Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flights to Oz

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I flew economy BA to Singapore, then Qantas to Perth.

BA was utter misery, hated it. Qantas was fantastic though, really nice wine on the flight and great food.

If you stop in Singapore and have got a few hours make sure you use the pool, great for stretching out your legs and just relaxing.

By way of a price guide we flew Heathrow to Perth via Singapore, and then returned from Darwin again via Singapore, and the price was £649 per person. Booked through flightcentre

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Etihad are very good but you stop over in Abu Dhabi.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Been there twice with Qantas, they were excellent, much better than BA. Qantas and BA do sometimes code share so watch out for that.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I've done BA once and Emirates twice, economy, business and first!

I will only ever look at Emirates now, cheap, fantastic service, good timetable (to Perth anyway) and you fly from LGW!

I agree with everything Alex Dawson said about them.

Superphil - I've been to Perth 3 times (Mount Pleasant) and LOVE it! don't agree with any of what you said!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
:thumbsup:, were abouts did you stay in Perth?

Tapping, off the Waneroo Road, in the Jundalup area, nice place, comuter belt, all the houses the same, no pubs, plenty of McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc, but superb golf courses and great publice transport to get out to Perth, Freo, and beyond.

you should pop across to Victoria - where there is civilisation....

I would love to beleive there is civilisation in Australia, and will look for it if I ever come back. Don't get me wron, people here are fantastic, but there is nothing here I can't get in Sussex, apart from the weather.

Superphil - I've been to Perth 3 times (Mount Pleasant) and LOVE it! don't agree with any of what you said!

Each to their own.

I came here to please the wife and to see very good friends who moved here, and with every intention of finding somewhere fabulous. Sadly I did not. The things people wax lyrical about just don't do it for me, there is no culture, they eat shit food, and are rude to women and Aboriginals all the time. The beer is great, as is the wine, the climate is the best I have ever experienced, but I won't come back here just for that.

I am on may way home in the morning, and I look foreward to getting away from here, like I said, each to their own, but it won't be great for everyone. I understand that over 75% of Brits who move here return within 2 years, mate, I would be long gone after 4 weeks.

Have the best time you can when you get here, I can't wait to be anywhere else but here, tomorrow I will realise that, homeward bound.

G'day to all of you! And G'night.

Dizzle.

Aug 9, 2008
Perth, Australia
Tapping, off the Waneroo Road, in the Jundalup area, nice place, comuter belt, all the houses the same, no pubs, plenty of McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc, but superb golf courses and great publice transport to get out to Perth, Freo, and beyond.

I used to live in the suberb next to that, its a nice little area around there. The nearest pub would have been the Moon and Sixpence, which is a nice british themed pub. You are right though, Perth is filled with fast food outlets!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I forgot this but if you fly Business or First Class with Emirates you get a free pick-up and drop-off from/to your home/hotel etc. They are excellent.

and they sit you next to David Bellamy if you are lucky I discovered one trip. He can kick the arse out of the drink too.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
and they sit you next to David Bellamy if you are lucky I discovered one trip. He can kick the arse out of the drink too.

Indeed he can by all acounts.

Back in the day when he was a lecturer at Durham University, he allegedly appeared in a local 'moderate drinking' campaign advert, in which his catchphrase was:

"Two or fwee pints of beer. Two or fwee times a week. Why spoil a good thing?"

However, according to some mates of mine who were on his course, he used to throw drinks parties most weeks for his students, where the spirits flowed freely. Thus his earlier catchphrase soon got revised to:

"Two or fwee bottles of gin. Two or fwee times a day. Why spoil a good thing?"

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Indeed he can by all acounts.

Back in the day when he was a lecturer at Durham University, he allegedly appeared in a local 'moderate drinking' campaign advert, in which his catchphrase was:

"Two or fwee pints of beer. Two or fwee times a week. Why spoil a good thing?"

However, according to some mates of mine who were on his course, he used to throw drinks parties most weeks for his students, where the spirits flowed freely. Thus his earlier catchphrase soon got revised to:

"Two or fwee bottles of gin. Two or fwee times a day. Why spoil a good thing?"

he was quality. i was going on to manila via dubai and asked him if he was going to dubai for work. his reply was 'there arent any f***ing plants in dubai'.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i go qantas to hong kong and singapore regularly for work and they must have the highest ratio of bender to sort stewards of any long haul carrier. checking in at SIN though business class on qantas is a breeze, only beaten by SQ themselves. i enjoy getting off in honkers and the poor aussies still having on the mammouth schlep in front of them. much prefer singapore or cathay for stewardesses.

emirates fans are right though is the best in flight entertainment. just got to wait now for an a380 flight though the gatwick flights are fantastic but the airbuses take the shine off it. they put the shittiest aircraft on the fleet onto bombay or manila from dubai my regular haunts with them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dammit! All this talk of Oz makes me want to be HERE

Or HERE

Doing THIS

:down:

Honestly Phil, and anybody else thinking of making the trip, get the Emirates LGW to Brisbane and head STRAIGHT for Byron Bay :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
generally you can't go wrong with any of the far eastern airlines

I would suggest you try China Airlines before you make such statements :D

When I used to work in the trade, Korean Airlines also had a shocking reputation. The ones with the best reputations on the red-eye route (and I say this having worked for both BA and Virgin) were Singapore, Malaysian and Eva Air.

Many people haven't heard of Eva Air but I've never heard anything but good reports about them.

Emirates are also supposed to be pretty tidy these days, if you don't mind going via Dubai rather than the Far East.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here