Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fletcher defends Giles selection

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Moshe Gariani said:

clearly it is possible to take a different view but talk of cliques and accusations of incompetence are both wrong...

Well I don't know. I do not know where these revelations are coming from - but they were reporting this morning that team selection was by Fletcher, in consultation with Flintoff, who was in consultation with three senior players. One of whom was Jones.

We are in danger of the lunatics taking over the asylum. The captain is one thing - but include other players ? Madness.

If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and barks - then it probably is a dog. And the England team looks like like a clique.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Gritt23 said:
I would also disagree with your view that he's "uniquely qualified to decide". He's in the position to make the decision, but "uniquely qualified" to make the decision, no! He (along with Flintoff) does actually make the decision, but plenty are sufficiently qualified to have a right to seriously question his judgement.
you may have misunderstood my use of the word qualified... I'm not talking about coaching badges or playing/spectating experience...

Fletcher knows his players and how they blend as a team in a way that no-one else (bar a very few other "Team England" insiders) gets close to... the certainty with which armchair (and media) critics put forward their own opinion, and give so little respect to the expertise of those actually making the hard choices, always surprises me...

I think the 'blend' of the team, and how they interact together, is very important. This is the only justification I can see for Jones' selection, in that he is clearly popular within the team, and he and Trescothick had a good clear understanding at keeper and first slip (even if it was the keeper going for everything and Tresco trying to reach anything he missed). However, I can't see this being the case with Monty - he seems to be popular within the team, and works well within the unit (from what I've seen).

Besides which, there is a very fine line between have a 'blended' team, and having a cliche. At what point do you say 'as well as these guys work as a unit, there are better options available'. I personally think that they have got this decision wrong on this tour.

Of course the coach is best situated to make these decisions, but I don't agree that no-one should be able to question them, just because we are not privvy to the same information as the coach.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
A possible transcripts following the last warm-up game.

Flintoff: Well that was a toughie..who is up for a cool one or two?

Monty: No thank you, I do not drink.

Read: I am staying back to do some more WK practice.

Gilo and Jones: A pint for me Fred.

:(

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
CMW Read c Ervine b Worthington 0

Mahmood 10 0 49 0 4.90 (1nb, 1w)
Panesar 10 0 63 2 6.30

mmm.... useful stuff

Stumpy Tim

Call me a tradionalist, but I say bowlers should be picked for taking wickets. Hoggy, & Flintoff are the only ones who have looked like taking wickets, Harmison has the potential, & Monty has done for the past 12 months. Forget Anderson, Giles & Mahmood.

I say drop Giles for a batsman (Joyce), put Freddie at 7 & swap Anderson for Monty. Then you've got Freddie, Hoggy & Harmison bowling fast & Monty spinning. Bell, Collingwood & KP can provide backup

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Moshe Gariani said:
CMW Read c Ervine b Worthington 0

Mahmood 10 0 49 0 4.90 (1nb, 1w)
Panesar 10 0 63 2 6.30

mmm.... useful stuff

I think the 2 wickets in just 10 overs from Panesar is the key bit here. In the Ashes series Giles managed 2 in his first 67 overs!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I dont think you can read too much into the game today...Alex Stewart was playing for England!!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Gritt23 said:
I think the 2 wickets in just 10 overs from Panesar is the key bit here. In the Ashes series Giles managed 2 in his first 67 overs!
In one-day cricket the balance between runs and wickets is very different... 2-63, including 18 off one over, are not good figures...

Moshe Gariani said:
In one-day cricket the balance between runs and wickets is very different... 2-63, including 18 off one over, are not good figures...

so is showing he can take wickets as the others again failed?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Moshe Gariani said:

Then why did YOU raise these figures as a reason not to bring Panesar into the Test side?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Self Harmison at it again last night...

The bowling coach and psychologist don't seem to have made much difference

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here