Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Five substitute rule looks set to apply for 2020/21

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I fully expect the 5 sub rule to stay and I am relaxed about the change.

Yes it may benefit bigger teams, but it will ensure that all players stay fitter, and also enable forward thinking clubs to give more game time to younger players.

In terms of the drinks (tactical) time out I recall it being mentioned that regardless of how hot it is, players do benefit from taking on water. Providing this doesn't become a commercial break for TV then although it does stop the flow of the game, it does give managers the opportunity to change things.

Embrace change, everything evolves.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's good for us isn't it.

Worth looking at some sort of spread on the 'points to be relegated' or top-bottom points next season if that's possible.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I like both innovations and I think we have benefitted from them. Potter is exactly the sort of manager who makes the most of this extra flexibility.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not a fan of the five subs thing, though if both the player holidays & the pre-season is heavily shortened, I understand the need for it. And certainly not a disadvantage for Potter.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I fully expect the 5 sub rule to stay and I am relaxed about the change.

Yes it may benefit bigger teams, but it will ensure that all players stay fitter, and also enable forward thinking clubs to give more game time to younger players.

In terms of the drinks (tactical) time out I recall it being mentioned that regardless of how hot it is, players do benefit from taking on water. Providing this doesn't become a commercial break for TV then although it does stop the flow of the game, it does give managers the opportunity to change things.

Embrace change, everything evolves.

I'm not against change generally but if we stick with the 4 quarters approach and adds start to creep in on TV coverage (as they are looking at for VAR time outs in future seasons) then that would ruin the game for me. If it ain't broke....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Looking at this from the clubs point of view, the more players that get on the pitch on match day the happier the squad will be.

Also 9 players on the bench means fewer players knocking on the manager's door, upset at failing to make the 18 man squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here