Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foot and Mouth: Just arrived at a farm near you (if you live in Surrey)

1066gull

not again!!!

a farm in surrey has just been found to be affected with foot and mouth disease!!

uk-wide restrictions once again....

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Cattle in southern England have been found to be infected with foot and mouth.

A spokesman for Defra said animals on a farm near Guildford in Surrey had tested positive for the disease.

1345915.jpg

Animals culled in 2001 outbreak

He said: "Following an investigation of suspected vesicular disease by Animal Health on a holding near Guildford in Surrey, laboratory results have indicated that the Foot and Mouth Disease virus is present in samples from cattle on the premises."

The spokesman said: "On the basis of initial laboratory results, Debby Reynolds, UK Chief Veterinary Officer, has confirmed Foot and Mouth Disease."

In accordance with the legislation, all the cattle on the premises will be culled, he said.

A protection zone, three kilometres in radius, and a surveillance zone of 10 kilometres has been placed around the premises.

A national movement ban of all ruminants and pigs has been imposed.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
a farm in surrey has just been found to be affected with foot and mouth disease!!

uk-wide restrictions once again....

The thread title is more appropriate that you think......

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The news has spread quickly, I am listening to a Belgian radio station, they are already reporting it.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Whatever happened to Bird Flu?

The big difference between today and 2001 is that in 2001 the government responded to the first sign of foot and mouth by introducing restrictions on the movement of animals around an abbatoir in Essex and a few farms in Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire and on the Isle of Wight.

This time, they have immediately banned livestock movements across the whole of Great Britain.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Bless you.........

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 143

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Saw this on the TV in the pub, thought Sky News were running a "5 years ago today" section for a bit.

Not a-f***ing-gain, that disinfectant eats the soles off your shoes.

Saw this on the TV in the pub, thought Sky News were running a "5 years ago today" section for a bit.

Not a-f***ing-gain, that disinfectant eats the soles off your shoes.
What I remember from 2001 was driving from Fermanagh into the Republic and having to stop the car at the border, get out and wipe our feet before going any further. It was just like being a kid and visiting your auntie.

Going the other way a couple of hours later, we were allowed back into the UK without any such formalities. It didn't quite seem right.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There go the beef exports for another 5 years.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Does this mean Cowes week is cancelled?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Croydon is in Surrey and we know that a football team from there has severe outbreaks of Mad Cow Disease amongst it's following.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
What I remember from 2001 was driving from Fermanagh into the Republic and having to stop the car at the border, get out and wipe our feet before going any further. It was just like being a kid and visiting your auntie.

Going the other way a couple of hours later, we were allowed back into the UK without any such formalities. It didn't quite seem right.

Yeah, we were actually trying to stop it getting in, didn't work in the end but that was because some scumbag farmer was smuggling sheep; IIRC he went down for it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I remember walking through Dallas Fort Worth and having to wipe my feet there !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here