Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Following the Albion in the 80's (photos & stories)

IKDRF

May 1, 2009
Great days and amazing haircuts-did anyone beat the 'tinnie in a locker' record of 88 at Port Vale-December 1990?!!

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Thanks for the kind comments. I poured my heart and soul into that. Well I dashed it off in half an hour the other night when the wife was out at a Black Eyed Peas concert meaning I could spend time on the PC without being summoned back to watch American sodding Idol.

Those were great days and Danny (HMHB) deserves a wider audience for his award winning website.

Hello to Granny Weatherax , Wigman and anyone else who I would know behind their username.

All the best,
Billy aka Ian aka Florida BHA

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
There are more on the site: HERE if you didn't see them. We'll try and dig out some more in the coming weeks and add in a few more stories. There are plenty to be told.

Has anyone else got any from that era?

Yep, been having a look this aft', quality stuff.
Wish I'd taken my camera to some games back then, although my days of going to most away games was probably slightly earlier.

One that always brings a smile was Mansfield away in the cup when we were 1st Division, not sure of the year, but I think 81ish.
Got the train up with the Lewes contingent, met up with various other chapters, Eastbourne, Haywards Heath, Seaford, Newhaven & of course Brighton & Hove among others. The station we got off at was in the middle of nowhere, called Alfreton & Mansfield Parkway, so it was a bus into Mansfield. At the top of this hill by the bus stop was a garage with a huge pile of tyres outside; the temptation was too much for a bunch of Sussex herberts who'd been drinking since silly o'clock in the morning & it wasn't long before all these tyres were streaming down the hill causing traffic mayhem.
Into Mansfield, lots of pints later we had it off with a bunch of donkey jacket wearing coal miners, (they were emblazoned with NCB). Someone thought it would be a good idea to get in the Mansfield end but the aforementioned miners had more than a few mates who thought otherwise.
We won the game, I believe Ray Clarke got the winner.
Post game was quite entertaining, I remember a very hard back hander from a local bobby, I was more than likely a bit lippy towards some of the locals who were waiting outside the ground.
Onto the bus, then it all kicked off in a town called Sutton-in-Ashfield. I remember the town as the bus driver drove to the police station & left us brawling on the bus as the boys in blue came piling out of the nick.
The locals legged it & left us to face the wrath of the local inspector who was quite cross with us. He stood on the bus & tried to give us a ticking off; I quote, "You southern c**ts think you're f***ing it. We had Millwall up here last week & they were exactly the same".
I beg to differ, there's no way that Millwall could of drank as much as we did.
Anyway, the OB dished out a few slaps; old school justice, then we were on our way.
There was some trouble at East Croydon as we hopped off for some sport, but then again we did that at EVERY away game.
Just one day out of many, but the tyres going down the hill always makes me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here