Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FL statement on Portsmouth

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
League Board considers PST proposal

The Football League Board has received details of a proposal by Pompey Supporters' Trust (PST) and its partner investors, to acquire the assets and certain liabilities of Portsmouth Football Club.

Having considered the proposal in detail, the Board concluded that it had significant merit. However, two outstanding points will have to be resolved before the Board can fully consider PST's application to become the new owners of Portsmouth Football Club.

They are the outcome of the current High Court proceedings relating to the ownership of Fratton Park and PST raising the remaining funding from supporters that is anticipated in its business plan.

The Board also confirmed that on-going membership of The League would be subject to a number of conditions that seek to ensure the sporting integrity of league football and the financial viability of the Club going forward.

It therefore re-affirmed its earlier decision that these conditions would include a deduction of 10 points (applicable at the point of transfer of share) and a range of other restrictions on playing budgets and future borrowing for the next four seasons.

To me, that's the long of saying... 'they're f***ed.'

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Considering Bury have just had a transfer embargo slapped on them due to having to get a loan from the PFA, this just shows how much Pompey have been allowed to get away with.

The FA and the Football League need to kick Pompey out of the league,

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If the FL do kick them out, how do they rebalance next year?
Do they promote extra teams from lower leagues?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having considered the proposal in detail, the Board concluded that it had significant merit. However, two outstanding points will have to be resolved before the Board can fully consider PST's application to become the new owners of Portsmouth Football Club.

They are the outcome of the current High Court proceedings relating to the ownership of Fratton Park and PST raising the remaining funding from supporters that is anticipated in its business plan.

Point 1 involves Balram Chanrai doing them a favour, which is certainly no foregone conclusion.

Point 2 involves the thousands of Pompey fans, who PLEDGED £1000 (or more), to actually physically deliver on their promises. I reckon about HALF will actually come up with the money.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Point 1 involves Balram Chanrai doing them a favour, which is certainly no foregone conclusion.

Not very likely. The only chance, if he's sick to the back teeth of PFC (who could blame him?) & decides to cut his ties by having a fire sale of Fratton Park. Given all the noises from Portpin in recent times, unless its all bluster & bullshit, I think Chanrai will dig his heels in.

Point 2 involves the thousands of Pompey fans, who PLEDGED £1000 (or more), to actually physically deliver on their promises. I reckon about HALF will actually come up with the money.

As with most pledges, many will Welch on them. How many will potentially stump up? Anyone's guess?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope the "greatest supporters in the land" realise this is just the start of a long period in the doldrums. Let's see how they react to spending a decade bumbling along in the bottom two divisions in their derelict ramshackle home. Nobs.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The true football fan lurking within my soul wants to ensure Portsmouth FC survives an entity in some form or other, either as a result of a genuine fan rich enough and/or able enough to take them forward, or as an 'AFC Portsmouth', with something for the local community to stick by.

However, the fact is, I am sick and tired of this seemingly endless, tedious, shit-laden carcass of a story being regurgitated over and over again, claim and counterclaim going in, people wanting their money, people holding things up, administrators with no teeth, the Football League with no balls; all the while nothing actually happens, and we just go round and round and round like a vomit-encrusted carousel on Southsea Pier.

Will someone please either pull this club up by the bootstraps OR stick a f***ing bullet in the back of its head once and for all just in order that it can stop embarrassing itself, supporters and football in general any more than it needs to?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The true football fan lurking within my soul wants to ensure Portsmouth FC survives an entity in some form or other, either as a result of a genuine fan rich enough and/or able enough to take them forward, or as an 'AFC Portsmouth', with something for the local community to stick by.

However, the fact is, I am sick and tired of this seemingly endless, tedious, shit-laden carcass of a story being regurgitated over and over again, claim and counterclaim going in, people wanting their money, people holding things up, administrators with no teeth, the Football League with no balls; all the while nothing actually happens, and we just go round and round and round like a vomit-encrusted carousel on Southsea Pier.

Will someone please either pull this club up by the bootstraps OR stick a f***ing bullet in the back of its head once and for all just in order that it can stop embarrassing itself, supporters and football in general any more than it needs to?

I have to say, sir, "bloody well put". I could not agree more with you. I don't want to see a Footy club die but the manner in which this is dragging on is ridiculous. Someone, somewhere MAKE A DECISION!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Pompey deserve to be playing teams like LUTON.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Most true pompey fans both accept and want to start again as Portsmouth City FC. Most of them also understand the club has taken the piss and are quite committed to starting again AFC Wimbledon style.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Hear, f***ing hear.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I always find these threads hard to read given our own near-extinction - due to very different circumstances of course.

The fact Pompey are one of our nearest rivals also generates harsher views than if this was the plight faced by almost any other club (apart from Palace). But I remember a lot of Pompey fans backed our fight for survival.

That said, for the good of football and given how so many creditors have been shafted again and again, I do feel it's about time football had its nose rubbed right in the shit for once. Pompey is a big club with passionate support but that means nothing when greed is put before basic business sense and morals.

It's just a shame Pompey don't cease to exist while still in the Premiership - the Championship at least - just so there can be no doubt how and why a community was robbed of its football club.

Good luck to Portsmouth City United or whatever they'll be called and I hope those dirty bell-ringing PFC chavs move on to support them. Although I bet some might fancy washing and sampling the wonders of the Amex.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't want to see a club like Portsmouth go out of the League it was nearly us 14 years ago a lot of other surpporters gave us surport including the scum. Lets not forget who ruined these clubs not the fans. I still think Portsmouth as our arch rivals not the scum from Croydon or Southampton .?:postwhore:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
If the fans, with a credible head put a proper business plan forward, I for one would happily put a fiver in a bucket. We were begging for survival not so long ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here