Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football 365 article

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I saw this yesterday, took one look at the title and that was enough. Second team :rolleyes:
Depends what one means by "second team" I think. For example, if he follows the Championship closely but also follows the PL race at a distance (and if you follow football it's nearly impossible not to be aware of what happens your own country's top division) then it's natural to have some irrational preferences or dislikes for some PL clubs, even if obviously he's not as invested as he is with his local team.

E.g. I don't really care who wins in England, (or France/Spain/Germany) but since I'm curious about how RDZ is doing I'm also occasionally following your progress, and so if I had to choose a PL club to win it all I'd choose Brighton. Does that make you my "second team"? I don't think so, but it's really only a couple years removed from what that author is doing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I never had a second team when we were in the wilderness of L1 and L2, I don't really understand that. But, you can admire the style of play of a side, or their achievements against the odds, and we are recognised as doing well with both of those at the minute, so I can imagine for those without a dog in the PL fight, we probably have a lot of well wishers.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I never had a second team when we were in the wilderness of L1 and L2, I don't really understand that. But, you can admire the style of play of a side, or their achievements against the odds, and we are recognised as doing well with both of those at the minute, so I can imagine for those without a dog in the PL fight, we probably have a lot of well wishers.
Same. I remember some plastic man u fan asking me what team I supported, when I said "Brighton" he said "yeah but what proper team?" I gave him a look of utter distain that only a seriously pissed off woman can give, and he walked away

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Depends what one means by "second team" I think. For example, if he follows the Championship closely but also follows the PL race at a distance (and if you follow football it's nearly impossible not to be aware of what happens your own country's top division) then it's natural to have some irrational preferences or dislikes for some PL clubs, even if obviously he's not as invested as he is with his local team.

E.g. I don't really care who wins in England, (or France/Spain/Germany) but since I'm curious about how RDZ is doing I'm also occasionally following your progress, and so if I had to choose a PL club to win it all I'd choose Brighton. Does that make you my "second team"? I don't think so, but it's really only a couple years removed from what that author is doing.

Preferences and dislikes, yes, but not a "second team". That I just do not get. I've lived in various cities around the world and have always taken an interest in the local clubs. I've never been able to get emotionally invested in another team though. Had I stayed in Cagliari longer perhaps it could've happened as it was such a great match day experience. However, 5 years following the fortunes of Almeria and though I wish them well I can't muster much more than a smile if they win and a ho hum when they lose.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Same. I remember some plastic man u fan asking me what team I supported, when I said "Brighton" he said "yeah but what proper team?" I gave him a look of utter distain that only a seriously pissed off woman can give, and he walked away
Absolutely yes, and I've always been the same. When we were knocking around the arse end of the football league for all those years, I never had a "big club" I also looked out for.

But my take from the article is that the author, Lewis Oldham, wouldn't reply to that same question with "Brighton", because's a Rotherham supporter. Brighton is a club he has a soft spot for, a team he may check out the latest result, a team he may want to win when they're playing others in the same league. At a push, Brighton is a team he now loosely follows.

I think people are reading a little bit too much into the second club thing.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Absolutely yes, and I've always been the same. When we were knocking around the arse end of the football league for all those years, I never had a "big club" I also looked out for.

But my take from the article is that the author, Lewis Oldham, wouldn't reply to that same question with "Brighton", because's a Rotherham supporter. Brighton is a club he has a soft spot for, a team he may check out the latest result, a team he may want to win when they're playing others in the same league. At a push, Brighton is a team he now loosely follows.

I think people are reading a little bit too much into the second club thing.
I agree the article is fine, following fortunes of a club who has been where your club is, but is now doing really well is fine. It is what we all aspired to.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A look I know well.

:lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Preferences and dislikes, yes, but not a "second team". That I just do not get. I've lived in various cities around the world and have always taken an interest in the local clubs. I've never been able to get emotionally invested in another team though. Had I stayed in Cagliari longer perhaps it could've happened as it was such a great match day experience. However, 5 years following the fortunes of Almeria and though I wish them well I can't muster much more than a smile if they win and a ho hum when they lose.
I think you can support your team (Albion), but also 'follow' other teams as a 'second' team.

I've had many of the latter over the years – for many different reasons: Everton; Coventry; Boreham Wood; Aberdeen and Arsenal, for example. Not much more than a passing interest in any of them (maybe Everton, but I was very young), but I'd always look out for their results – as a non-fan/supporter.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think you can support your team (Albion), but also 'follow' other teams as a 'second' team.

I've had many of the latter over the years – for many different reasons: Everton; Coventry; Boreham Wood; Aberdeen and Arsenal, for example. Not much more than a passing interest in any of them (maybe Everton, but I was very young), but I'd always look out for their results – as a non-fan/supporter.

Really it comes down to semantics. I always look out for the results of Almeria, Betis and Cagliari, amongst others. I'd never say of them were my second team though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Really it comes down to semantics. I always look out for the results of Almeria, Betis and Cagliari, amongst others. I'd never say of them were my second team though.
Third, fourth and fifth teams? :wink:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To me having a second team is like having a another woman on the go.

Can seem like a good idea when you're younger, but it doesn't take too long to realise that the masses of energy you expend, the increased complexity, as well as the ruinous effect on your finances means it's probably better just to pick one for better or worse.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But yes there are differing levels of feeling towards other teams. Normally based on run ins we've had with them or the way they play or whether they have any players I like. I'd never call one a second team though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I saw this yesterday, took one look at the title and that was enough. Second team :rolleyes:
Give it a chance. He's saying that if one does go along that road, then better to be different and not choose man u, Liverpool etc.

I am not one to have a second team, although I follow Shrewsbury's results as my father's family were from up that way. Loads of us fall into that category.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I guess Bobkin Jnr's U14s team is a legitimate 'second' team. I often (not so much this season, admittedly) enjoy watching his games more than the Albion!

He's already a 20-goal a season striker, too!
:goal:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I witnessed a brilliant moment linked to this a few years ago. My mate’s 12 year old nephew who supports West Ham asked my best mate who is a Leeds season ticket holder who he supported.

“Who do you support, Ed?”
“Leeds”
“No I mean which big team”

And the whole group of me and my mates pissed ourselves laughing. Ed realised that to anyone under 16 Leeds are crap and small. Wonderful scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here