Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League clubs have voted in favour of changes to the academy system-Why?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Premier League holding everyone else to ransom, shock horror. No doubt they will come out and say that it is in the national teams benefit because the best will get to train at the best academy's with the best staff, while failing to mention that a quality player who would have got his chance in the lower league at 16/17 and progress naturally through the leagues playing league football could now possibly go to 'big' club at 16 and never be heard of again because he gets pissed off playing in a reserve team.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Are they trying to kill off the game of football on purpose? Ridiculous decision.

Think of clubs like Crewe that depend on it, even us with Dunk, maybe its an idea to cash in now with the £5million offers being banded about?

Disgrace. At least it will be for the benefit of Man Utd, they could get the likes of Rooney, De Gae, Carrick, Young, Ferdinand, Jones, Smalling for pitance instead of £15million+ each

Doesn't this only apply to kids up to the age of 16? So all the above players would have been bought for whatever fee the selling club agreed to and not limited to the new figures?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There was part of me that thought when that story about supposedly some clubs anting to end relegation came out that it wouldn't be that bad, let them f*** off and play with each other and let the rest get on with it. This kind of thing is the reason why.

Sake.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
How does this work then as a 14year old is to young to have a legally binding contract. In some way the clubs need to have a contract with the parent, so that the club is employing the parent.
It's in neither the parents or the kids interest for Clubs to accept lower fees for kids.
Or am I talking rubbish. :shrug:

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
Basically, anyone who has invested or is intending to invest in a High Quality Academy is f***ed over by this.

If I was Bloom, I wouldn't even bother. £20m towards a new academy wasn't it? You'd have to have 200 players taken off you to fund it now.

Another example of corruption and something that should be taken through the courts. Just like the Bosman situation.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
"If clubs had opted against the proposals, the annual funding they receive from the Premier League for youth development - over £5m-per-season - would have been withheld"

Think it's called blackmail.
A case of "vote for this or we cut your funding".

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I really must be misunderstanding this as I don't see it as that big an issue. We're a long way from producing players aged 16 or below that are going to be of interest enough to the big clubs as are most clubs, therefore it isn't really going to affect 99.9% of young players in the country as they'll have signed a pro contract with their club before they hit the top clubs' radars?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
didn't know it included getting rid of the 90 minute rule, that is huge and seemingly gone under the radar

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
£20m is for training facilities.
Ok.

Point remains though, you're starting an Academy from scratch, where's the benefit?

5 of the best academies country-wide are in the Championship. Palace, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, West Ham and Southampton. Not only in terms of players produced, but facilities as well.

What's the point in continuing?

Man U can now approach the family, offer them whatever they want to leave, and the Championship team get sod all.

I know it's being announced today a partnership what gives our Academy Grade 1 status. From U12s up, they'll all be in the same classes at the same school at Harris Academy.

So, an agent sits outside the school with some contracts, signs them all and we're screwed.

Disgraceful.

If it wasn't for the fact that i'd give my life for Crystal Palace, i'd give up on football.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Basically, anyone who has invested or is intending to invest in a High Quality Academy is f***ed over by this.

If I was Bloom, I wouldn't even bother. £20m towards a new academy wasn't it? You'd have to have 200 players taken off you to fund it now.

Another example of corruption and something that should be taken through the courts. Just like the Bosman situation.

20m for training and acadamy.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I really must be misunderstanding this as I don't see it as that big an issue. We're a long way from producing players aged 16 or below that are going to be of interest enough to the big clubs as are most clubs, therefore it isn't really going to affect 99.9% of young players in the country as they'll have signed a pro contract with their club before they hit the top clubs' radars?

Player shows promise at 14/15 clubs swoop and get him for minimal fee before he plays for first team. Repeat 2 or 3 times if you have a good batch of kids that year. Top clubs sign players at a very young age in the hope that 1 or 2 go to the top while discarding the others because it is very cheap to sign them pre 18 and could potentially save them and make them a lot of money in the future

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
didn't know it included getting rid of the 90 minute rule, that is huge and seemingly gone under the radar

Apparently the rule that youngsters have to be local to their club was unfair because seaside towns had a smaller catchment area, given that half of the aforementioned 60 mile radius would have been covered in sea. I kid you not. What a horrible idea that we force young players to play for their local club. Whatever next.

I will be seriously annoyed if I find we did not vote against these measures. Yes, there are very few cases in the past where this would have affected us. However, the point still stands that it is not fair that big clubs can cherry pick the best young prospects from small clubs and pay them a pittance in return.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Apparently the rule that youngsters have to be local to their club was unfair because seaside towns had a smaller catchment area, given that half of the aforementioned 60 mile radius would have been covered in sea. I kid you not. What a horrible idea that we force young players to play for their local club. Whatever next.

I will be seriously annoyed if I find we did not vote against these measures. Yes, there are very few cases in the past where this would have affected us. However, the point still stands that it is not fair that big clubs can cherry pick the best young prospects from small clubs and pay them a pittance in return.

Amazing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here