Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League Show - Running Time Stats

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All that shows is that each week there are one or two matches that get quite a bit more coverage than any others. Last week we played on Friday night, so were never going to feature heavily on a Saturday programme, and this week we played one of the least attractive teams in the league in Millwall. We probably won't get on next week, as your numbers show that Birmingham were one of the two main matches this week so they won't want to show them again.

I think there's an anomaly relating to Birmingham, in that they did 3 mins of coverage of the new owner of Forest before their match coverage, so perhaps that neither interests Brum fans, nor should be credited to them?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
tippy tappy across the back four will not be aired on FL show.
Efforts on goal will.
I'd like to see a league table of the BBC stats - shots / shots on target / corners - this is the stuff the the FL show will broadcast

Then you will be interested to know that we have one of the highest amounts of shots on goal in the league :ffsparr: I'm guessing you haven't been to a game this season?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
May I ask how much of your life you WASTED getting these timings?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
May I ask how much of your life you WASTED getting these timings?

Just over an hour or so. With the stop watch on my phone, i simply watched the championship portion of each programme and timed the highlights sections. Not difficult.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just over an hour or so. With the stop watch on my phone, i simply watched the championship portion of each programme and timed the highlights sections. Not difficult.

If you don't mind doing the timings each week Papa I think it would be interesting to see the figures at the end of the season.
I CBA doing it though. :moo:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you don't mind doing the timings each week Papa I think it would be interesting to see the figures at the end of the season.
I CBA doing it though. :moo:

No problem. I wonder if anyone can do the earlier 3 or 4 episodes this season, otherwise the analysis is (even more) pointless.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
tippy tappy across the back four will not be aired on FL show.
Efforts on goal will.
I'd like to see a league table of the BBC stats - shots / shots on target / corners - this is the stuff the the FL show will broadcast

Pretty sure we're one of the top teams in the whole division for shots on goal.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Seriously, who CARES?

If its A) because you are desperate to see a few more seconds of highlights of our games - then get Seagulls Player for 50p a week, or whatever it is.

If its B) because you are just feeling needy, and are all upset that we are not getting enough attention - then get a life.

Absolutely this

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Absolutely this

Its worth pointing out, that I didn't really mean that to be aimed specifically [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

Its aimed at all the needy posts that we constantly get on here:

"The football supplement in xxxx didn't have a write up of our game"
"Steve Claridge didn't say we were amazing"
"Its outrageous. Palace are on Sky and we're not"
"We're top, but weren't on first. I'm writing to my MP"

Why does anyone CARE?

WE know we're brilliant. We don't need Leroy Rosenior to confirm it.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Its worth pointing out, that I didn't really mean that to be aimed specifically [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

Its aimed at all the needy posts that we constantly get on here:

"The football supplement in xxxx didn't have a write up of our game"
"Steve Claridge didn't say we were amazing"
"Its outrageous. Palace are on Sky and we're not"
"We're top, but weren't on first. I'm writing to my MP"

Why does anyone CARE?

WE know we're brilliant. We don't need Leroy Rosenior to confirm it.

Not a problem. I bet by the end of the season someone like Leeds or Cardiff have the highest aggregate though. Both much bigger clubs ;-)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not a problem. I bet by the end of the season someone like Leeds or Cardiff have the highest aggregate though. Both much bigger clubs ;-)

Probably yes, but it really doesn't matter does it?

At the end of the day, these things are driven by ratings / advertising revenue. The papers / Sky / etc would rather feature Leeds than us, because like it or not, there are more Leeds fans around the country than there are Brighton fans.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Probably yes, but it really doesn't matter does it?

At the end of the day, these things are driven by ratings / advertising revenue. The papers / Sky / etc would rather feature Leeds than us, because like it or not, there are more Leeds fans around the country than there are Brighton fans.

Probably true - ex Prem teams are more marketable for Sky as well... seems to simply re-inforce potentially false perceptions of teams though.

Anyway- I'm not someone who's bothered about our slot on the FLS; the results on the pitch and the enjoyment we all get from those is all that really counts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Probably true - ex Prem teams are more marketable for Sky as well... seems to simply re-inforce potentially false perceptions of teams though.

Anyway- I'm not someone who's bothered about our slot on the FLS; the results on the pitch and the enjoyment we all get from those is all that really counts.

Exactly. And if the false perception of us that is being re-inforced, is that we are NOT a threat, that is a very GOOD thing. Bring it on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not that it matters at all, but I find it interesting that the media reinforce this idea of Cardiff being a big club. They haven't been big since the 50s and are probably as similar sized club to us as you're going to find.

A good yardstick of the clubs that are slightly bigger than the rest of us is the size of their away support for a night game. Leeds are obviously the biggest (they have the 4th highest membership count of affiliated supporter clubs in the country) which is why they always have a big away following wherever they are playing, but Sheff Wed and Wolves are also fairly big clubs. I'd say Derby and Forest are both much bigger clubs than Cardiff and Albion too.

Another club that has never been big despite what the media have always fed us, is Birmingham City.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not that it matters at all, but I find it interesting that the media reinforce this idea of Cardiff being a big club. They haven't been big since the 50s and are probably as similar sized club to us as you're going to find.

A good yardstick of the clubs that are slightly bigger than the rest of us is the size of their away support for a night game. Leeds are obviously the biggest (they have the 4th highest membership count of affiliated supporter clubs in the country) which is why they always have a big away following wherever they are playing, but Sheff Wed and Wolves are also fairly big clubs. I'd say Derby and Forest are both much bigger clubs than Cardiff and Albion too.

Another club that has never been big despite what the media have always fed us, is Birmingham City.

It's clear that when it comes to the FLS (and I suppose Sky games as well) it's not as simple as giving the teams at the top of the league more coverage, so the potential audience is the main driver for them.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't have the first 3 weeks of the season, but i've done this week's programme, and an aggregate / average for the 3 weeks I do have. I'll leave it to you to interpret what (if anything) this means:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I don't have the first 3 weeks of the season, but i've done this week's programme, and an aggregate / average for the 3 weeks I do have. I'll leave it to you to interpret what (if anything) this means:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

That's quite interesting actually.

If you turn the table upside down I wonder if it reflects the clubs who whinge the most about not having enough coverage?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here