Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Florida 14 day holiday questions

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
1/ can you use Visa Debit cards?
2/Anyone hire a 12 seater in Florida how much?
3/ Theme park tickets, best place to buy them
4/ things to watch out for regarding being ripped off over there

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
1. Yes but with all cards you may be asked for ID - bit hit and miss
2. No idea
3. Purchased in advanced on the web
4. Worst is picking up hire car and the inability to understand you do not want a f***ing upgrade, he got the message after 20 minutes !

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
1) yes, used mine a few times but you get hammered on the exchange rate
2) can't help there mate
3) always bought ours in the uk, tends to be cheaper, theme park tickets on google
4)been 4 times and never really got ripped off anywhere

Have a great time and don't try to do it all in 2 weeks, impossible!
Have the odd day by the pool or you will come home knackered :)

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Google car hire at the Airport you are flying into, there will be Avis, Alamo, Hertz, etc. Alamo at Orlando currently have a 15 seater passenger van available for hire

T_FVAR_US.jpg

You can use all cards as normal but always carry your passport as ID, some will ask.
The difference in price for tickets bought in advance or at the gate can be pretty close these days for the parks. Best to use google again and compare.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I'm going over in January...Will be by 6th time...

1/ Yes, pretty much everywhere...Make sure you carry your passport with you at ALL times though.
2/ Yes - Budget, Alamo, etc all off various rates.
3/ Hit and miss...sometimes you can get good deals online. You can often get a buy 2 days get the third free with Universal, which I'd recommend and it's the same for Busch Gardens. The most expensive tickets are Disney tickets. As we're going for 18 days this time, we are getting a 14 day unlimited Disney Pass so that we can use Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Quest at Downtown Disney. However, this is the biggest risk as the prices can jump around
4/ Taxi's (get a price before you get in one). Restaurants and more importantly, breakfasts...Hotel breakfasts are always more expensive. Depending on where you are, get up an hour earlier at get to a Sizzler for $3.99 all you can eat breakfast buffet's.

Finally, if you want food, expect mass produced fodder. If you want a GOOD quality meal, then be prepared to pay for it. However, if you're going for the American experience, then go for any of the following :

- Golden Corrall (all you can eat buffet - usually $9.99 for all you can eat rib, steaks, etc.
- Shoneys - Good all you can eat breakfasts
- Denny's - they sell T-Bone steaks
- Sizzlers
- Ponderosa

All of these offer good meals to fill you up on the carbs you've lost from the walking in theme parks and are all cheaper than theme park food.

One big hint about the Magic Kingdom...get there as early as you can (8am) and head round the park in an ANTI-CLOCKWISE order...You will save yourself ALOT of queing for rides.

If you like rollercoasters - then head to Busch Gardens...People always miss this and it's my favourite theme park...It's got something for all ages and also is better than Animal Kingdom.

The worst part about the whole holiday will be going through US Homeland Security. Be prepared for a 2hour plus wait from when you disembark the plane to when you are able to travel to your hotel/villa.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Busch Gardens is a must, we did not go on Cheetah Run a couple of days ago but will head their first next week. Sheikra is a monster of a roller coaster, massive - think of a double Oblivion.

The Harry Potter ride is amazing at Universal as is Spiderman, Simpsons, Men in Black etc.

Sea World is great as well - Manta and Kracken are monster coasters as well. Manta actually makes you feel weird at one point.

Last edited:

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I'm going over in January...Will be by 6th time...

1/ Yes, pretty much everywhere...Make sure you carry your passport with you at ALL times though.
2/ Yes - Budget, Alamo, etc all off various rates.
3/ Hit and miss...sometimes you can get good deals online. You can often get a buy 2 days get the third free with Universal, which I'd recommend and it's the same for Busch Gardens. The most expensive tickets are Disney tickets. As we're going for 18 days this time, we are getting a 14 day unlimited Disney Pass so that we can use Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Quest at Downtown Disney. However, this is the biggest risk as the prices can jump around
4/ Taxi's (get a price before you get in one). Restaurants and more importantly, breakfasts...Hotel breakfasts are always more expensive. Depending on where you are, get up an hour earlier at get to a Sizzler for $3.99 all you can eat breakfast buffet's.

Finally, if you want food, expect mass produced fodder. If you want a GOOD quality meal, then be prepared to pay for it. However, if you're going for the American experience, then go for any of the following :

- Golden Corrall (all you can eat buffet - usually $9.99 for all you can eat rib, steaks, etc.
- Shoneys - Good all you can eat breakfasts
- Denny's - they sell T-Bone steaks
- Sizzlers
- Ponderosa

All of these offer good meals to fill you up on the carbs you've lost from the walking in theme parks and are all cheaper than theme park food.

One big hint about the Magic Kingdom...get there as early as you can (8am) and head round the park in an ANTI-CLOCKWISE order...You will save yourself ALOT of queing for rides.

