Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Folk music

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread... I haven't even heard of most of these people/bands and not one of the 2600 tracks on my iTunes could be considered folk... unless you count Peter, Paul and Mary 'If I had a hammer' ... which I only have on their 'cos some loon chose it for a recent Twenty20 cricket event :nono:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Very knowledgeable and informative post DRF - what capacity of work in music, out of interest?

By the way, the extended Fairports should get Iain Matthews mentioned n'est pas? In the original band, he has put out about 20 albums since. Most include some cover tunes, but he's also adept at writing his own. 'Pure and Crooked' is worthwhile for the uninitiated, and has great examples of his own, and excellent covers ('Mercy Street' is sublime, for example, as with his own 'Bridge of Cherokee')

Ah yes Iain (formerly Ian) Matthews (of Matthews Southern Comfort fame) is indeed good AND he played leagus football for Bradford Park Avenue in the 1960s. I particularly liked his work with American folk/country singer/songwriter Michael Fracasso in a band called Hamilton Pool. And a VERY nice man he is too. In answer to your question I have worked in music publishing for years, and I currently work for a couple of large indies and co-own a small company with the guy who produced much of the Fairport / Drake material.

Shirley and Dolly Collins and the Albion Country Band hail from Hastings:thumbsup: Great grass roots folk
From time to time I bump into Shirley Collins, shopping at Tesco's in Lewes. For a while she managed the Oxfam shop in central Brighton. Sadly, she's given up singing, but she recently did a tour promoting her book about her song-collecting travels with Alan Lomax in the American South in the 1950's.

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
A lot of the bands I like are influenced by folk or may even be considered folk(ish) bands. The Men They Couldnt Hang, The Saw Doctors, The Levellers, Springsteen are all still going.

Saw the Saw Doctors two weeks ago in a small village in New York State. Free gig as well, which is always nice. The evening was promoted as a Celtic Folk festival. The support act was two old boys on acoustic guitars doing real Irish folk songs. Then we had the little girls from the local Irish dance school doing their bit. Ah, so sweet. Much of the audience was sitting about on the lawn chairs they had brought, picnics much in evidence. It was all so very nice but I don't think the locals were really expecting the Saw Doctors to be quite so loud. A few of the grannies got up and left but the lads won the rest over by the end.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From time to time I bump into Shirley Collins, shopping at Tesco's in Lewes. For a while she managed the Oxfam shop in central Brighton. Sadly, she's given up singing, but she recently did a tour promoting her book about her song-collecting travels with Alan Lomax in the American South in the 1950's.

I saw the show in stourbridge and chatted to her and her husband after about old times...it was a great evening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here