Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

football for under the under 6

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Seriously, the problem is that clubs don't have much freedom, as they are dictated by what the FA tells them, and IMHO it's wrong. Last spring / summer, my son (then 7) wanted to join his mates at the local team, and I went along with it.

The football season in the age groups was over, so it went quite well as it was training for an hour on a Saturday morning, with a few skills, and a little game. Then they starting asking me about the following season, and I was keen for him to join up, BUT, I was told,

"Well, we are over sub-scribed for next seasons squad, so we'll be selecting the squad over the next few weeks."

Basically, it's 7-a-side football, but the FA limits clubs to squads of 10 for games, and maximum 12 for squads (or similar, not 100% sure of those numbers). So that means they only have 2 players they can afford to have missing each week or they are short on players. That meant they were quizzing me about how "committed" my son would be to training and playing all of next season, because they can't afford to give a spot to a kid who drops out when it gets cold .... blah, blah blah.

At 7, you can't be sure your boy won't change his mind 3 times on the car journey, let alone guarantee he'll train Saturdays and play Sundays for the next YEAR! I told them as much, and I think my honesty did him no favours, and he wasn't "selected". I was allowed to bring him to training though as a "non-squad member"!

Well, he soon lost interest in that as every week at training all the other kids were talking about last weeks game, and the next days game. As a result, he doesn't play football for a local club, and I don't think he's missing out.

To make it so formal - and the training was often defenders vs attackers, the kids had been pigeon-holed already! - just turned us off it. He loves a kick-around in the park with me or his mates, but signing up for a team can wait a few years thanks.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
thing is kids dont play out like we used to
so to have someone he can kick a ball about with he needs a club of somesort . It does'nt have to be competitive just somewhere
he can go and play with others .If he learns anything thats a bonus
That's fair enough. Just make sure he doesn't join a club where at seven or eight he'll be expected to play competitive games in a formal league.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
i dont understand i found a karate club for my boy no problem
yet im struggling to find him somewhere to play our national sport ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That doesn't exist...Under 7/8's results are not allowed to be recorded.

It does .... they just don't "publish" their results. But amongst themselves they do. You have squads registered from the start of teh season, and they can't make changes to that. Just becuase the result doesn't appear in the local rag doesn't make the reality any less formal.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
That's fair enough. Just make sure he doesn't join a club where at seven or eight he'll be expected to play competitive games in a formal league.

am i missing something ?
we all used to play from that age

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That doesn't exist...Under 7/8's results are not allowed to be recorded.
I said AT seven or eight, not UNDER. The Mid-Sussex League had an U9's league. Plus there were summer six-a-side tournaments for that age group. Believe you me we've got a whole boxful of plastic trophies!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Basically, it's 7-a-side football, but the FA limits clubs to squads of 10 for games, and maximum 12 for squads (or similar, not 100% sure of those numbers).

That's totally rubbish and incorrect...(not you but what the club have told you!)

Teams can sign on as many players as they like providing there is a 16:1 ratio for coaches (that includes parent helpers helpers) to children.

In fact if the team in question plays children at Under 7 for longer than 30 minutes in one day, then it is THEY who are in breach of FA guidelines.

In the Sussex Sunday Youth League(SSYFL), at mini soccer, we have two matches of 7 a side per week which usually lasts around 15-20 minutes per half.

I'll PM you with more info...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
am i missing something ?
we all used to play from that age
Exactly! That's why England have been so shit for the last forty four years!

No, seriously, it's not the playing, it's the coaching, specifically the coaching required to get teams win the Mid-Sussex U9's league. If you read the stories of the old players (Bobby Charlton etc) they didn't play formal matches until they were eleven, and up till then (and after) it was mass, informal street games without an adult in sight. As you say those days have gone, especially for six year olds, and so playing in the confines of a club is probably the only thing. The leagues, and the kits and the trophies I suppose are all part of the modern British love of rules, regulations, structure and order. Doesn't produce creative footballers though.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Exactly! That's why England have been so shit for the last forty four years!

No, seriously, it's not the playing, it's the coaching, specifically the coaching required to get teams win the Mid-Sussex U9's league. If you read the stories of the old players (Bobby Charlton etc) they didn't play formal matches until they were eleven, and up till then (and after) it was mass, informal street games without an adult in sight. As you say those days have gone, especially for six year olds, and so playing in the confines of a club is probably the only thing. The leagues, and the kits and the trophies I suppose are all part of the modern British love of rules, regulations, structure and order. Doesn't produce creative footballers though.

