Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Focus - let's keep our fingers crossed

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Focus is in serious financial trouble: it's just renegotiated its bank loans - a deal which will cost a certain B Archer lots of extra cash - but even so the vultures are circling. Sales fell by 10% last year: the longer the housing market stays in the doldrums, the more uncertain is the company's future - personally I'd gladly forsake a couple of years of no house price increase if it would bring that git crashing down.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
:clap2: :clap2:

great news

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
countrygull said:
I'd gladly forsake a couple of years of no house price increase if it would bring that git crashing down.

How does that work?

If people aren't moving, they spend their money on their current property, surely. I'd have thought that would increase the turnover of the DIY stores. However, I seem to have that market all wrong!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Why don't we club together, nip in and buy it, then asset-strip and turn all the superstores into football grounds?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I thought Archer had sold his stake in Focus.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Rangdo said:
I thought Archer had sold his stake in Focus.

He has, thats the only reason we accepeted the money from Wickes this season. We refused it last season as he still had a share.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Great Cornholio said:
Think that was Wickes

Same company. They are called Focus Wickes now.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
DAMANCLAY said:
He has, thats the only reason we accepeted the money from Wickes this season. We refused it last season as he still had a share.

I'm pretty sure the sale of his Focus shares had something to do with why he sold his remaining shares in the Albion back at a cut price rate.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
DAMANCLAY said:
Is this really the case? I used to quite like Wickes but stopped going there as soon as Archer bought them. As I refuse point blank to even set foot in there if he has anything to with them I need to know if this has changed. Anyone got any definitive information on the Archer investment portfolio?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Rangdo said:
I'm pretty sure the sale of his Focus shares had something to do with why he sold his remaining shares in the Albion back at a cut price rate.
I though that was because if he still had shares in the Albion the bank running the flotation were worried a load of us would buy shares and then cause trouble at the AGM - as if!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
HampshireSeagulls said:
Why don't we club together, nip in and buy it, then asset-strip and turn all the superstores into football grounds?

:lolol: :lolol: Quality plan

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Focus

Superb Band

Anglo Dutch/British band.

Jan Akkerman one of the best guitarists ever.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
DAMANCLAY said:

Wickes was bought by Travis Perkins in February '05.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Spiros said:
Is this really the case? I used to quite like Wickes but stopped going there as soon as Archer bought them. As I refuse point blank to even set foot in there if he has anything to with them I need to know if this has changed. Anyone got any definitive information on the Archer investment portfolio?

Ditto.

I have a Focus very close to hand but always travel the extra 7 miles to Homebase out of principle.

So is Focus allowed again now?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Willow said:
Ditto.

I have a Focus very close to hand but always travel the extra 7 miles to Homebase out of principle.

So is Focus allowed again now?
I've just checked the Focus and Wickes websites. Wickes are no longer anything to do with Archer and now belong to Travis Perkins. However Archer remains as chairman of Focus and so I will still go nowhere near the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here