Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FLORENCE Next Week

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Going to Florence next Tuesday for 3 nights...any recommendations?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I went last week. Bloody excellent it is. Buy your tickets for the museums online first (especially the Academia and the Uffizi, if you're going). That was you won't have to queue for hours with every schoolchild in Barcelona.

Baldovino is excellent for food, and absurdly good value. Via San Giuseppe 18/r, near Santa Croce.

Homing Seagull

Jul 26, 2004
Don't go for the tripe sandwiches in the market, bleargh. Although the sauce was yum, bread too actually!

Try and get time to go to the Boboli gardens for great views of the city

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
cheers guys

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Myself and the missus went there last October. Very nice place, once you can ignore the American and Japanese tourists. Hotel Adam in the city centre was basic but very well priced. www.venere.com Best places to eat are on the south side of the river, slightly away from the tourist gallery and cathderal areas. Ice cream parlours on every street corner...

Peasy getting to Fiorentina's ground as well.

One of the days we went to Siena. Lovely town. Although they are in Serie A, their ground is very similar to... Withdean. No, really. Athletics track, temporary stands, exposed seats etc.

But for a real travelogue, cue Lord Bracknell...

Last edited:

Albion Rob

I'm off there on Friday for the Viola v Roma game. Have managed to get tickets in one of the Curvas and looking forward to it immensely.

Apparantly they're good friends with Verona so going to wear my Hellas shirt.

Any advice on places to go/eat/drink would be greatly appreciated.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Buy your tickets for the museums online first (especially the Academia and the Uffizi, if you're going). That was you won't have to queue for hours with every schoolchild in Barcelona.

I was there three weeks, ago and even though it was half term week and most of Spain was there, we never had a problem getting in to the Uffizi or the Academia (worth going in to see David, even if everything else in there is a bit dull) without booking. If you want to climb the Duomo without queueing however, go early in the day.

Found some very nice little wine bars. Le Volpi e l'uva on a litte square on the left, just south of Ponte Vecchio had some bloody good stuff at reasonable prices. Frescobaldi, right in the centre, is run by a Californian woman and is a bit Americanised and overpriced, but they also have some bloody lovely brews and good tapas.

In general I'd say the food south of the river is better, and better value, than the stuff on the north side. Was particulalry impressed with Il Cinghiale Bianco (the white boar).

I know a f**king amazing restaurant in Fiesole (La Reggia degli Etruschi), but that's about 8 km out of the centre. Brilliant food and fantastic views over Florence though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here