Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fixtures? Woolworths goes into administration

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
MFI have gone tonight . Hope no one is waiting for kitchen bedroom or sofa, :down:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I think I have a Woolworths gift voucher at home somewhere. I guess it's worthless now then?

No spend it quick you should have about 4 weeks.

Lets be clear Woolies as we speak has not yet called in the administrators, Robert Peston understands that they will call in the administrators so no doubt it will happen.

Sadly woolies is another victim of the greed of banks, not happy with soaking up billions in our money and paying it out as bonuses they have refused to allow a take-over of the loss making stores to Hilco as it would have meant £300m or so of their debt going with it.

This would have allowed Woolies PLC to survive and have 2 very profitable business's (one distribution business for the likes of Zavvi Sainsbury's etc) and the other Enetertain uk which is a joint venture with BBC. (again its largely a logistics business for the BBC DVD stuff etc).

My punt on 5000 woolies shares a couple of months back has failed sadly but then it was always a 50/1 gamble really.

Oh well some you win some you lose one winner and this loss will be wiped out.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sadly woolies is another victim of the greed of banks, not happy with soaking up billions in our money and paying it out as bonuses they have refused to allow a take-over of the loss making stores to Hilco as it would have meant £300m or so of their debt going with it.

This would have allowed Woolies PLC to survive and have 2 very profitable business's (one distribution business for the likes of Zavvi Sainsbury's etc) and the other Enetertain uk which is a joint venture with BBC. (again its largely a logistics business for the BBC DVD stuff etc).

My punt on 5000 woolies shares a couple of months back has failed sadly but then it was always a 50/1 gamble really.

Oh well some you win some you lose one winner and this loss will be wiped out.

lets be fair here, Woolies are a victim of years of mis-management. this is not the first time they've been here, i recall them being about to go in to administration at least once if not twice in recent years. I dont know who is against the Hilco deal or why, but as i understand it Hilco would have to pick up the debt and then asset strip it. Woolies PLC will be dead either way. Methinks the banks arent interested as they reckon they'll get more money allowing the administrators to do exactly the same job.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Perhaps on the cards, but still a really bad time for the 20,000 or so people more than likely going to lose their jobs at this time

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My thoughts exactly.

Who the f*** shops in Woolworths anyway?

How would you explain it to a foreigner? "Yeah Woolworths is a British institution, it sells... er, bit of this, some of that, um..."

Explain that to an American and they will probably be confused since it is an American company.

Administration does not mean receivership. The administrator's role is to run the business while the company tries to refinance or improve it's profitability so that it can come out of receivership. In practice this often means sacking expensive directors, slashing costs and trying to manage the cashflow. In many cases it isn't possible to save the business - but in some it is.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I feel for the staff, but face it, Woolies is shit. I couldn't even tell you the last time I went in a branch. Won't be missed.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Going into Woolies Haywards Heath is like stepping back in time - it looks like a dated shithole. You could tell they wouldn't survive because they've done nothing for their image over the last few years.

HH high street will seem odd without the WHSmith/Woolies double act though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I imagine the problem is principally that nobody knows what Woolworths stands for, brand wise.

I just think of it as selling cheap tat- Barbie dolls in battered old boxes, plasticky Gola football boots for 6 year olds, High School Musical Easter eggs and pic 'n mix sweets. I can't even vaguely remember the last time I went in there for any other reason than nicking a shoplifter. Certainly haven't bought anything from them for many a year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Lets be clear Woolies as we speak has not yet called in the administrators, Robert Peston understands that they will call in the administrators so no doubt it will happen.
Various news reports are saying the administrators will be called in tomorrow morning. I feel sorry for those who will lose their jobs and when they retire will only get a 90% payout on the company pension as the pension fund has a projected £100M deficit and will be wound up and transferred into the Government's pension protection scheme. BBC Worldwide looks like it will buyout Woolies 40% minority share in 2entertain which is not going into administration.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I feel for the staff, but face it, Woolies is shit. I couldn't even tell you the last time I went in a branch. Won't be missed.

Precisely. Except that I can remember my last time. About 1994. I bought a corkscrew. It broke in half inside the cork of the very first wine bottle I tried to open.

I took it back and the Customer Service response was: "Well, what did you expect?"

Sorry to all the soon-to-be-ex-employees (apart from the one I spoke to above), but as for the company themselves, f*ck 'em. Good riddance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I ventured into the Worthing one last December. It was like an indoor market and stuffed full of kids and mother's with buggies. Fecking nightmare, I walked stright back out.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well if they have a nice stock clear out of games and dvds I might shop there for the first time in ages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here