Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FOA People who have been states side

Don't know anything about Cruises but tipping is the norm in the US. probably 15% in a restaurant, (unless it's included in the bill and then that would probably be 18%) 10%+ in a bar and a couple of bucks a night for the maid in a hotel.

This is what would be expected for average service (although US average service is better than most other countries)

If you don't, you will severely piss people off. And you run the risk of some unpleasant confrontations.

It's no good saying I don't tip, that may be your choice but if you visit another country you should respect their way of life and traditions. It's like saying I reserve the right to walk down the street drinking alcohol in a Muslim country. Asking for trouble.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not at all I was asking for people's views on tipping.

On no account take all your old crap and leave it by the side of the Freeway...that really gets the cops goat.

Next thing you will be in Guantanamo in your orange PJ's

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't know anything about Cruises but tipping is the norm in the US. probably 15% in a restaurant, (unless it's included in the bill and then that would probably be 18%) 10%+ in a bar and a couple of bucks a night for the maid in a hotel.

This is what would be expected for average service (although US average service is better than most other countries)

If you don't, you will severely piss people off. And you run the risk of some unpleasant confrontations.

It's no good saying I don't tip, that may be your choice but if you visit another country you should respect their way of life and traditions. It's like saying I reserve the right to walk down the street drinking alcohol in a Muslim country. Asking for trouble.

I have no problem with tipping, I just didnt know what the deal was with pre-paid tipping.

If people pay 15% or something like that, then paying £36 odd each for a week seems pretty good!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Generally take it as read that the norm is 15% unless the service you have had is really poor. It's pretty much maditory there (except very fast food like MacDonalds of course). Bell boys and Doormen (if you're staying somewhere decent) it's between $5 and $10 I would suggest.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
15% is the standard tipping rates in the States.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Not QUITE the same tho, eh?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
does that include American ships ?

No you have to tip 50% on American cruise ships because they need the money for the extra fuel it costs to transport Americans and their fat f***ing families across the pond.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
First time I went to Florida, a British guy told us that he was chased out of a restaurant by an American waiter, with a few dollars in his hand shouting "What's this?"
"It's your tip!" the English chap replied, "Isn't it enough?"
"If that's what you think my service is worth. I supposed it will have to do!" was the yank's reply.
At this point an elderly Chicago couple informed us that it was the norm to tip 15% and 20% if you really enjoyed the meal, as many waiters were on tips only! WHAT A SCAM you open a restaurant and get people to work for you for nothing!

Needless to say I always tipped 15% never 20% after that. To the point where I gave a $9 tip, not $10 on a $60 meal.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
does that include American ships ?

That would depend on the nationality of the staff. In the rather doubtful possibility that the staff are American 15% would save you getting food poisoning, especially if you're on a cruise but if they are Filipinos say, then you could get away with less. What is a factor is how much the meal is tostart with. Food in the US is considerably cheaper than here as a rule and thus a 15% gratuity does not over burden the pocket.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That would depend on the nationality of the staff. In the rather doubtful possibility that the staff are American 15% would save you getting food poisoning, especially if you're on a cruise but if they are Filipinos say, then you could get away with less. What is a factor is how much the meal is tostart with. Food in the US is considerably cheaper than here as a rule and thus a 15% gratuity does not over burden the pocket.

When you book one of these things, it tends to be full board anyway, the only thing you pay extra for is booze( or the flash restaurant), the last ship we were on operated a credit card system where you booked your drinks to the card and it was all settled at the end.

this is why I think it is odd that they offer you the option of paying tips "up front" as it where.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
Right, as for tipping;

Employees in the States are taxed on what their potential earnings are as a base minimum. So they are taxed on the basis that they receive 10% of the bill. When their pay comes they add a percentage based on the restaurants business, so it means bad waiters are essentially overtaxed.

In America, certain types of people can be considered BAD tippers. These include what certain groups of people call 'Canadians' which is actually slang for black families. It comes from the traditional notion than Canadians are bad tippers.
The Brits for the most part are considered good tippers, because we tip in Britain regardless. You'll find that the lower and lower-middle classes don't tip, maybe this is because they don't want to GIVE money away for 'nothing', or maybe it's because they simply don't understand the ettiquette of it..

It's worth remembering that every service in the States comes for a price, and should be tipped accordingly, not just waiters in restaurants. Bellboys, car-hire firms, taxi drivers.. anybody who does you a 'turn' you're supposed to do one back to them - it's the American way :)

For example, we were recently in the States and paid for the cheapest possible car rental, because we knew they ALWAYS upgrade you to the next one up, in this case a seabring convertible. We thanked the assistant, and tipped them $5 for taking our bags to the vehicle. However, the seabring was too small to fit all our luggage so the assistant offered to upgrade us to an even bigger vehicle for free. Except none were available apart from one, so the assistant very apologetically offered us the $1600-a-week Hummer as compensation - with a free tank of fuel, which lasted the entire 2 week vacation.

My advice; tip everyone, just budget it into basic expenses. And always give slightly more than you think you should - we always give the least possible as nature, and remember, they are taxed 10% or so, so if you give them 12%, they'll make the 2% as a bonus.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
It's also worth remembering, if you get bad service - you're quite within your rights to say in the States if you're not happy with something. This way the staff earn their tips.. unlike here, where we feel obliged to tip even for the worst service in the world.

When you book one of these things, it tends to be full board anyway, the only thing you pay extra for is booze( or the flash restaurant), the last ship we were on operated a credit card system where you booked your drinks to the card and it was all settled at the end.

this is why I think it is odd that they offer you the option of paying tips "up front" as it where.

Dave,
Our pre-tipping covered the cabin assistant, butler, concierge, restaurant table waiter, wine waiter etc. All food was included in the cruise price, regardless of the restaurant used.
Anything bought on the ship, including the booze, was on a card system as you describe - all bar bills had a 15% non discretionary service charge/tip added.
N.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Well David, obviously I am not as well heeled as you as I don't remember giving ANY tips on the Cross Channel Ferry or the trip from Greenwich to Westminster Pier ! I guess it's at your discretion though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dave,
Anything bought on the ship, including the booze, was on a card system as you describe - all bar bills had a 15% non discretionary service charge/tip added.
N.

You see that is what gets me....so you pay a tip up front and then get clobbered with 15% on top! Last year, Ocean Village did not operate this and tipping was not expected...in fact you only used cash off the boat!

We left a decent tip to the lady who cleaned our cabin as she was great!!!

I suppose that is the difference with a UK boat

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
Well David, obviously I am not as well heeled as you as I don't remember giving ANY tips on the Cross Channel Ferry or the trip from Greenwich to Westminster Pier ! I guess it's at your discretion though.

But those BRITISH employees weren't taxed on the basis that they would be earning that 10% tip you didn't give them.. in the States employees are TAXED on the BASIS they EARN the TIP, regardless of whether they are GIVEN it. Unlike in BRITAIN. :clap:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
But those BRITISH employees weren't taxed on the basis that they would be earning that 10% tip you didn't give them.. in the States employees are TAXED on the BASIS they EARN the TIP, regardless of whether they are GIVEN it. Unlike in BRITAIN. :clap:

I used to be a Hairdresser (many moons ago) and we were taxed on estimated gratuities earned.

:(

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I always factor the tip into the cost of a night in a restaurant and the only reason I wouldn't pay is if I had exceptionally bad service. As someone mentioned, in the States food is cheap and the portions large so leaving a tip is no hardship really.

I see the arguments against it but if you think of it as just a part of the cost of the meal it is no biggie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here