Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First ever game...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
The Laughing Bluebird said:
The guy who scored City's winner at the Goldstone in 75 (my first away game) now lives just a couple of miles away from me, works for DHL as a driver, and regularly delivers packages to my office. Even spookier!

Strange how footballers end up at places like DHL!

Neil Webb and Keith MacPherson, among others who played for Reading, now all work together in the Royal Mail sorting office in Reading. :ohmy:

I'd bet they've got a damn good regional posties team! :D

http://www.thebubbleburst.co.uk/neilwebb/

and his interview... the man is a Royals fan through and through

http://www.royals.org/classic-gold/index071199.html :clap2:

GVR

Aug 28, 2003
Philippines
Home - preseason friendly in 74 or 75 vs an All Star XI. I think the game ended 2-2 and George Best (the one from West Ham not the alcoholic one!).

Away - Forest in the League Cup in 78. A glorious 3-1 defeat against the European Cup Holders. I was given the day off school to go and my main memories were being packed in the terraces like sardines (couldn't see the goal at the scoreboard end), bumping into my brother who was down from Hull Uni for the game, and Wardy's terrific equaliser. Happy days......

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
GVR said:
Home - preseason friendly in 74 or 75 vs an All Star XI. I think the game ended 2-2 and George Best (the one from West Ham not the alcoholic one!).

I don't remember a George Best playing for West Ham. I remember Clyde Best though, one of the first black players to play regular professional football. Can't work out how you could mix the two Bests up.

Reminds of someone asking my dad at the cricket which was Clive Lloyd and which was David. My old man, absolutely deadpan, said that Clive was wearing the glasses.
:lolol:

Wilts. I think that Keith McPherson played for Brighton too - or have I got him mixed up with someone else.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
First game: 1-1 v Hartlepool @ Goldstone, either 92 or 93.
First away game: 0-1 @ Carlisle, 8/8/98

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
1st Home Game - 1988 vs Arsenal in the FA Cup (lost)
1st Away Game - Kingstonian in the FA Cup (lost)

GVR

Aug 28, 2003
Philippines
Gwylen - correct challenge. It was indeed Clyde Best. I imagine my confusion was partly due to my brother telling me in the lead up to the game that GEORGE Best was playing. It probably took me until well into the second half before I realised he wasn't.
:dunce:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Home: v Preston in Feb 1971, inevitable 0-0 draw

Away: semi final v Sheffield Wednesday,

1st away league match was at Cardiff in September 1984 and we won 4-2.

kevinbha

Aug 25, 2003
Worthing
God I feel old, right here I go:

Mine are 2 quite famous ones

Home 1964/64 10-1 v Wisbech
Away 1966/7 0-1 Chelsea at stamford bridge, 50,000 crowd and brighton fans smashed a gate down to get in as they closed the gates.

might be wrong about the years

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
9th April 1989 - Wigan Athletic 1-0. Alan Curbishley scored a diving header.
The only time i've ever touched the ball as a member of the crowd.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can't remember the game, date or score but it was just before England won the World Cup so that would be in the 1965/66 season.

Strangely I can remember a bit better my first Palace game which was the same season but earlier (I think). It was against Rotherham (I think) and Palace won 1-0.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
kevinbha said:
God I feel old, right here I go:

Away 1966/7 0-1 Chelsea at stamford bridge, 50,000 crowd and brighton fans smashed a gate down to get in as they closed the gates.

might be wrong about the years

I was there at Chelsea but instead of smashing a gate down I sat in a pub across the road. I was on the train going up and the gates were closed before we arrived. (year is right too and it was my first away game)

My first home game was 61/62 can't remember that far back for details

AlbionFan

Aug 14, 2003
Sompting
My first home game was at the Goldstone in 1990 against Plymouth, we won 3-2 with Plymouth scoring near the end. My first away game I think was Torquay in the late 90’s, but not sure about that.

Frank Dux

Jul 24, 2003
Reigate
Brighton - Barnet 1981 I think, FA Cup 3rd round replay & we signed Graham Pearce just after that, think we won 3-1 but was only 6. away would have been at Swansea (my dad's a fan) around that time but can remember nothing of it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think mine was Albion v Bradford City, August 1985. If I remember correctly it was the first game Bradford played after the fire. Despite being only about 9 years old, I knew enough to love Danny Wilson. And not think much of mullet-meister Chris Hutchings.

First away game was Leyton Orient, nasty wet evening about 1995 I think. Won 3-0.

I only started going because Dad took my brother to the Goldstone and I was jealous, despite having no interest in football at that point. Brother lost interest rapidly, but here I am still. :clap2:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Seagullible said:
first game 26th November 1986 away to Reading at Elm Park. Lost 2-1 Steve Penney scored

That was my first ever away game. Stitched up by a Trevor Senior goal scored after he brought the ball under control with his hand. Loads of trouble before, during and after the game.

First home game was a 1-1 draw with Leeds towards the tail end of the 1984-85 season. Biley scored after 5 minutes, there were almost 18,000 inside the Goldstone. I'd never been before, but I was hooked immediately - the next home game I missed was four years later!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here