Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Football comedy on TV.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I recall one of his phone-ins where it was raining during a Sunday game.

The referee didn't want to get wet so officiated it from his car, using windscreen wipers, headlamps and indicators to illustrate his decisions.

Fairly sure it was a teacher acting as ref. Here is his Sunday League show.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Still Game series 8 episode 3 Balls Up , walking football mind but still funny as is the whole series

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There was a play from the 70's about a referee trying to keep order in a park game. Set up North, and a side plot of the local kids robbing the changing rooms.

I've searched BBC play for today episodes and youtube, but no luck.

Anyone any ideas and able to find it please?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Can’t find it but when I was living in the States there was a brilliant NBC trailer for Coach Lasso.

“A wanker needs to be alone with his thoughts”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can’t find it but when I was living in the States there was a brilliant NBC trailer for Coach Lasso.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The King Gary series 1, episode 2, is a great send-up of running a kids football team. Very funny, but sadly all too close to reality.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The King Gary series 1, episode 2, is a great send-up of running a kids football team. Very funny, but sadly all too close to reality.
Yeah we watched that a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed.
Still Game series 8 episode 3 Balls Up , walking football mind but still funny as is the whole series
We'd not watched Still Game before and did really enjoy that episode.

Thanks for the heads up, that was exactly what I was after.

As with that, Gary King, Father Ted et al it's worryingly very easy to name check Jnrs coach. :lolol:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Yeah we watched that a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed.

We'd not watched Still Game before and did really enjoy that episode.

Thanks for the heads up, that was exactly what I was after.

As with that, Gary King, Father Ted et al it's worryingly very easy to name check Jnrs coach. :lolol:
Series 1-8 is available on Netflix & 9 on BBC I player , really is a great programme if you fancy a laugh anytime :thumbsup:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I had to google the title but I remembered watching a football based sitcom in the 70s which was awful

It was called Feet First

It was about a non league player being transferred to a top team

The only scene I remember was a training session where they were being shown how to roll around and look at the camera when they were injured

It really was terrible and they only made 6 episodes

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I'm just watching Ted Lasso and I thought I recognised the Nelson Road stadium...

Watched episode 1 last night,quite enjoyed it, not sure if there is enough plot to keep it going but will certainly watch the next few. I wonder how much Palace got for allowing filming at Selhurst.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

Now sbowing on Apple TV.,and availa le to dl from the usual sites. Quite a good first episode.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Well, I am a bit nervous about mentioning this. Maybe it has been discussed elsewhere and dismissed as being at a level with Mrs Brown's Boys.
Generally my taste in comedy is impeccably correct but then occasionally I seem to veer off from the 'NSC consensus' (eg I like Michael McIntyre).

But I think 'First Team' Is actually very watchable.

It's no Spaced, but has some genuinely funny bits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here