Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Book Recommendations

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
As we come towards holiday time, I look to further my knowledge and enjoyment of our fine national pastime whilst reclining in the sun.

As 'word of mouth' is a tried and trusted method, can anybody point me in the direction of a good book. Here's mine - just for you:

51u+IiGtt+L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and

myfather.jpg

And remember to follow the link through NSC when ordering! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I've just been bought about a dozen football books from the better half for our anniversary, just read the first one which was Jeff Stellings autobiography 'Jelleymans thrown a Wobbly' which was very dissapointing.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If you haven't read it yet, FA confidential by David Davis is very good, and even has 2 pages on our problems under Belotti and co.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The Gary Imlach book is excellent.

Someone just bought me a book about Stoke, 'and she laughed no more' can anyone else say if its any good.

Attachments

• Stoke.jpg
    Stoke.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 300

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Gary Imlach book is excellent.

Someone just bought me a book about Stoke, 'and she laughed no more' can anyone else say if its any good.
The one he did before, She Stood There Laughing, was good, a great account of what it's like to follow a team/club who are essentially a bit crap. I didn't know he'd done another one, it might be interesting if he can bring that lower league sensibility to the more ridiculous aspects of the Premiership.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've read that Brian Clough one, I thought it was superb. One of the best I've read.
As for my recommendation:

51BX2JDQEXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They've just made it into a film called 'One Night in Turin' I believe.
Fabulous read.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Spose many have read it, but if not, this:

mcgrath.jpg

Only half about football really, also about being an orphan and alcoholism. Still great though.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would recommend this one, not just because it was written by an Albion legend, but it is also a good read:

41C0GG5BKXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
Dynamo,about Dynamo Kievs games against the Germany army in the second world war
is a brilliant book. Left foot forward as mentioned is decent,Damned United is a good book.

Call me a philistine but I also enjoyed Gullhanger and Smith must score

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
One's that haven't been mentioned yet.

I'm about to start this one... (I'll let you know what I think)

Trautmann's Journey: From Hitler Youth to FA Cup Legend

519bhBdgFeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed this one...

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro

.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ooh Aah Stantona is a suprisingly good read. The life of Phil Stant including the early years when he was a soldier in the Falklands war, through to being encouraged by his superior officer to go and try out for Reading. A good holiday read, and will raise your opinion of a great journeyman player.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
pointless, a season with britain's worst football team - pretty obvious what it's about from the title but it is a worthy read about what goes on or doesn't go on behind the scenes when everything is going wrong.

ajax, the dutch, the war - great book, it is a bit to do with nazi and jewish and less to do with tactics and offside. more to do with the human side of football. great read.

the robin friday book - the greatest footballer you never saw is another good one.

english football when flair wore flares - a lighter book than the ajax one and highly amusing.

king john - the best football book i have read, not just because of who it was about but because of what he did, how he did it and all that other stuff.

i am rubbish at book reviews, but these are all great books. the miracle at castel di sangro mentioned above is another good one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here