Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football league show complaints.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Weel, I am sure that playing for brighton in the Second division was miles less memorable than winning the European Cup with Liverpool!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If you're really bothered CVP broadcast and professional are offering a used Thomson broadcast HD camera for £ 28 K (ex VAT), but I guess you'll want more than one so there's a special price of £ 25,000 if you order more than 10.

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 20

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hello, I'll come out of the woodwork and add my BBC Sports producer hat on. Just as a start - I don't work on the FLS, it's all produced by an Independent production company - but can give an insight into how games are covered... I'm also not senior enough to chose where games are covered, before anyone asks!

The FLS suffers from what MOTD did about 10 years ago - namely there's very few full outside broadcast matches that can be mounted every weekend. In the FLS case, it's one.

Spllitting the cameras up to other matches isn't viable for a multitude of reasons - the main one being is that the chosen match each weekend is broadcast worldwide - live. So they expect, and pay for, the full OB treatment. But also because the BBC doesn't actually own those cameras, we hire in an outside broadcast company to do the match.

Why only one, will be to do with the amount of money it costs to put on an OB - they are very, very expensive things!!

In terms of bias - that's one that constantly gets chucked at us, as will it ITV and SKY. Everyone wants their piece of the pie, and you can't satisfy everyone. Generally what programme editors tend to go with are stories - so what's likely to provide the biggest story/best game. In the instance of last saturday, i think objectively and putting aside whatever club you support, on paper the best game would have been West Ham V Reading.

However a few weeks ago Albion v Pompey was the OB of choice. It's always a tricky one to chose, however.

The guy from compliance was right, it's ridiuclously difficult to cut around single camera coverage - so extending that isn't really an option.

In terms of an albion game being covered at the AMEX - we were hoping to do the first match against Doncaster... but for a multitude of reasons, including not being able to move kick off time, meant that it didn't happen. We did, however, broadcast football focus from the ground that day.

As for the rest of the season - it's up to the prog editors, and generally they've all been local derbies, or top of the table clashes. I think there's one more to chose, which is the final game of the season, which will more than likely be decided with a week to go.

Finally, yes I am an Albion fan!

Thanks for that insight, I still think it would be good to cover most teams on the live games over the season, even if this means having so called smaller clubs playing bigger clubs away.

My original query is that I thought we have more than one camera in place as the stadium os new, so can FLS only be broadcast from the independent companies camera shots. Part of the new planning I believe is to build a purpose made suite for TV broadcasts over the south stand. SKY seem to love broadcasting from the new home as I believe its very easy for them to set up.

I think a lot of our complaints steam from being lumped in for ages with regions that cover Southampton and Portsmouth so being classed by the BBC South and Meridian as smaller clubs with less support. I know you are not picking the games but whoever has seems to have gone for traditional picks over new stories like our Stadium, young manager and team punching above their weight.

Must be annoying for you if all you have been involved with is an opening day broadcast from the AMEX and the Vicente game v Pompey, still it was very good opening broadcast and like I many would die for your job. Don't tell me football, football, football can ever get boring :cool:

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Thanks for that insight, I still think it would be good to cover most teams on the live games over the season, even if this means having so called smaller clubs playing bigger clubs away.

My original query is that I thought we have more than one camera in place as the stadium os new, so can FLS only be broadcast from the independent companies camera shots. Part of the new planning I believe is to build a purpose made suite for TV broadcasts over the south stand. SKY seem to love broadcasting from the new home as I believe its very easy for them to set up.

I think a lot of our complaints steam from being lumped in for ages with regions that cover Southampton and Portsmouth so being classed by the BBC South and Meridian as smaller clubs with less support. I know you are not picking the games but whoever has seems to have gone for traditional picks over new stories like our Stadium, young manager and team punching above their weight.

Must be annoying for you if all you have been involved with is an opening day broadcast from the AMEX and the Vicente game v Pompey, still it was very good opening broadcast and like I many would die for your job. Don't tell me football, football, football can ever get boring :cool:

Actually I was working at Crystal Palace athletics on the Donny game! Irony. And was doing Six Nations for the Pompey match... only thing i've done with the Albion was a stadium tour with Martin and Gus last dec (Notts co. game postponed)....

I think general rule is to cover as many teams as poss... but we are limited... only 10 a season - and none next, and theres a balance on when we broadcast games.... so it will always be story based, and you're right, West Ham, Southampton, Cardiff etc will always pull in viewing figures. That's not to say albion won't, just when it's come round our opposition hasn't been sexy enough... or indeed we were in a middle of a slump. There was definately a massive expression if interest to do us this season, but for one reason or another, it hasn't panned out.

Broadcasting studios don't really come into it. We can build one in necessary, or pitchside present.

In terms of the single camera coverage at the AMEX, think it rotates between Meridian region, us and sky - we all share it. The multi camera coverage is provided by the club, I assume for Gus' purposes and for the big screen replays. That's quite rare at this level, only really see it at teams that have been ex prem. Dunno if they are offered up to broadcasters, but i've never seen it in an edit, so one would assume not. Also time comes into it.... the FLS is an absolute nightmare to produce, all those games have to be cut down, sent to london, and then edited to hit a tight deadline. I should imagine the camera op doesn't have time to get the extra material.

Regions broadcast as they see fit, I suspect that the switch over will see more Albion heavy coverage in the brighton area as it's being switched to Tonbridge Wells.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think general rule is to cover as many teams as poss... but we are limited... only 10 a season - and none next, and theres a balance on when we broadcast games.... .

So from that are you saying there will still be a FL show just no live games?

I didn't think that had been confirmed anywhere

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I'd be suprised if the Football League show survives to next season.........................

THE BBC is angering fans by axing The Football League Show – fuelling fears Match of the Day is next.

The league highlights programme, watched by two million football supporters, was not broadcast on Boxing Day and we can reveal it will be dumped at the end of the season to save money.

An insider said: “It is coming to the end of a three-year contract and it will not be renewed.”

The Championship, League One and League Two round-up was not on as usual after Match of the Day’s Premier League action on Monday. And there are worries about Match of the Day’s future when it is up for tender next year, with the Beeb slashing 15% off its sport budget.

The Football League has made £264million in the deal with the BBC and Sky.

The satellite broadcaster has now tied up a new three-year deal for £195million but no free-to-air TV rights have yet been taken up.

The Football League Show’s host Manish Bhasin told viewers via Twitter: “I understand your frustration” after the show was not screened.

He said it was a “budget decision” and when asked about the future, he tweeted: “It’s on til May and who knows maybe even longer....but...”The BBC confirmed it will not return until mid-January and fans are angry it was halted when Match of the Day pundits Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer are paid fortunes.

Fan Fiona Martin tweeted: “The BBC can’t afford to have the football league show, but they can pay Alan Hansen 40k a week!” And Christopher Clark wrote: “If the BBC didn’t pay millionaire Shearer so much maybe the budget would stretch?”

A BBC spokesman said the Boxing Day and January 2 Football League fixtures were not part of its deal and it was unable to schedule a show for New Year’s Eve’s games

On the future of both programmes, he added: “We do not discuss contractual issues.”

But a source said: “The BBC is fully committed to Match of the Day and will ensure it keeps the flagship show.”

luge

Dec 18, 2010
So from that are you saying there will still be a FL show just no live games?

I didn't think that had been confirmed anywhere

Ha! don't put words in my mouth. Honestly no clue, mainly on the road and not in the office a lot. Would have thought it would end up on a free to air network somewhere (That's not to say it will, or won't leave BBC) - good pr for football league.

Definately no live games though... That's was announced a while back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here