Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Eurosport

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sky by a country mile.

They don't just cut to adverts like ITV for the hell of it and their analysis is second to none

BBC are the old boys club and are pretty cringy these days.

World cup coverage I expect the BBC will be challenging but anything else they are crap

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The BBC for live games, by a mile. Although the joyless golf buddies on Match of the Day are awful and well past their sell-by date.

Sky is very good at telling people just how great Sky is. And hey, it seems to work.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
From what I have seen on Setanta both Rangers and Celtic would Struggle in the Championship.

i have this arguement with both sets of fans up here almost on a daily basis, they say but if we had the tv money that the english clubs get, i say you have to get to the premiership first and theres 72 other league clubs trying to do the same thing and most of them would give you a game. But the only way to prove this is let them come. If Leeds and Forest struggle to get out of league one, so would they.

I am a BBC man through and through and am gutted that the BBC has gradually had its sport coverage eroded by SKY's money.
But because of this money SKY has the ability to put on better coverage for domestic football than the BBC, which is a shame but that is life nowadays.
It will interesting to see what the Football League coverage will be like by the BBC next season.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
i have this arguement with both sets of fans up here almost on a daily basis, they say but if we had the tv money that the english clubs get, i say you have to get to the premiership first and theres 72 other league clubs trying to do the same thing and most of them would give you a game. But the only way to prove this is let them come. If Leeds and Forest struggle to get out of league one, so would they.

Its a bit cheeky of them. To think they could walk into the premiership and grab the cash. Do you know how much cash they get off setanta for TV coverage?

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I hope all you sky subscribers never post on here about players wages and the poor state of the game and how the premiership don't give a stuff about the the rest of the clubs because you endorse everything that is wrong with the top level of football in this country.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
BBC for me, Sky is so over-the-top with all the fancy graphics (which make weird knife sharpening noises for some unknown reason), annoying shouty commentators and countless advert breaks. ITV and Setanta are just joke channels.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
BBC for me, Sky is so over-the-top with all the fancy graphics (which make weird knife sharpening noises for some unknown reason), annoying shouty commentators and countless advert breaks. ITV and Setanta are just joke channels.

Mine does that sometimes, thought it was just mine evidently not.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Historically the BBC's sports coverage was unrivalled, but those days are long gone and overall Sky are the best now. The modern BBC are probably on a par with SKY when it comes to live football coverage as both have dreadful commentators, but sometimes a BBC summariser manages to say something intelligent as opposed to Andy Gray's 'absolutely fantastic, take a bow, son' However the Sky studio programmes piss all over the BBC (compare Jeff Stelling and Soccer Saturday to Final Score) and of course Football Focus and MoTD are both pale, pale shadows of their former selves.

And Sky have test cricket, american football, speedway etc - all of which they cover admirably.

It's difficult; in terms of TV, Sky's commentators are better than Motty, while their presentation is generally better, but anyone is a better analyst than Andy Gray.

To be honest the ideal solution is Sky's pictures (turned off for half time so no adverts or staring at Jamie Redknapp) allied with Five Live commentary. The 5live commentators and analysts are far far superior to anything on offer on Sky or BBC. I don't know why it is, but even David Pleat occasionally makes sense on 5 Live.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
You say overall coverage - well BBC only covers premiership so that's them out.
For non-premiership, ITV have got The Championship on Sun morns but better than that is Sky's Big League Weekend as well as their occasional live games.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I don't watch football on TV. I know I'm in a minority, but the diving, cheating and general celebrity nature of the footballers, referees and "pundits" that appear on TV is so appalling I can't be arsed. This includes international matches too I'm afraid. I've long since given up watching the Three Lions, going back to when they started being more interested in their celebrity status than England Caps.

I would watch the Albion on TV, but that'd be unlikely because I'd more likely be at the game.

I've got to agree with you on this one, apart from the England games.

The lads where I work always get worked up about Champions League, European and Premiershp games...I find them all boring and you very rarely get the blood & thunder games that you'd see in the Football LEague because all the footballers are frightened of breaking a nail or smudging their make up.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The 5live commentators and analysts are far far superior to anything on offer on Sky or BBC.

It's funny - Alan Green makes me want to hurl babies against the wall, then vomit green PUS onto their shattered remains. Cannot. Stand. Him.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It's funny - Alan Green makes me want to hurl babies against the wall, then vomit green PUS onto their shattered remains. Cannot. Stand. Him.

Used to be okay but he's terrible now. Not only does he moan about everything but he also has this incredible sense of self-importance whenever he calls a decision, and he spends the whole time chuckling to himself and pronoucing thins a "joke" or a "disgrace" as if it's the first time a referee has ever got a decision wrong. He is awful.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Anyone who hasn't voted for Sky falls into one of these categories:

Doesn't have sky and won't admit that their coverage is miles better when they watch it in the boozer.
Thinks Rupert Murdoch has ruined their lives.
Hates Andy Grey with a passion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sky's coverage is generally very good apart from one thing that annoys the hell out of me - Andy Gray.

Put simply - he's f***ing shite.

Example - last night after 85 mins he was extolling the fact that Barcelona had not had a shot on target all match when, in reality, this was a completely meaningless statistic because, as Brian Clough once said, it only takes a second to score a goal.

Top quality sides like Barca go to the bitter end, and given there were 3 or 4 more minutes of normal time and 4 minutes of added time they were BOUND to get a shot on target sooner or later.

This isn't me with the benefit of hindsight either, I said to the wife "this bloke's a prick if he thinks Barca won't have a decent chance before the end".

Also, I don't know what his problem with Spurs is but it's obvious he doesn't like them.

As for ITV, their continued employment of David Pleat has rendered their coverage permanently irritating.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Sky's coverage is generally very good apart from one thing that annoys the hell out of me - Andy Gray.

Put simply - he's f***ing shite.

Example - last night after 85 mins he was extolling the fact that Barcelona had not had a shot on target all match when, in reality, this was a completely meaningless statistic because, as Brian Clough once said, it only takes a second to score a goal.

Top quality sides like Barca go to the bitter end, and given there were 3 or 4 more minutes of normal time and 4 minutes of added time they were BOUND to get a shot on target sooner or later.

This isn't me with the benefit of hindsight either, I said to the wife "this bloke's a prick if he thinks Barca won't have a decent chance before the end".

Also, I don't know what his problem with Spurs is but it's obvious he doesn't like them.

As for ITV, their continued employment of David Pleat has rendered their coverage permanently irritating.

Andy Gray is a commentator dim wit thats what they do analyse things, otherwise they would not be there

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Used to be okay but he's terrible now. Not only does he moan about everything but he also has this incredible sense of self-importance whenever he calls a decision, and he spends the whole time chuckling to himself and pronoucing thins a "joke" or a "disgrace" as if it's the first time a referee has ever got a decision wrong. He is awful.

He was on the radio the other week and the presenter asked Green who he thought might win a particular match. He pompously said something like "the result of that match doesn't interest me, I simply could care less". The there was a pregant pause before the presenter said (with a hint of exasperation), "I was only asking your opinion on the outcome" before asked his other guest the same question.

Green is a prick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here