Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League clubs have voted in favour of changes to the academy system-Why?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Thanks Rookie.

Hopefully parents will realise then that the big clubs are going to be massively increasing their youth intake if they can pick anyone up on the cheap, and therefore think perhaps it's better to stay with the original club and they'll have next to no chance of making it at said big club. Or maybe not when the £££'s are flashed before their eyes.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It seems Albion voted for the changes.

From Naylor's twitter:
"In 2morrow's Argus Gus on Wayne Bridge, Tommy Elphick + Hungarian trialist Zoltan Liptak + Ken Brown on Alb voting for academy change #bhafc"

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It seems Albion voted for the changes.

From Naylor's twitter:
"In 2morrow's Argus Gus on Wayne Bridge, Tommy Elphick + Hungarian trialist Zoltan Liptak + Ken Brown on Alb voting for academy change #bhafc"

To be honest I wouldn't be shocked if they did, basically had a gun to our heads and you have to think about the wider football community as well as selfish interests. Take the youth funding away and clubs already running very close to the line would fold

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
From a selfish point of view this is a positive for us. We can now get young prospects from London whereas before we have been restrictes to just Sussex. That is a massive pool of talent clubs in London have had a monopoly on.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
From a selfish point of view this is a positive for us. We can now get young prospects from London whereas before we have been restrictes to just Sussex. That is a massive pool of talent clubs in London have had a monopoly on.

Don't agree, why would a kid (or parent really) chose us over Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs et al? Means those clubs now go into our area (as they have been doing already with coaching schools around the local area) and cherry pick the best players. the amount of players that the top clubs academy's snap up is scary, far cheaper to get them when young and discard if they don't make the grade than to buy them later.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A player's worth isn't necessarily going to increase significantly once they hit 16.

In other words, even if the buying club paid the maximum for any given player (£209,000 by the looks of things), what EXTRA value is a 17-year-old going to have accrued since his 16th birthday?

not sure, a few stories are using Sam Baldock to West Ham as an example of a deal, he is over 16

I assume that the mention of Baldock is because they are saying he would have been snapped up for £100k by one of the Premiership clubs at 16, rather than MK holding on to him and selling him later for a decent price.

It's an absolute travesty of a rule and I'm shocked that it has been allowed to pass.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Don't agree, why would a kid (or parent really) chose us over Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs et al? Means those clubs now go into our area (as they have been doing already with coaching schools around the local area) and cherry pick the best players. the amount of players that the top clubs academy's snap up is scary, far cheaper to get them when young and discard if they don't make the grade than to buy them later.

Because one would hope that they would have a better chance of breaking the first team and having a good future in the game. Think how buried Lewis Dunks prospects would be at a top 4 club. The only reason he is now in big demand is that he has had first team exposure.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Looking at it from a wider point of view - yes - its absolutely ridiculous and will kill off the lower leagues - like turkeys voting for Christmas. BUT if a club spends 2.3 mill and has 20 staff and good facilities it can have an academy - perhaps that's what we have in mind at Lancing - worth an 'ask the club' perhaps?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because one would hope that they would have a better chance of breaking the first team and having a good future in the game. Think how buried Lewis Dunks prospects would be at a top 4 club. The only reason he is now in big demand is that he has had first team exposure.

That's true, but - hypothetically, the Albion might want, say, £5m for Lewis Dunk taking into account all his qualities, potential AND the amount of time, effort and care the Albion has placed upon his rise through the ranks over the years. Now the poaching club can place a non-negotiable maximum (i.e. a lower value) on the cost of the Albion educating and nurturing him during his formative years.

Chrystal Palace

SJ's Fake Tan
Sep 6, 2009
Pretty sure Albion voted for the change.

It's a disgrace this was allowed to happen either way.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
if we have a category 1 academy though (£2.5m, 18 staff and overnight accommodation) can another category 1 "poach" from you? If not i can see why we voted for this (even if it is selfish) as it means we will be up there with the big boys grabbing players - It is based on quality of academy rather than league isnt it?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
i still think its an overly simplified idea. Maybe upfront payments need to be lower however long term payback for the clubs who develop youth players is vital

Chrystal Palace

SJ's Fake Tan
Sep 6, 2009
if we have a category 1 academy though (£2.5m, 18 staff and overnight accommodation) can another category 1 "poach" from you? If not i can see why we voted for this (even if it is selfish) as it means we will be up there with the big boys grabbing players - It is based on quality of academy rather than league isnt it?
Are you a category 1 though? I think it takes a lot to get there (not boasting but even we aren't there yet, and rivalry aside it's obvious our academy is more successful than yours) and it's more than just the amount of staff and whether you have overnight accommodation.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Are you a category 1 though? I think it takes a lot to get there (not boasting but even we aren't there yet, and rivalry aside it's obvious our academy is more successful than yours) and it's more than just the amount of staff and whether you have overnight accommodation.

What's the opinion of Palace fans? Your rightfully proud of the spine of your team being from the academy. Must be a kick in the bollocks now Johnny big club can come & snaffle up your youngsters for a pitance?

Have to say i'm begining to hate the premier league & what it 'stands for' more & more. This whole thing is utter bullshit.

Chrystal Palace

SJ's Fake Tan
Sep 6, 2009
What's the opinion of Palace fans? Your rightfully proud of the spine of your team being from the academy. Must be a kick in the bollocks now Johnny big club can come & snaffle up your youngsters for a pitance?

Have to say i'm begining to hate the premier league & what it 'stands for' more & more. This whole thing is utter bullshit.
Fuming. The amount of money owners have put into this, for nothing. For all his faults, Jordon completely set up our academy to perfection. Now the Premier League have f***ed everyone over. Some are saying "at least we voted against it" but really it makes no difference. We are all screwed. I would be amazed if Brighton didn't have plans with Bloom at the helm to try and get an academy with a similar success rate as ours (and Watford's, etc).

The Premier League is screwing everyone. The FL is supposed to be proper football for proper fans, but at the moment it seems as though we are just there to feed the Premier League with nothing in return.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
The most intresting point is they have abolished the 90 minute rule ( where the youth has to live within 90 minutes of the training ground ). There by all the big clubs will now nick any kid with promise anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here