Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food poisoning

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
If you bought a curry on a Saturday, ate half of it, then left the other half out on the side overnight, then Sunday morning put it in the fridge..... would you then eat it Monday evening?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, yes I would.

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
quite possibly, but I wouldn't attempt to warm it up; that's just asking for a bout of Montezuma's !!

D

Deleted member 2719

Not for me thanks, i thought the rule of thumb was only to be left out for 2 hours by hotels for buffets so i would have thought that would apply.

Any chefs on here?

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 hours is a safe zone really, you could technically leave it longer. I have eaten exactly as you said more than once and not got food poisoning so I imagine you'll be fine as long as your immune system is generally healthy. I would make sure it's hot all the way through though before eating it personally.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

One golden rule, Chuck the rice, the curry should be fine.

There are more cases of food poisoning due to re-heated rice in this country than any other cause.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Certainly don't heat it up. There is a bacteria in rice that you get when it's been cooked and cooled down, if it's not done properly and reheating won't kill it. Rice is the biggest casue of food poisoning in the world - but then it isthe staple for about 70% of the world too.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
2 hours is a safe zone really, you could technically leave it longer. I have eaten exactly as you said more than once and not got food poisoning so I imagine you'll be fine as long as your immune system is generally healthy.

Same here, I've been reheating takeaways that have been left out all night on a regular basis for about 15 years and never once had a problem. I have wondered if my body is conditioned to get rid of any nasties that grow on the food

One golden rule, Chuck the rice, the curry should be fine.

There are more cases of food poisoning due to re-heated rice in this country than any other cause.

I have heard this about rice. Can anyone explain what is meant to happen? Like I said, I do it all the time and never had a problem. I wonder if it's a matter of when, not if I get ill. Can't see it happening myself, rekon I would've had it by now.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have heard this about rice. Can anyone explain what is meant to happen? Like I said, I do it all the time and never had a problem. I wonder if it's a matter of when, not if I get ill. Can't see it happening myself, rekon I would've had it by now.[/QUOTE]

I would have to look it up to get it right, but from memory, when rice is cooked the first time, if it is left to cool down naturally, then refrigerated, then it's would be fine to reheat it, as long as you get it thoroughly hot. Anything else, and this bacteria is there and no amount of reheating will kill it.

I'm sure someone else will have the full lowdown on it.

Same here, I've been reheating takeaways that have been left out all night on a regular basis for about 15 years and never once had a problem. I have wondered if my body is conditioned to get rid of any nasties that grow on the food

I have heard this about rice. Can anyone explain what is meant to happen? Like I said, I do it all the time and never had a problem. I wonder if it's a matter of when, not if I get ill. Can't see it happening myself, rekon I would've had it by now.

No idea why, the wife used to work in the food industry and it was always the "golden rule", never re-heat rice.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I would have to look it up to get it right, but from memory, when rice is cooked the first time, if it is left to cool down naturally, then refrigerated, then it's would be fine to reheat it, as long as you get it thoroughly hot. Anything else, and this bacteria is there and no amount of reheating will kill it.

I'm sure someone else will have the full lowdown on it.

Mabye that's it then. General process is back in the fridge in the morning, then microwave for 5 or 6 minutes when I want to eat it.

*edit* I'd guess that it makes a difference in the amounts as well. If I was serving food to customers on a large scale I wouldn't fancy doing anything like that, hence food industry standards needing to be a bit higher. With a small plate of rice for one person you can probably get away with it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here