Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flights to Oz

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Hi all,

Off topic so sorry - but I fly to Oz in a month or so.

Anyone chip in with what they think is the best airline to do this
please?

No jokes please......well ok then - but only if they'e good'uns'!

:glare:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have only flown there once and it was with Qantas. One of the stewardesses left a tap on above my seat and I had a drip splashing down on my right shoulder for 18 hours to Singapore and then on my left shoulder for the remaining leg (I lost my boarding pass and got moved to the seat next door).

Apart from that, I couldn't fault their service, they had a good array of channels on the personal TV and the food was delightful. They also gave me $200 and a free meal for two at Planet Hollywood for the water torture incident.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Emirates, Thai, Evergreen I think go there.

If you PM me I got some mates in teavel as worked as a flightbroker for 5 years. You left it a bit late to get cheapest deals.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I have only flown there once and it was with Qantas. One of the stewardesses left a tap on above my seat and I had a drip splashing down on my right shoulder for 18 hours to Singapore and then on my left shoulder for the remaining leg (I lost my boarding pass and got moved to the seat next door).

Apart from that, I couldn't fault their service, they had a good array of channels on the personal TV and the food was delightful. They also gave me $200 and a free meal for two at Planet Hollywood for the water torture incident.

In 18 hours could you not say..............'please can you turn the tap off ass its dripping over me, thanks':down:

I flew there with BA, Qantas and Cathay when I was at GSK and all three were fine although I was in business class. The best imo was Cathay although there's no direct flight from UK although you have to change at Hong Kong so they're generally more expensive. BA Economy looked very cramped.

Wife and I flew to Sydney with Emirates at this time last year and I thought they were really good (business class again though); there was a 3 hour(ish) stop in Dubai which allowed time for a shower etc if you want. The only downside (for my wife anyway) was that Emirates use Airbuses on the Dubai-Aus/NZ routes so the seats don't fold down flat. Big upsides were the service (Emirates are good) and flying from Gatwick - you can fly to Dubai from Gatwick, Heathrow or Birmingham with Emirates.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Not sure if they fly direct, but could not fault Air New Zealand, and would recommend them for long-haul and domestic flights.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Malaysian. One of the very few 5 star airlines in the world. Which means, if you are flying economy, you will be treated with respect and have decent legroom.

And, for your change in KL, a great lounge for a couple of quid. It has a putting green and, best of all, a big beer pump where you get to pour your own pint :never been a barman:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Did Quantas 3 weeks ago, via Singapore, very hospitable, faultless in flight entertainment, nothing to complain about. Flying back Quantas/BA tomorrow.

As for direct flights, none as yet, it has been tried, but not decided upon yet.

Enjoy your trip, but don't get your hopes up about Aus, a nation desparate to be the USA, with more fast food outlets than you can shake a fatty stick at. And if you think the Jocks are bad for frying their food, let me assure you, the Aussies will, and do, fry absolutly everything, Deep fried battered cheese infused sausage anyone? :sick:.

Also, not cheap here, if you drink in a bar, expect to pay £4 minimum for a bottle of beer, and that is in the cheapo travellers bars. Petrol is cheap, this allows the Aussies to fuel their other passion, driving cars with enormous engines (really slowly due to punitive speed limits) and f***ing the climate. They are generally the rudest nation I have ever come across, they have no taste, graffiti is rife, their version of English makes Americans look like the Poet Laureat.

Apart from that I loved it.

Oh, there is a good thing, the public transport is amazing, city centre buses are free, trains, well, an all day rover ticket for a family of 5 is £4, lets you use all the trains, and pay buses, all day. Makes our system seem even more shite back home. For example, a comuter making a 45 minute trip to the city pays about £4 a day! And there is a fully airconned train every 10 minutes, all day, every day, on all lines. How much is it from Horsham to Victoria in the morning?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Perhaps that is just WA and Perth, to be fair, that is where I have been.

Climate is spectacular BTW (for now)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
^^^^^^ contrasts wildly with my time in Oz on most counts.

Same. Absolutely love the place and have been three times in five years (Sydney/Byron Bay/Brisbane). No whingeing from this pom.

As to flights, went BA first time, then Emirates twice. Economy each time.

Would recommend Emirates. Can't fault the food or their in-flight entertainment service. There is plenty of leg-room (tho the seats could do with being a bit wider) and if you are worried about long flight times, you can do, say, Gatwick to Brisbane in three easily do-able 7 hour hops with a couple of hours off the plane to stretch your legs in Dubai and Singapore. There's even an Irish bar at Dubai airport bejeesus! :drink:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Emirates and Malaysian are both very good.

But then, if you've read the rest of the thread you will already have gathered that.

Emirates edges it on the grounds that their in-flight magazine 'Open Skies' prints my work now and again... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Cathay Pacific were pretty good when I got here about 2 weeks ago - they have an entire tv channel devoted to Hong Kong cinema - if you like that sort of thing! Korean air seemed like one of the cheapest, but I decided to go with CP...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here