Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Book Recommendations

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm reading the AJax one Starry recommends, at the moment and personally I think its dull.

'Dynamo' is my favourite ever book. Please get that - it is remarkable.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
There was an ovel out a few years back called The Ripple Effect by Dominic Holland.

It is about a struggling footbal club taken over my a dodgy chairman who plans to run down the club and sell the ground to property developers, and the supporters subsequent fight to save there club.

Sound familiar?

Apparantly is was inspired by our fight against Archer

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
though its a bit old now, sir bobby robsons is the best ive read...covers so much well worth a look

also enjoyed neil warnocks auto which might surprise a few people but a really good read

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
These are all a few years old but still worth a read:

Harry Pearson - The Far Corner. A season spent watching games in the North-East, ranging from Premier League to local league. Frequently hilarious one of my favourite writers.

Phil Ball - Morbo. Story of Spanish football.

Tony Cascarino's football autobiography. Having heard Cascarino on TalkSport, you'd barely believe he was capable of such a well-written and fascinating story. Truth is, he had a very good ghostwriter.

The Gary Imlach book is excellent.

Someone just bought me a book about Stoke, 'and she laughed no more' can anyone else say if its any good.

Seconded and thirded for Gary Imlach's book - it is a good book, period. It just happens to feature football and, as one of the reviews on it suggests, should be compulsory reading for all current players.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I'd say Addicted by Tony Adams & i really liked We don't know what we're doing here by Adrian Chiles

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Seconded and thirded for Gary Imlach's book - it is a good book, period. It just happens to feature football and, as one of the reviews on it suggests, should be compulsory reading for all current players.

The bit about the '59 Cup Final programme notes asking the players what they planned to do when they hung up their boots. Lots of replies about going into joinery and becoming electricians; not much about starting academies or managing. And the picture of his Dad FINALLY wearing his cap. Heartwarming and breaking in equal measure.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
I would recommend this one, not just because it was written by an Albion legend, but it is also a good read:

41C0GG5BKXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

and also the sequel "Left foot in the Grave" primarily about the year when Nelse was a coach at Torquay - had a young player called Charlie Oatway in the squad, wonder if he went on to do any good?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It would be interesting to know how many 'autobiographies' of the various footballers have been sold. There must be some sort of figure floating about.

The latest I can find is way back in 2006...

Review: 5 football autobiographies | Books | The Observer

These are the latest sales figures, courtesy of The Bookseller, for our quintet: Gerrard 76,459; Rooney 36,973; Lampard 26,662; Ferdinand 7,651; Cole: 3,128.

theBookseller.com | Daily News and Comment for the book business is a great website, by the way.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The one he did before, She Stood There Laughing, was good, a great account of what it's like to follow a team/club who are essentially a bit crap. I didn't know he'd done another one, it might be interesting if he can bring that lower league sensibility to the more ridiculous aspects of the Premiership.

Thanks for that I have just ordered a second hand copy from amazon of this one as well and will read it first.

I enjoyed the Gary Nelson ones and the Verona one as well. I got bought this one for Christmas and its small text and a bit complex but really enjoyable, its about the History of footbal tactics, and starts with everyone chasing a pigs bladder to the modern day of one up front and a packed midfield, covers Scotlands influnence to Uruguay, Hungary,Italy, Brazil, Holland, Germany and England on the game. Very insightful and eye openeing about tactics and systems.

Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathon Wilson

Attachments

• Inverting.jpg
    Inverting.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 55

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here