Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fixtures? Woolworths goes into administration

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wonder if that was why the H/H branch was cleared out early hours of Monday morning?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Holy hell, this recession is getting scarier by the minute.
Woolies has been in a 60's timewarp for YEARS now though. They still pile stock cages behind their doors when they close for christs sake.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am awaiting delivery of a couple of DVDs from Woolies. They have already taken the money from my card.:nono:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Where are all the Chavs in Southwick Square going to shop now :down:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bastard Speedferries I booked a crossing for next April however as I used my credit card I should get a refund.

Norfolk Lines it is then............

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I am awaiting delivery of a couple of DVDs from Woolies. They have already taken the money from my card.:nono:

I doubt you will get your money back. Administrators will pay the banks first. Customers come last on the pecking order. I feel sorry for you. Their no protection for the consumer what so ever.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I got some decent films for £ 3 at Woolworths Southwick Square. If you can't beat the chavs join them is what I say.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Woolies has been one small step up from The Pound Shop for WAY too long. It deserved to go under. It was like some small town Albanian bazaar in there. Deeply sorry for the people who worked in the stores, and if there's any justice their head management team will never work again.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I doubt you will get your money back. Administrators will pay the banks first. Customers come last on the pecking order. I feel sorry for you. Their no protection for the consumer what so ever.

I think you will find the first people the administrators will pay is themselves.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Shit from the POV that the jobs of all the friends I built up over 8 years at Woolies are under threat, but I can't help be more than a bit glad that I left a couple of months ago.

It's been on the cards for a while though, too little overall direction and too much bad management.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Looks like it includes EUK the wholesale arm of the business who supply all CD's and DVD's into the supermarkets

Worrying times indeed.............

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Woolies has been one small step up from The Pound Shop for WAY too long. It deserved to go under. It was like some small town Albanian bazaar in there. Deeply sorry for the people who worked in the stores, and if there's any justice their head management team will never work again.

My thoughts exactly.

Who the f*** shops in Woolworths anyway?

How would you explain it to a foreigner? "Yeah Woolworths is a British institution, it sells... er, bit of this, some of that, um..."

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Shit from the POV that the jobs of all the friends I built up over 8 years at Woolies are under threat, but I can't help be more than a bit glad that I left a couple of months ago.

It's been on the cards for a while though, too little overall direction and too much bad management.

Glad i left in 2004, could see it coming then, poor leadership, management, poor buying and too few staff in branches to blame imo.

When i left they had hope a company would take them over, ( which seemed to be their business plan as they inherited a large debt when the Kingfisher group was broken up) they had someone interested in taking over, but decided to try to make them look more successful than they were by selling virtually all the stock they had at the time and keeping it on their books as cash, the other company saw this, thought something was funny about it and walked away, stating that that money should be given back to shareholders!!

I blame the buyers, they never tried to adapt to changes in the market, such as move to sell MP3 players / Ipods - they carried on selling cassette players!!!

They never even tried to change what they offered in sales etc ever!! - here was only ever a certain amount of Pirex that they could ever sell.

Also their long term policy of never employing enough staff in a store to be able to properly replenish what they actually sold while have tills open to serve customers too.

Often their lines with the biggest profit margins (ladybird clothing) would remain in their stockrooms until it was reduced to next to nothing as sale items, selling them at a loss, staff often didn't get a chance to restock their ranges offered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here