Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food Prices

1066gull

Is it me or does food appear to cost a lot more than it did back in September?

Maybe its me being stupid and such a difference cannot be seen in such a short time, but it feeles like 2-4 quid is being whopped on the essentials I buy. Is inflation to blame?

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Yes, it most definetly is. If you go on BBC website and go on Newsnight they did a programme about ti yesterday. Some goods have risen by 16%.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
all food has gone up due to the increases in fuel prices. this will continue to happen until somebody stops food items being bought into the country and we grow(ha ha) our own.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Basmati rice has doubled in the past year. Wheat up a third.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Basmati rice has doubled in the past year.

I heard something about this the other day. This is apparently due to some kind of quota system being brought in to prevent cheap labour in the rice fields - meaning less Bangladeshi's being employed to pick the rice, meaning less rice.

Or something.

all food has gone up due to the increases in fuel prices. this will continue to happen until somebody stops food items being bought into the country and we grow(ha ha) our own.

Fuel, and also the cost of raw materials ie wheat, rice, corn, pork etc etc. The reason food is imported is because it is cheaper, cut the imports and prices will rise dramatically. In fact we'd probably starve as there simply is not enough room in the UK. What a bizarre view of the world you have. Comes from living in Newhaven I guess.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't forget the growing amount of land that's being used to develop crops for 'biofuel'. That's one of the big factors in the rise in the cost of wheat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here