Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flags at England matches

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
my point's being missed here.

example: England v San Marino KO3pm Saturday
Blackpool v Swindon KO3pm Saturday

you'll still see hoards of Swindon/Blackpool etc flags at Wembley, so if they support Swindon/Blackpool whoever so much why not go and watch them instead. Patriotism yes, i've heard of that. What about loyalty? i've been to several England matches but i've never missed an Albion match because of it.

You had a point to start with ? I would get a dictionary and look up the word 'Patriotism'. If it's loyalty that concerns you then what's wrong with being loyal to your country ?

Granted I'd rather watch Albion because I prefer them to a bunch of overpaid prima donnas.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I can see the point that your trying to make, why bother going all the way to London when your team is playing just around the cornor.

Well i opted for the England game yesterday, for varied reasons which were at the end of the day my choice. I'm a STH and the ticket got used yesterday.

I didn't take a flag as i havn't got one nor did i wear an Albion shirt.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My own pet hate is people who take BRITISH flags to ENGLAND games - you might as well take an E.U. flag. Mind you it is a useful test; if you think a union flag and a cross of St George are interchangeable then you can consider yourself a pig-ignorant cretin.

Come off it, you must be old enough to remember when everyone had the Union Flag at england games. The St Georges cross only really became the norm from euro '96 onwards. It doesn't matter that much, as part of it is still representing England.

As for the thread starter.......:wozza:

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
My own pet hate is people who take BRITISH flags to ENGLAND games - you might as well take an E.U. flag. Mind you it is a useful test; if you think a union flag and a cross of St George are interchangeable then you can consider yourself a pig-ignorant cretin.

You must have hated the scene at England games prior to 1996 then, as it was all Union flags. I have always taken either a Union flag or White Ensign to games, and I have always known the difference. (Had a St George Cross tattoo before most people even knew what it was)

However I am British first then English so happy to show both my colours at England games, do I pass the pig ignorant cretin test?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You must have hated the scene at England games prior to 1996 then, as it was all Union flags. I have always taken either a Union flag or White Ensign to games, and I have always known the difference. (Had a St George Cross tattoo before most people even knew what it was)

However I am British first then English so happy to show both my colours at England games, do I pass the pig ignorant cretin test?
I know it was all union flags prior to 1996 until it was finally drummed into (most) people that we played football as England, NOT Britain. And yes I did hate it! Whether you consider yourself English or British first is irrelevant: as a football team we are ENGLAND and the Scots, Welsh and Irish can go f*** themselves. Unlike you I see myself as English first and British second; I want England to have it's own identity and not be interchangeable with 'Britain'.

But no, if you know the difference between England and Britain wouldn't class you as a pig-ignorant cretin SM!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
its people who put their postcodes on who crack me up. How much nerdier can you get. They are always something mental like 'TS17' or something obscure.

Next step will be people putting their IP addresses on them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
so they choose an England match at Wembley?

I think If I had a ticket for yesterday, I would have quite happily have gone to Wembley to see England than the Brighton game.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
my point's being missed here.

example: England v San Marino KO3pm Saturday
Blackpool v Swindon KO3pm Saturday

you'll still see hoards of Swindon/Blackpool etc flags at Wembley, so if they support Swindon/Blackpool whoever so much why not go and watch them instead. Patriotism yes, i've heard of that. What about loyalty? i've been to several England matches but i've never missed an Albion match because of it.

Each to their own.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
i'm constantly puzzled as to why fans have to advertise the fact that they are missing their own club side's matches in order to watch England.

At least they are still watching football though. Can you believe that some people on here decided not to go to Brentford, but to go to a game of cricket instead.

Now THAT I will never understand. :albion2:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Agreed, but in 66 Wembley was FULL of Union Flags - no St. George Cross' in those day.

I remember being at the Euros in Italy (1980?) and Spain in 82 - again hardly any St Georges Crosses - I think it was Italia 90 that there started to be a change

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here