Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Folk music

Recently reviving my interest in folk music, I have been enjoying some tracks I hadn't thought to buy until recently - even though loads of the material has been around for ages.
Here are some examples I found rather good;

Lowlands Of Holland - Steeleye Span
Fotheringay - Fairport Convention
I'm On My Way - Strawbs with Sandy Denny
Carrickfergus - Van Morrison & Chieftains
Mummers Dance - Loreena McKinnitt
La Serinissima - Loreena McKinnitt
Catch the Wind - Donovan
How Can I Keep From Singing - Enya
On Your Shore - Enya
Northern Sky - Nick Drake
Who Knows Where the Time Goes? - Sandy Denny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpURBJA4uA)

I encourage the knowing to recommend your favourites

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Folk music is only one step up the evolutionary chain from Country & western music. Fact. Next step after that is a primitive form of tree-frog.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Jethro Tull is the nearest I come to folk music.

Oct 25, 2003
oh, and nick drake is/was the DON

220px-Nick_drake_way_to_blue.jpg

Sandy Denny and the Fairports - now that takes me back to Hove CGS in the sixties.
SD a very sad loss in '78 - an clear example of why, if you're going to get pissed, you should get to the bottom of the stairs first.

You've picked two of my faves already NMH but " Matty Groves", " Meet on the Ledge" or "Si tu dois partir" will all do.

Oct 25, 2003
am i allowed to count tim buckley?

his early stuff was very folk before he discovered the drugs

also, a fair bit of neil youngs stuff is a bit folky......and he's basically the coolest man alive

How about Richard Thompson - saw him solo at the Hawth in Crawley a few years ago and was bowled over.

Digressing slightly - Rottingdeans very own Copper family deserve a mention surely. Recommend reading Bob Coppers's books regarding his families music traditions.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
FOLK music, not country ffs.

Otherwise I would've included Townes Van Zandt

eh? I think you'll find that Bonnie Prince Billie is definitely NOT country music. Have you listened to anything he's ever done?

Country FFS? Doesn't all have to be Arran knitwear and cornish pasties for shoes to be folk y'know.

Doesn't have to be from these isles either.

Country? Tsk!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
am i allowed to count tim buckley?

his early stuff was very folk before he discovered the drugs

also, a fair bit of neil youngs stuff is a bit folky......and he's basically the coolest man alive

nope. NMH will have Neil Young down as country too.

Buckley and Young are very good calls by the way:thumbsup:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Fairports are a good call - seen them quite recently and they're like fine wine as they get better with age. Hoping to see Richard Thompson at the Roundhouse soon - new album is good (except his vocals as always).
One "new-ish" band I like is Show of Hands. Some great lyrics on "Roots" and "Country Life".
The Men They Couldn't Hang too - great folk/punk band
As mentioned above Neil Young is the dogs bollocks too

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
hmmm.....i'd say neil young was both country AND folk

well, not folk, more 'folk rock'

Guess you're right. Trouble is the lines get blurred. Was Johnny Cash rock n roll, country or proto-punk? What genre was Woody Guthrie? What about Americana like the Czars, Jim White etc?

What about Dylan? I guess I was taking umbrage with NMH as I definitely see Bonnie Prince Billie as folk and I think I've always viewed Neil Young as more folk as you say, folk rock.

Not that there's anything wrong with country (despite what THPP says). Only the other day I was listening to Hank Williams, Hank Williams jr and Hank Williams III. All brilliant, brilliant stuff and each completely different.

Mind you - the greatest poet, balladeer for me is Leonard Cohen. Dunno what genre he is but that man is class.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Guess you're right. Trouble is the lines get blurred. Was Johnny Cash rock n roll, country or proto-punk? What genre was Woody Guthrie? What about Americana like the Czars, Jim White etc?

What about Dylan? I guess I was taking umbrage with NMH as I definitely see Bonnie Prince Billie as folk and I think I've always viewed Neil Young as more folk as you say, folk rock.

Not that there's anything wrong with country (despite what THPP says). Only the other day I was listening to Hank Williams, Hank Williams jr and Hank Williams III. All brilliant, brilliant stuff and each completely different.

Mind you - the greatest poet, balladeer for me is Leonard Cohen. Dunno what genre he is but that man is class.

All the labels people put on music stops it getting to new listeners.
Personally I can find something in all forms of music that I enjoy. My least favourites are rap or hip hop and modern jazz but I can find examples in even those genres that I can listen to.
Going back to folk music though - a lot of what Springsteen has done is "folky" even apart from the "Seeger Sessions" stuff, early American blues musicians played American folk music and if you want to listen to their roots you're going back to field hollers on the one hand and bluegrass on the other. I love the blues but I wouldn't class myself as a fan of bluegrass but without one there wouldn't be the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here