Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football abroad

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
With Ryanair constantly offering all these cheap flights, we are looking to go abroad soon to watch a game in germany or anywhere really in europe. Has anyone been, and recommend any cities or grounds with really good atmosphere etc and somewhere good but cheap to stay?
Looking ahead, can get deals to frankfurt or Hamburg amongst others.
Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
I'd recommend Borussia Dortmund. Easy to get to and just the 80,000 fans for every home match. Around a tenner to get in as well and as much beer as you want on the terracing. Dreamy.

If you want to read about them or other matches abroad then *shameless plug* you can have a look at my European Football Weekends website.

If you need tickets for Borussia Dortmund then give me a shout. I have a good contact there and so I can normally get tickets easily enough for their home matches.

Hope that helps old chap!?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Thanks for that, remember noticing your website before so will have a read through. Dortmund was recommended to me by a friend as well, so may well get back to you regarding tickets if thats ok as my german isnt all that for the ticketing websites.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
went to the alianz in may to see 1860 munich v hansa rostock - fantastic stadium, especially with the opportunity to stand up and drink beer, with the added bonus that munich is a brilliant place

heading over to ukraine in november and hoping to catch one of the kiev teams in action

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
heading over to ukraine in november and hoping to catch one of the kiev teams in action

Went today to watch Arsenal Kiev v Dinamo Kiev. It was awful, Dinamo grabbing a 1-0 win from a Shevchenko free kick. Stadium holds just over 5000 and had to buy illegally from touts avoiding the police. We did see arrests for buying!! Make sure Dinamo are at home as it will be much easier to get tickets on the day, or if Arsenal are playing a minor side, but it's quite atrek out to their ground.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
So many places, so little time!

In Germany, Dortmund, Schalke, Hamburg and Moenchengladbach are all massive clubs with massive grounds.
Don't hesitate to go and see Kaiserslutern or 1860 Munich even though they play in Div 2 - you won't be disappointed by German football.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'd confirm Dortmund as a great place to watch a game. Saw them play Hamburg a couple of years ago. Bought a ticket at the club shop (which was unhelpfully out of town) but it was less than a tenner. 80000 there. Terracing behind the goals. Excellent.

Paris SG was also a good one at Parc des Princes. NIcer city than Dortmund, but less of a football experience.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
another vote for dortmund. can't imagine there's a better sight in european football than THAT terrace. bayern munich is also a goodun in my experience. you can sit in your seat or stand on the tarraces sipping BEER if you wish - that's how football should be.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You won't get a better atmosphere than at Cádiz - even though they don't have a roof!

And Jerez airport just up the road.

A taxi driver pointed out to me that one of quite normal looking hotels near the airport is actually a brothel ?

Can you confirm...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Boulogne. It's the closest. And it looks like Withdean, so you'll be right at home.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
i went to Kaiserlauten last week (f***ing amazing). It was against Karlstruhe, their rivals in Div 2, attendance was 40k, and was the noisiest game i have been to, except for England V Germany, and Scotland V England.

Amazing. 21e for the ticket. My germans friends at work, told me to see Dortmund next, or Stuttgart.

There were guys at the front with those tango things lol. The home end of kaiserlauten opp the away end is terracing, and were all jumping up and down. also NO segregation between home and away fans, just an isle, no stewards either.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Another vote for German football here. Have been to HSV and the Allianz Arena but my vote would be for Hertha or Nurnburg. Would love to go to the Westfalenstadion but have always been put off by the thought of a whole weekend in Dortmund.

A taxi driver pointed out to me that one of quite normal looking hotels near the airport is actually a brothel ?

Can you confirm...

No idea, but if it has the word Club on the wall of the hotel then the answer is yes! The last time I was at Jerez airport there were no hotels, certainly not what you would describe as airport hotels

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here