Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

first time buyers

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Interesting debate.

However, no one has yet mentioned the "time-bomb" thats emerging.

Q: Who buys 3/4/5 bed properties?
A: Usually, 2 bed owners that have gained some equity and are looking to start a family/or want more space.

Q: So if the 2 bed owners are acutually becomming tennants and thus not gernerating equity to enable them to buy 3/4/5 bed houses, what happens to 3/4/5 bed house sales in 10 years?
A: Shit, not enough buyers.

Outcome: Sales of 3/4/5 beds will become very difficult and may push the price of these types of property down. Meanwhile the prices for 2 bed will always remain strong as they are in the greatest demand (both FTBs and BTLs)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sorry to sit on the fence but I do sympathise with both sides of this debate.

I can see the investment opportuinty in buy-to-let and we all would like to try and create a little more wealth for our futures if we were honest.

But I also feel for the first time buyers - I've got two kids and I know I am the only hope they will have of getting on to the property ladder.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Wozza said:
Funny, isn't it? You'd think she'd get a good view of the real world from her mighty 4x4.

The new one arrived yesterday, just in time for next weeks school run. :D

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
readingstockport said:
Starry has a house that she rents out in order to make money from those who are unable to buy a house because people buy houses as speculative investments.

Wrong!

Most are part of my husbands company property portfolio. I can only dream about seeing any money from that flock of houses.

They are homes purchased to house his employees who come from overseas on 'short' contracts here, rent from us before going home again.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Starry, may I be as bold as to suggest that if your husband has bought some houses to let out to his employees you are in a fairly healthy position and are highly unlikely to register a loss on your investment, unless of course he has a very creative accountant.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Gully said:
Starry, may I be as bold as to suggest that if your husband has bought some houses to let out to his employees you are in a fairly healthy position and are highly unlikely to register a loss on your investment, unless of course he has a very creative accountant.

Nah, we don't use Ridsdale's accountant!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Starry said:
The new one arrived yesterday, just in time for next weeks school run. :D

4x4s aren't called 'off-roaders' for nothing; lost count of the number that I've seen flipped over.

:shootself

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
First time buyers are almost non existant these days, they come out of renting some where compare what their mortgage affords them to what they're renting and stay put I find. I also find most buy to let investors to be rather snooty and thinks the world owes them a favour because they have a 95% buy to let mortgage :shootself

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Starry said:
Congratulations.

Gee, thanks.
The last time was last Wednesday night. The guy in the passenger seat didn't congratulate me, but then again his leg had been severed just above the knee. The driver didn't say much either as her pelvis had been crushed and she was in a degree of discomfort. The father driving the car they hit was killed instantly.

4x4s keep me busy.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Bry Nylon said:
Gee, thanks.
The last time was last Wednesday night. The guy in the passenger seat didn't congratulate me, but then again his leg had been severed just above the knee. The driver didn't say much either as her pelvis had been crushed and she was in a degree of discomfort. The father driving the car they hit was killed instantly.

4x4s keep me busy.

Uhm, well done?

That's sad.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Starry said:
Uhm, well done?

err, yeah - well, you're welcome.

I don't want to make this a 4x4 thread (there have been enough). And I can't comment further on any particular incidents as I only deal with the aftermarth and don't know the circumstances that lead up to them; but I do believe that before people are permitted to drive off-road vehicles on the road they should have to sit an additional driving test. Seems crazy that anybody can just walk into a showroom and come out with a 3 tonne vehicle with a 4.2 litre turbo charged engine without having to prove any higher degree of competence as a driver ...

oh well....:shrug:

Ps - not commenting on your driving Starry, before you go into one. Just a general observation. Afterall, you may well have an HGV Class II licence for all I know.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Bry Nylon said:
Ps - not commenting on your driving Starry, before you go into one. Just a general observation. Afterall, you may well have an HGV Class II licence for all I know.

It's OK, I'm female of course I am a bad driver ;-)

I'm not sure I agree with people who chose to drive a big engine, heavy car type vehicle having to take an extra class/test. Never really thought about it though, but would you then have people who chose to drive a sports car vs a mondeo vs a Land Rover Sport vs a Smart car vs an MPV all taking 'car/engine size' specific tests?

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Due to the high price of property in the SE the only way both a niece and a nephew of mine could get on the ladder was to buy property to rent out and not live in themselves staying at home living cheap with their respective mum and dad. One lives in Worthing has bought in Doncaster and one who lives in Feltham Middlesex has bought in Grimsby.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Starry said:
It's OK, I'm female of course I am a bad driver ;-)

I'm not sure I agree with people who chose to drive an off road vehicle having to take an extra class/test. Never really thought about it though, but would you then have people who chose to drive a sports car vs a mondeo vs a Land Rover Sport vs a Smart car vs an MPV all taking 'car/engine size' specific tests?

Women have fewer accidents then men FACT. There are all sorts of people who will say it is purely because proportionally women drive fewer miles, and there may be something in that. But I also believe it is because men tend to be far more aggresive drivers / get wound up more easily etc etc.

Never really thought about lots of different driving tests, depending on vehicle type... maybe it has merit? Was shocked when I read about Prince Naseem Hamed's crash following his reelease from jail this week. He was driving a McLaren F1. He hit a mondeo and apparently, according to road markings, the mondeo stopped instantly on impact and was pushed backwards :eek: :eek: :eek: The fact the man and woman in the car lived is amazing (he did have fractures to every bone in his body).

This is a very long way of saying that I don't know what the answer is, except for everybody to be a bit more careful and considerate :angel:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where do you draw the line on further tests. Do you have one for people towing,especially caravans and boats at excessive speeds down the motorway showing how well they can drive or how fast their car will go whilst towing.

I think that the only possible solution is to restrict new drivers of any age for the first 2 years of passing their test to vehicles with under 1300cc engine, but then again even some 1100 are quite fast.

Of course an old banger of 1000cc can do untold damage to a line of pedestrians at a bus queue if not driven considerately.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
with the upmost respect can we keep this on topic and take your 4x4 chat somewhere else???

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Springal said:
with the upmost respect can we keep this on topic and take your 4x4 chat somewhere else???

Sorry :blush:

We'll be in the muddy field out the back if you want us :wave:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Springal said:

See my post

Due to the high price of property in the SE the only way both a niece and a nephew of mine could get on the ladder was to buy property to rent out and not live in themselves staying at home living cheap with their respective mum and dad. One lives in Worthing has bought in Doncaster and one who lives in Feltham Middlesex has bought in Grimsby.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
BensGrandad said:
See my post

Did they use a big 4x4 to commute between the properties?

...shit!! Sorry :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here