Totally agree...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think again its all about 'appropriate coaching' for age groups and for individuals, there are many bad examples and no doubt some good examples.

I think most agree the word 'coaching' and Under 7's doesn't sit comfortably with most, but if the 'coach' is encouraging, flexible and kind then giving opportunities to these youngsters within a fun and safe environment is good thing and should be considered as good coaching.

I think its the same with publishing results etc, I think sometimes its a bit of red herring, as irrespective of the guidelines bad coaches will be bad and similarly good coaches would be good accepting winning or losing in a constructive way.

I also think that at some stage you have to be selective and grading in a considered manner whilst offering a free pathway between teams and again good coaching would mean that this ethos could be clearly explained to both children and parents, ensuring that the 'B' team enjoys the same input, support and importance as any other team.

It is only when bad coaching offers great support for an 'A' team whilst being dismissive and inconsistence of his 'B' team.

Again actually having an 'A' and 'B' team isnt the direct problem it is the managing of it.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
what was that game called we used to play
where everyone wasa team of sorts and you had a goalkeeper
wembley i think we used to call it

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I think again its all about 'appropriate coaching' for age groups and for individuals, there are many bad examples and no doubt some good examples.

I think most agree the word 'coaching' and Under 7's doesn't sit comfortably with most, but if the 'coach' is encouraging, flexible and kind then giving opportunities to these youngsters within a fun and safe environment is good thing and should be considered as good coaching.

I think its the same with publishing results etc, I think sometimes its a bit of red herring, as irrespective of the guidelines bad coaches will be bad and similarly good coaches would be good accepting winning or losing in a constructive way.

I also think that at some stage you have to be selective and grading in a considered manner whilst offering a free pathway between teams and again good coaching would mean that this ethos could be clearly explained to both children and parents, ensuring that the 'B' team enjoys the same input, support and importance as any other team.

It is only when bad coaching offers great support for an 'A' team whilst being dismissive and inconsistence of his 'B' team.

Again actually having an 'A' and 'B' team isnt the direct problem it is the managing of it.

surely at that age a and b teams would be very interchangable ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
what was that game called we used to play
where everyone wasa team of sorts and you had a goalkeeper
wembley i think we used to call it

Along with wall ball, the game Wembley is killing English football.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
surely at that age a and b teams would be very interchangable ?

Most definitely, but as the culture within a well run club should mean that the A & B teams held a similar status so that would not be too problematic.

Again good coaching wouldn't mean decisions made on individual weekly performances, but on a medium term basis.

Ultimately you are always having to select a number of players anyway, so to construct a flexible selection process is important if done properly.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Even within the best run youth football clubs, you can get a manager who gets carried away and focussing on winning rather than enjoyment and development. It's up to the club as a whole to monitor this and ensure that things don't get out of control. That said, some clubs want to be the best and will push and discard kids as needed to get the results.

My club is based on the football for all philosophy and with our five u10 teams this year one team won their division, one won a cup and a tournament, another got to their cup final. However, we also had two teams who finished as the bottom two of the lowest division. Some of the boys in the D & E teams came from clubs where they never got to play as they were not considered good enough. As a coach /manager, the joy these boys get from actually playing is more rewarding than any tight 1-0 win. The group all mix together, we have shared coaching resources and some of the boys in those bottom two teams will be playing at a higher level next season as they have improved through access to this coaching.

The important thing with coaching younger kids - especially in those u6, u7, u8 days - is learning through fun. I've seen coaches run linear drills for dribbling and shooting on a freezing cold December morning and wondering why the kids are disinterested. There are loads of fun games you can use to teach kids the basics without it being boring. Yes - you do sometimes need to work on technique but at age 5 will a kid prefer to go home to his mum and say "today I learned how to dribble a ball properly" or say "mum, I played a really fun game of Doctor Doctor"? (for those who don't know, Doctor Doctor is a fun dribbling game).

The best thing for any parent is to get along and see what the clubs do at their sessions. It's also worth speaking to other parents to see what their views are.

One other thing to remember. A coach I know went out and spent some time in Holland at their academies. He spoke to some of the people who coached one well known player in his teenage years. At the time, they could see he had ability but struggled to get him to bring this into matches. He played across their A, B & C teams as they tried to find his best position and as he got used to his growing body. They didn't give up on him and eventually it all clicked. His name - Denis Bergkamp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here