Football League Show to be axed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cut a slice off Hansen's £40K a show on MOTD

I repeat, Hansen gets £40,000 each and every MOTD he does

Meh

The BBC pays 100's mega salaries and appearance monies, ranging from higher and middle management, performers, presenters and newsreaders.
Hansen is one of many.
Ross was on £6.3m per year.
Norton £2m
Lineker £2m
Paxman £800k
Marr £580k

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Reports today that it's not being axed, it was never going to air over christmas, and they are in advanced talks regarding buying the rights to next season.

Personally, I think the dropping of it over christmas was perhaps part of their negotiating tactics.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hardly the end of the world. Possibly one of the worst programmes on TV. It's so bad it made the ITV one with that Gabriel mush look good.

Hopefully it'll all go to Sky as they'll do it justice. Also it'll piss off the "Sky have ruined football" hypocrites we have at this club.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hardly the end of the world. Possibly one of the worst programmes on TV. It's so bad it made the ITV one with that Gabriel mush look good.

Hopefully it'll all go to Sky as they'll do it justice. Also it'll piss off the "Sky have ruined football" hypocrites we have at this club.

Thanks for that on behalf of the majority of people who don't pay exorbitant fees to Sky. Oh and by the way English football is, in terms of quality, nowhere near as good as it was before it became beholden to Murdoch's millions.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thanks for that on behalf of the majority of people who don't pay exorbitant fees to Sky. Oh and by the way English football is, in terms of quality, nowhere near as good as it was before it became beholden to Murdoch's millions.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Finally stopped laughing enough from your last comment to reply.

I assume you've been to the Amex? And I'm assuming you think it's quite good? Well no Murdoch Millions no Amex simple as.

If you think his TV channels are exorbitant as you say then plain and simply don't pay for them. That is your right as a consumer. I've no problem with that, however I do have problem with the likes of John Baine telling me Murdoch has ruined football, whilst happily enjoying football (and the players and their price tags) in a ground that cost £90M+. If you feel that strongly about it then keep going down the ladder until you find football that isn't money focused. You'll soon find out that even as low as the county league the game revolves around money and be watching a local feeder league.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Finally stopped laughing enough from your last comment to reply.

I assume you've been to the Amex? And I'm assuming you think it's quite good? Well no Murdoch Millions no Amex simple as.

If you think his TV channels are exorbitant as you say then plain and simply don't pay for them. That is your right as a consumer. I've no problem with that, however I do have problem with the likes of John Baine telling me Murdoch has ruined football, whilst happily enjoying football (and the players and their price tags) in a ground that cost £90M+. If you feel that strongly about it then keep going down the ladder until you find football that isn't money focused. You'll soon find out that even as low as the county league the game revolves around money and be watching a local feeder league.

You're right of course that football has always been about money to some extent. But the issue isn't money itself - it's how fairly that money is spread around. Murdoch and the big clubs conspired to create the Premier League to tilt the financial balance in favour of the rich against the smaller teams. The problem is that it also created meaningless mis-matches every week in the Premier League.

Who the hell would want to sit and watch Man Utd vs Wigan when you know it will end 4 or 5-0? The lower leagues are interesting, close and competitive. The Premier League is not. If that's the kind of football you want, fair enough, but it's not my idea of fun.

As for the Amex - we could afford it courtesy of Mr Bloom and his earnings primarily. The SKy money is barely relevant at this moment. (Though you could argue TB has invested his own money in the hope of reachign the Prem League millions).

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think it should be shown on a Sunday as I'm usually out Saturday night and forget to record it. Would give them more time to prepare it properly as the summarising always feels a bit rushed. Shame if it does go.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
clubs should video highlights..send them to the BBC free of charge and then have manish the machine standing outdoor with a tv showing the highlights. CHEAP and we can see WOEFUL refereeing decisions AGAIN

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Pretty outrageous really, esp when you consider the Championship (in terms of attendances) is, what, the fifth most popular league in Europe... And they can't even have a highlights show.

I really enjoy watching it, more than MoTD. Could possibly do with a bit of a revamp, as it is a bit drawn out. More highlights, less talking - which would also save on the budget presumably as they have to record the highlights anyway for the BBC website.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You're right of course that football has always been about money to some extent. But the issue isn't money itself - it's how fairly that money is spread around. Murdoch and the big clubs conspired to create the Premier League to tilt the financial balance in favour of the rich against the smaller teams. The problem is that it also created meaningless mis-matches every week in the Premier League.

So are you saying the money the premier league clubs generate from selling it's TV rights should be spread equally across the football league similar to the old deal? Just never going to happen.

Who the hell would want to sit and watch Man Utd vs Wigan when you know it will end 4 or 5-0?

What about the 70k people there and the god knows how many millions of TV viewers across the globe?

The lower leagues are interesting, close and competitive. The Premier League is not. If that's the kind of football you want, fair enough, but it's not my idea of fun.

But the lower leagues don't have the appeal of the top division because of the quality of football is non comparable. I also disagree that the premier league isn't competitive. Last season was fantastic value and this year looks like it's going to be the same.

As for the Amex - we could afford it courtesy of Mr Bloom and his earnings primarily. The SKy money is barely relevant at this moment. (Though you could argue TB has invested his own money in the hope of reachign the Prem League millions).

Of course the Sky money is relevant! Football was going no where before sky came along there was maybe 10 - 15 live games a season plus the cup semis and the final. The Sky money means clubs have been able to go out and secure funding build the quality of stadia we now have in this country. It just so happens our finance has come from Bloom and we've been very fortunate in that respect. But you can bet your bottom dollar Bloom hasn't invested all that money without an exit plan and that exit plan is going to be allot easier to achieve if we are in the Premier League.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm not saying money should be spread evenly across four divisions - I'm saying it should be spread more evenly.

You are right that Man Utd fans will turn out to watch 5-0 turkey shoots every week but that's because it's easy to support a team you know will win.

And to say football was going nowhwere before Sky is just ridiculous to be honest.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Spot on. Especially the bit about the 'Sky hypocrites', the Sky investment saved football in Britain. Oh, and if anyone disagrees don't bother replying as a) I don't give a shit, and b) you're just being wilfully ignorant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here