Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League Show

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The FLS is a decent programme and Claridge is miles better at summarising than Leroy Rosenior.

It's not all about the 'big clubs'. Poor Saarfend and their fans were given a mention for their game being called off at short notice at Accrington. :D Compared to MOTD wanking over Rooney's best goal scored EVER, it's a well balanced programme.

LS6

Nov 9, 2010
If we go up or win the league I couldn't personally give a crap about what they think.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I see they couldn't hekp perpetuating the lie about Brighton's 'finances' - twice in one show. However they didn't seem to find it necessary to say it in conjunction with the scummers. They also entended the rumour about Dicker into Brighton 'turning down a bid - because they could afford to'. Pair of prats.
I knew when I watched it there'd be someone posting something about this. If this was coming from the mouth of Adkins, or Megson, or Clark, I'd be with you. The Saints/Sheff Weds/Hudds of the division have thrown around money left right and centre on the playing budget, and mouthing off at our spending would piss me off. 650k (approx) spent, 450k (approx) received back. Not world-changing. But in the context of a comparatively neutral spectator, we ARE bigger spenders in the division. The fact we haven't necessarily spent money on playing staff is irrelevant, Bloom has dropped £100m+ on the club and having a man that rich behind you does attract the tag of 'big spenders'.
I think we probably are amongst the big spenders but just not as wasteful with our finances as Southampton and Huddersfield and unlike Bournemouth we no longer sell every player we receive a bid for. I think we need to accept that we are now financially big hitters in this division.
Yep. We've suffered as much, if not more than, any supposedly 'hard-done-by' club in the FL. But we've flown under the radar in that time by overachieving (given our budget before Bloom came in) in a ramshackle shithouse stadium, and not gone out of business. We've got by by employing good house-keeping, surviving from season to season, and a couple of times getting money-spinning moments (promotion to Championship, play off final, cup runs Vs Tottenham/West Ham etc). Many lesser clubs in our position would have spunked money at players to try and climb the leagues again, and 12 months down the line gone into administration or worse. But by surviving we've stayed off the radar of most observers and just looked like a tinpot outfit punching above our weight. I've given up justifying to my mates what we've gone through and how much potential we have - I'm just thoroughly enjoying bum-raping the division, to the disbelief of 'big' clubs like Saints and Sheff Weds who are so sure we'll fall away. Rather than getting a chip on our shoulder we should just have some dignity, stay quiet, and continue to walk the league, then when we're staring down at them while they struggle, a la Leeds, to murder the 'joke of a division' they think they're in, we can laugh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I knew when I watched it there'd be someone posting something about this. If this was coming from the mouth of Adkins, or Megson, or Clark, I'd be with you. The Saints/Sheff Weds/Hudds of the division have thrown around money left right and centre on the playing budget, and mouthing off at our spending would piss me off. 650k (approx) spent, 450k (approx) received back. Not world-changing. But in the context of a comparatively neutral spectator, we ARE bigger spenders in the division. The fact we haven't necessarily spent money on playing staff is irrelevant, Bloom has dropped £100m+ on the club and having a man that rich behind you does attract the tag of 'big spenders'.

Yep. We've suffered as much, if not more than, any supposedly 'hard-done-by' club in the FL. But we've flown under the radar in that time by overachieving (given our budget before Bloom came in) in a ramshackle shithouse stadium, and not gone out of business. We've got by by employing good house-keeping, surviving from season to season, and a couple of times getting money-spinning moments (promotion to Championship, play off final, cup runs Vs Tottenham/West Ham etc). Many lesser clubs in our position would have spunked money at players to try and climb the leagues again, and 12 months down the line gone into administration or worse. But by surviving we've stayed off the radar of most observers and just looked like a tinpot outfit punching above our weight. I've given up justifying to my mates what we've gone through and how much potential we have - I'm just thoroughly enjoying bum-raping the division, to the disbelief of 'big' clubs like Saints and Sheff Weds who are so sure we'll fall away. Rather than getting a chip on our shoulder we should just have some dignity, stay quiet, and continue to walk the league, then when we're staring down at them while they struggle, a la Leeds, to murder the 'joke of a division' they think they're in, we can laugh.

TOP post :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The FLS is a decent programme and Claridge is miles better at summarising than Leroy Rosenior.

I disagree I prefer Leroy Rosenior but it wouldnt do for us all to like the same and have the same opinions. Claridge comes across as if he is forced to have a down on us because of his Portsmouth connections in the past although he played for us very briefly.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Top flow and top post br! If you don't write for a living you should seriously consider it! :)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't know the "ins and outs" of our finances (Most of us don't) but I get the impression we are investing well for now and the future.

If the media want to big us up as a "Big Club" so be it! I can live with that!

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I disagree I prefer Leroy Rosenior but it wouldnt do for us all to like the same and have the same opinions. Claridge comes across as if he is forced to have a down on us because of his Portsmouth connections in the past although he played for us very briefly.

I've got Claridge's latest autobiography and he had some nice things to say about Brighton as a club. He says how awful Withdean is and can empathise with the fans. With the AMEX stadium being built he's really happy for us but his real grudge from his time at the Albion was with Mark McGhee, totally slagging off his man-management skills. Claridge felt he was put down a lot of the time by him and was not offered a longer contract, McGhee felt he was not good enough for the Championship. Maybe there's still a bit of resentment that things didn't work out as well as they could have?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here