Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five Daughters

1066gull

Anyone been watching this?

Real insight in to the lives they never really wanted.

I remember clearly how the media made it so easy for me to believe Tom Stevens was guilty and I remember discussing in media studies how the media can jeopardise evidence or make a complete influence in the prosecution, but luckily Steve Wright was stupid enough to be in the system.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Quality programme.

It is frightening to think that girls were working the streets, knowing full well that there was a serial killer on the loose.

It is a desperate state of affairs when girls will put there lives at risk for a fix.

1066gull

Thought that was a dig at me before LB clarified.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
spoilt by making it consequitive nights imo, watched the first and missed the rest.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
This case does show massively the value of a DNA database. Steven Wright wasn't really on the police radar until they found a bit of his DNA on one of the girls and arrested him. When Wright's house/car were examined there was more than enough evidence gained after i.e a bit of his footwell carpet in one of the girls hair, miniscule speks of some of the girls blood on his jacket to convict him. His DNA was taken a few years previously after he nicked about £60 from the till of the pub he was a barman in....I wonder how many lives that saved.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Quality TV; well-acted, an emphathetic and non-sensationalised insight into lives most of us don't really understand. Particularly enjoyed the strength of the supporting characters, like the Drugs Counsellor - well-written and perfectally judged performances.

But my God that police chief had ears like a Star Wars character!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That is the power of drugs on some peoples lives - and the people who exploit it.

The girls truly were someone's daughter. sister, mother.

Sobering.

that it was and was very well handled by the good old BBC the programme was excellent

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I echo those who say what a fantastic piece of TV that was. Showed how good Britsih TV can be, just wish there was more of it than say the X Factor.

Getting back to the topic, I almost cried when the parents were shown the bodies of their daughters. Looking back at photos of when they were babies etc. Who knows what our children will turn out like. You hope and pray that they will take the right path, that you guide them the best way that you can. But if they take a wrong turn and then another or get mixed up with wrong boyfriend then who knows. Its not all down to poor backgrounds as we saw.

The issue of drugs really needs looking at, esp heroin. We need to somehow break the bond between dealer and user. Perhaps the only real answer is for Heroin to be supplied on the NHS?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I echo those who say what a fantastic piece of TV that was. Showed how good Britsih TV can be, just wish there was more of it than say the X Factor.

Getting back to the topic, I almost cried when the parents were shown the bodies of their daughters. Looking back at photos of when they were babies etc. Who knows what our children will turn out like. You hope and pray that they will take the right path, that you guide them the best way that you can. But if they take a wrong turn and then another or get mixed up with wrong boyfriend then who knows. Its not all down to poor backgrounds as we saw.

The issue of drugs really needs looking at, esp heroin. We need to somehow break the bond between dealer and user. Perhaps the only real answer is for Heroin to be supplied on the NHS?

Couldn't agree with you more, Diffbrook, especially about the issue of drugs.

There was a programme on not long ago about a girl called Hannah from Brighton. Heartbreaking to watch. She was so pretty and well brought up but just fell in with really bad company. I think her mum paid for her to go to South Africa on a drug rehabilitation programme. Don't know how it turned out though.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Brilliant programme because it focussed on the victims and not the perpetrator for once and was all the better for it. Definite eye opener that it could be your daughter, anyones daughter that ends up like that. Bloody Drugs!!

Does make you wonder if the govt should be supplying them in certain circumstances with an agreed plan of rehabilitation. Great to here that theyre mainly off the streets now, in Ipswich at least.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't agree with you more, Diffbrook, especially about the issue of drugs.

There was a programme on not long ago about a girl called Hannah from Brighton. Heartbreaking to watch. She was so pretty and well brought up but just fell in with really bad company. I think her mum paid for her to go to South Africa on a drug rehabilitation programme. Don't know how it turned out though.

No matter what the treatment on offer, the user has to want to quit.

Met Hannah many times.

1066gull

I agree. The television licence fee is a wonderful thing because it enables us to produce wonderful programming by allowing grants to storywriters and directors. I personally think it should stay. Yes, there are strict guidelines when they are given such a large sum of money to make a programme, as there should be, but if the television tax is taken away it will never come back. No one will bring a tax back after its gone, and then everyone will wonder why our programmes will be like the way American television has gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here