Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] First managerial casualty of the season?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One game in and Preston have parted company with their manager

Preston North End were beaten 2-0 at home on Friday night by Sheffield United; A Preston statement said: "Following discussions that took place on Sunday 11th August, it was mutually agreed that now was an appropriate time for a change to be made.";

Appropriate time? 🤔
Talksport earlier - interview with the chairman. "The manager came to a meeting and said he couldn't take the team any further". So, essentially he resigned, and a 'mutual agreement' deal was made.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Talksport earlier - interview with the chairman. "The manager came to a meeting and said he couldn't take the team any further". So, essentially he resigned, and a 'mutual agreement' deal was made.
Would they not have had that discussion at the end of last season.that was kinda my point re ‘appropriate’

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Totally bizarre to sack a manager after 1 game. As we are all aware 1 game in the championship is not going to define your season.

Has to be either outside football influences or potentially contractural. Sacked after 3 years left compensation.

Either way i would be fuming if I was a Preston fan.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One game in and Preston have parted company with their manager

Preston North End were beaten 2-0 at home on Friday night by Sheffield United; A Preston statement said: "Following discussions that took place on Sunday 11th August, it was mutually agreed that now was an appropriate time for a change to be made.";

Appropriate time? 🤔
I have no knowledge or evidence of this scenario, but it is possibly something to do with the payoff for sacked managers reducing after seasons? So if, for example, your man from Preston was sacked in the summer, it would've cost the club a lot more than if he was given his P45 after the new season started (in actual footballing terms, not just the preseason stuff)? Or some other clause in his contract?

Probably typing nonsense, but I can't figure out why clubs would get rid after just one game :shrug:

Edit: TL;DR? What @Washie said!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally bizarre to sack a manager after 1 game. As we are all aware 1 game in the championship is not going to define your season.

Has to be either outside football influences or potentially contractural. Sacked after 3 years left compensation.

Either way i would be fuming if I was a Preston fan.
Quite the opposite - rubbernecking on their forum, apart from the ludicrous timing, they are DELIGHTED that Ryan Lowe has now gone, although they ideally wanted that to happen at the end of last season. Very much a case of "one down, one to go" (they despise Ridsdale as well). There's relief that its happened now rather than a few months down the line. But he wasn't sacked.

They had an appalling end to last season, just 1 point from the last 6 games and no goals scored, which bombed their lingering Playoff hopes. Lowe was roundly boo'd on Friday night after the Sheff Utd game, so the fans had turned, and from what Ridsdale was saying, he just didn't fancy carrying on in the job. Apparenly he said "I enjoy the Monday to Friday, but not Saturday any more". Ridsdale spent 4 hours yesterday trying to talk him round, but to no avail.

The timing is terrible, being as he obviously took pre-season, and they brought in 3 or 4 new players. Plus they were on the brink of closing a deal on a new signing from Germany - that deal is now up in the air. Lowe has done himself no favours with this shambles, not sure who'd fancy employing this flake now he's left them high and dry. That said, I'm sure there will be something about his 'mental health' coming out soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Preston co-director Peter Risdale, where have i heard that name before can someone enlighten me please.
Was CEO at Leeds when they ballsed up their finances and ended up out of the EPL for 20 years.

Edit and if you can't find him when you google him its because its Ridsdale

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here