If you like rollercoasters - then head to Busch Gardens...People always miss this and it's my favourite theme park...It's got something for all ages and also is better than Animal Kingdom.

The worst part about the whole holiday will be going through US Homeland Security. Be prepared for a 2hour plus wait from when you disembark the plane to when you are able to travel to your hotel/villa.

I totally agree with every thing said here, especially the Sizzler recommendation, no better way to start the day.
We are going next Easter and are flying into Tampa this time, Orlando Int is a bit of a nightmare. Immigration is a nightmare even if you have a visa like I do it's a massive queue, especially when the BA and Virgin flights from Gatwick land within minutes of each other and you all pile into the room at the same time.
One trick at Orlando Int, after Immigration and customs you have to get on the monorail, you can't take trolleys on so if your case does not have wheels or you cannot carry it you have to hand it in again and wait at the car hire to get it back, the wait at the second belt can be a lot longer than the first when the cases come of the plane, avoid and carry if you can.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Busch Gardens is a must, we did not go on Cheetah Run a couple of days ago but will head their first next week. Sheikra is a monster of a roller coaster, massive - think of a double Oblivion.

The Harry Potter ride is amazing at Universal as is Spiderman, Simpsons, Men in Black etc.

Sea World is great as well - Manta and Kracken are moster coasters as well. Manta actually makes you feel weird at one point.

How was your meal at the Nascar cafe the other night?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Sea World is great as well - Manta and Kracken are moster coasters as well. Manta actually makes you feel weird at one point.

How many times have you done Gwazi? That's one of my favourite coasters especially as when you get off you feel as though all your bones have been shaken up and put back together again!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How was your meal at the Nascar cafe the other night?

We never went in the end but will go next week, Applebees gets the vote for tonight as off to Daytona Beach shortly for two to three hours of body surfing. The heavens dumped a huge storm on Orlando around 18:00 hrs last night right in the middle of Seamore and Clyde at Sea World which stopped the show.

Big tip for Theme parks for OP is to go later in the day as the they are open till 21:00 hrs and queues disappear towards the end of the evening.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only 3 times and got a massive bollocking 4 years ago as we tricked Mrs Hut to go on it. Gwazi is similar to one at Parc Asterix

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
We never went in the end but will go next week, Applebees gets the vote for tonight as off to Daytona Beach shortly for two to three hours of body surfing. The heavens dumped a huge storm on Orlando around 18:00 hrs last night right in the middle of Seamore and Clyde at Sea World which stopped the show.

Big tip for Theme parks for OP is to go later in the day as the they are open till 21:00 hrs and queues disappear towards the end of the evening.

When we went in 2011 we landed in the middle of big storm which two days later turned into several tornado's, just missed one on the way back from KSC, had to park under a bridge for a while, amazing weather.
My favourite coaster is Montu at Busch gardens although the new one at Universal Studios is very close now, I just have to remember not to discuss my serious heart condition while in the queue, they may not let me on, lol.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When we went in 2011 we landed in the middle of big storm which two days later turned into several tornado's, just missed one on the way back from KSC, had to park under a bridge for a while, amazing weather.
My favourite coaster is Montu at Busch gardens although the new one at Universal Studios is very close now, I just have to remember not to discuss my serious heart condition while in the queue, they may not let me on, lol.

Four years ago me and the two kids were queueing for Montu when my wife texted and said who is Shaka O'Neill to which I said a very famous basketball player, she texted back saying he was standing next to me !

That guy is a roller coaster in himself, massively tall.

We went on the first ride of the day on Montu last week, great coaster as are the three water rides at Busch Gardens

1) Yes
2) Yes, but it is cheaper to hire 3 cars
3) On the net - there are often better deals for UK peeps than the yanks
4) Never got ripped off. Just remember that prices your see exclude sales tax and when you think to yourself how cheap the restaurant food is, remember to allow for the tip. 20% is not unusual if it's good.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
if you're going anywhere near i-drive for ponderosa/sizzlers etc, there are vouchers everywhere. especially 3.99 all you can eat breakfast buffet at sizzlers! i ate pancakes jelly and maple syrup followed by a ull on fry up for 2 weeks straight.

tax is added after you go to the till, so ticket price will not be what you actually pay.

food in parks can be quite expensive, consider disney dining if you plan on spending any length of time in disneyworld parks

get to the toy story ride in hollywood studios as early as you can for fast pass ticket, usually all gone by 11am and then its a 4+ hour queue without one. On that note, get fastpass where available :)

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Best place in the world to holiday. You won't get ripped off anywhere.

Try the Diss and the Dibb forums for any questions.

TB

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Heading out there for the 4th time, but haven't been since 2001. Can't bloody wait!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If I was going to Florida for 14 days I would start by hiring a car and driving north or north west (or even west at a push) and keep going for seven days stopping anywhere I found interesting. Then I would turn round and work my way back. I hate amusement parks (they are ALL rip-offs!) :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here