any football to watch, have resorted to FM20?

Mid-way through my first season - got rid of Bernardo, Murray and Schellotto and brought in nobodies (Guwara, Borno Sosa, Cofal and Marshall (now playing in real life at level 8) and we are 4th. Won't last but.... feeling good while being copped up with the whole family through these difficult times.

Is Andone as much of a beast on the main game as he is on the mobile version? If so, get him back!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Is Andone as much of a beast on the main game as he is on the mobile version? If so, get him back!

Yes - he was my star striker in the first season on mobile, but has gone off the boil a bit in the second.

I now have Jan Mlakar as my starting striker, Ally Mac number 10, Jude Bellingham behind him, Thorgan Hazard + Ali J / Solly / Trossard on the wings, Dunk and White in central defence, Ramy Bensebaini and Pablo Maffeo as full backs, Maty in goal still and a couple from Alzate/Bernardo/Stephens/Grob.

Honourable mentions to Reinier and Haydon Roberts as high potential youngsters coming through. I also got Japhet Tanganga on a free when Spurs released him - he's not up to much but I'll probably get a couple of million for him at the end of this season.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Currently free to play for a week on Steam. You may as well just buy it though as a week is nowhere near enough for a decent save.

As always I have started unemployed and am globe trotting. Playing as the Albion is too easy/boring now we are in the Prem. Start unemployed with no coaching badges, Sunday League footballer then try and earn the right to manage the Albion is always a bit more fun.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Currently free to play for a week on Steam. You may as well just buy it though as a week is nowhere near enough for a decent save.

As always I have started unemployed and am globe trotting. Playing as the Albion is too easy/boring now we are in the Prem. Start unemployed with no coaching badges, Sunday League footballer then try and earn the right to manage the Albion is always a bit more fun.

I did that with FM19... after six seasons, starting in Sweden, I had arrived at Brighton after they had been relagted and I had won the the league title in Turkey with Altay. Just there was no one left at all in Brighton that I recognised!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
8 have downloaded a few data updates that I think I will try. I'll post links later. One improve all AI staff and managers skills. The other makes injuries more realistic/ harder. Lastly a ln update that let's me play down to tier 12 of English football. Should be challenging and take some time

I'm still working at present so it might be a little while before I get into it properly. Especially as I have just got the England Job in my Brighton save and have a real crack at winning the Premier League for the first time (it had taken me ages ).

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Currently in my 4th season.

Started with Weymouth, winning the NL South title in my first season. I guided them to 4th in the NL by October 2nd year. Ended up going to Southend, 22nd in League One. I was relegated on the final day of the season, but went up as Champions the next season.

My fourth season has gone amazingly well, kept the bulk of my squad and added a few brilliant loan signings. I was 15 points clear at the top at Christmas, before losing 7 on the bounce. With 3 games left to play I’m in 4th and have secured a play off spot. I have a huge focus on younger players, with an average age of 23. Fingers crossed!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have downloaded the realistic injuries and smarter AI managers from this page https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/category/358/football-manager-2020-add-ons

I have also downloaded the England down to Level 12 from here https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/51414/wip-england-down-to-level-10-with-fa-competitions

I have taken control of angmering Village and am waiting for some scouts to join so I can start to sign players (we currently have none). Not sure what i will have in place before the season starts.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
These links are very interesting. Problem with this is down at level 12 you have to be amateur so you keep losing all your players :(

First season ended with the mighty Brighton in 4th place with points. Have now got the tactic stpot on and am offloading the older slower (Gross, Mooy, Duffy) players which is filling up our warchest.

No stars in the team and our goal difference wasn't great but who's complaining with 4th? Playing two AMs - Mcallister and Alzate looks brilliant and Bissouma has becoming a beast at DM DLP.

I have downloaded the realistic injuries and smarter AI managers from this page https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/category/358/football-manager-2020-add-ons

I have also downloaded the England down to Level 12 from here https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/51414/wip-england-down-to-level-10-with-fa-competitions

I have taken control of angmering Village and am waiting for some scouts to join so I can start to sign players (we currently have none). Not sure what i will have in place before the season starts.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I managed to unlock golden generation don’t know how but it is the most amazing inbuilt cheat and it seemed to have happened twice so now have 10 homegrown wonderkids in season 2034. I haven’t played Brighton in this session but they have been relegated and promoted 4 times but are now on a roll having just won Euro Cup 2 last season, having finished 7th in 2032. Tony did float the company on the stock market in 2025 but a consortium has just taken them over. Aaron Connolly ‘club icon’ with 184 league goals has departed to Monaco last summer...............forgot to mention the club was rebranded about 6 years ago to ‘Frank Lampard’s Brighton and Hove Albion’

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

YOU INFECTED ME! Say Hi to the new manager of Northiam 95 (with manager attributes suitable for that level :down: )

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
YOU INFECTED ME! Say Hi to the new manager of Northiam 95 (with manager attributes suitable for that level :down: )

Ha ha ha, Welcome to the wilderness of lower non league park football. I am pleased to announce that i just won my first game 6-1 away to Bosham. I've got some decent player but i am worried about when they up and leave. I am going to try and scout as much as possible.

Did you do the realistic injuries and smart AI staff too?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not sure how realistic my start to the season is but .........

fm2020.JPG

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not sure how realistic my start to the season is but .........

View attachment 121372

I suspect it won't be.... my experience in the past is that if you play below level 6 you can build a super strong team quite quickly.....

Your first season will be pretty easy but it will get harder...

p.s. won my first friendly 8-0 ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here