Firework factory fire near Ringmer

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Heffle Gull said:
Those killed and injured have now been named according to the Argus:

Argus Story

5 of the injured were from Heathfield (my home town!).

:down:

Sorry
This site has recently been relaunched using new software and as a result some of the pages may have moved to new locations.

All of our old news and features are still available; please use the site map below to find the new home of the items you are looking for.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Commander said:
Sorry
This site has recently been relaunched using new software and as a result some of the pages may have moved to new locations.

All of our old news and features are still available; please use the site map below to find the new home of the items you are looking for.

Here is the full story:

Firefighters killed and injured at fireworks factory explosion named
The names of the firefighters injured in the Shortgate fireworks factory blaze emerged today.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service retained firefighter Geoff Wicker, 49, and brigade photographer Brian Wembridge, 63, were killed in yesterday's fire at the Festival Fireworks factory at Shortgate, near Lewes.

The firefighters who spent the night in hospital were named as Mike Sweetman of Heathfield station and Clive Widgery of Barcombe station.

The other injured firefighters were Peter Lilley and Will Marler of Barcombe station, Jason Wilton, Julie Skeffington, Simon Wood and Henry Wark of Heathfield station and Ricky Ross of Lewes station.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
a guy who i work with used to be a firefighter at heathfield, he may well know the people from heathfield station

Updated

Yes he knew Geoff when he was a firefighter at Mayfield, lots of flowers at heathfield Firestation, its just round the corner from where i work

Last edited:

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Lord Bracknell said:
One local firefighter who is very well known in the world of football - as a referee - is Lewes Station Officer Steve Tomlin.

I wonder whether he was on duty on Sunday.

Crikey, that through me Lord B!!

He works with me on a very very regular basis!! In fact he was in the office on Friday. He still refs, but not as much as he used to - he got married earlier this year!

He is fine, as are all of the crews from brighton, hove and roedean. I got a bit of a scare as one of my guys has a very similar name to one of the poor chaps that died, only 2 letters extra on his surname.

He cant express the sorrow that he is feeling for the chaps that died, they all knew them both played golf with the guys that didnt make it.

I said it earlier, and i will say it again - these people died doing their jobs and trying to save peoples lives and their property - it shouldnt happen but it has. Lets hope that lessons are learnt from this tragic accident and procedures are put into place to ensure that this never happens again.

Please dont moan if you dont get west ham tickets - its not the end of the world for you and their are much worst things happening in the world than not getting a ticket to a football match - even if you are an UBER fan.

:down:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Trotster said:
I said it earlier, and i will say it again - these people died doing their jobs and trying to save peoples lives and their property - it shouldnt happen but it has. Lets hope that lessons are learnt from this tragic accident and procedures are put into place to ensure that this never happens again.

Sadly, inevitably, firefighters will die in service in the future. But all the procedures that firefighters adopt today have been developed directly from incidents where colleagues have lost their lives.

Once again, when all the investigations are complete, the lessons of the tradgey at Halland will be used to update our safety procedures. The best tribute I can pay to Fire service photographer Brian Wembridge and Firefighter Geoff Wicker is that they have not died in vain.

I hope, in time, that might bring a small measure of comfort to their families.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The company which owned a fireworks warehouse that exploded,
killing two firemen, has previously been fined for storing explosives without a
licence, it emerged today.
1600 briefing at East Sussex Fire and Rescue Services headquarters in Upperton
Road, Eastbourne

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Fot those that are interested in contributing to the Memorial Fund, The Fire Services Benevolent Fund or the Books of Condolence, the details are below.

Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fire call was received for Festival Fireworks, Marlie Farm, The Broyle, Shortgate, Near Ringmer, East Sussex on the 3 December 2006 at 13:49 hours.

Crews were faced with a large developing fire involving a range of outbuildings containing fire works and cylinders. A large explosion is reported to have occurred less than an hour from the first call being received and a number of casualties were reported.

In addition to the two fatal casualties, nine Firefighters were also injured along with a police sergeant and two members of the public. All the Firefighters have now been discharged from hospital although some treatment will continue for weeks to come.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service has been overwhelmed by the messages of kindness, support and empathy received from all over the country.

Memorial Fund.
An account has now been established with immediate effect at the Nat West Bank for a Memorial Fund to be created from all donations received.

The name of the Account is the East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service Memorial Fund.
The Bank Sort Code details are: 60.13.09 (Nat West Lewes Branch)
The Account number is: 41549392
The account is now operational.

Alternatively, cheques made payable to the East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service Memorial Fund can be sent to the following address:

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service Memorial Fund
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service
Service Headquarters
20 Upperton Road,
Eastbourne,
East Sussex,
BN21 1EU.

However, if preferred, donations are also welcomed to be made by cheque to the Fire Services Benevolent Fund and forwarded to the above address.

Books of Condolences
Books of Condolences will be available at all East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service stations and other locations from tomorrow afternoon.
Brighton and Hove City Council are opening books of condolences at Portslade Town Hall, Brighton Town Hall, Hove Town and the Jubilee Library in central Brighton.
East Sussex County Council are opening a book of condolence at County Hall Lewes.
All condolences received to date will be gathered into a separate book.

If people prefer to leave messages online, a facility has been set up on our website at www.esfrs.org.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
The company which owned a fireworks warehouse that exploded,
killing two firemen, has previously been fined for storing explosives without a
licence, it emerged today.

Not quite the full story, it was a small separate building which they hadnt a licence for not the whole site - doesnt mean they were stored dangerously

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Tribute to Brian Wembridge, East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.
bwembridgebb3.jpg

Brian Wembridge, aged 63, has had a long and distinguished career with East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service and was an experienced officer serving operationally at many stations including Crowborough Fire Station and working at Divisional Headquarters and Operations Command. He retired as a Watch Manager in 1994, however he continued with the service as a Support Staff member as video technician filming fires, road traffic accidents and other special services for training and media purposes.

Brian's work is well respected by all sections of the service and the media and also those in the service. Brian was very much involved in youth intervention with the LIFE Project, Phoenix Project and 'Safe Drive Stay Alive Project' and with the Networking Women in the Fire Service, many members of which have texted and called in their sadness at Brian's death.

Brian was a very popular member of staff, was respected by all in the service and he will be greatly missed. He had tremendous enthusiasm for the work of the Fire & Rescue Service and worked extremely hard, whilst always remaining cheerful. He leaves a wife and two sons.

Tribute to Geoffrey Wicker, East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.
gwickerhq6.jpg

Geoffrey Wicker, aged 49, joined East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service in 1975 as a retained firefighter and during his time at Mayfield Community Fire Station became an experienced and valuable officer. Geoff also became the officer in charge of that station. He transferred to Heathfield Community Fire Station in 1999 and became the officer in charge there also. Geoff joined the Mobilising & Communication Centre in 1995 in addition to his retained firefighter role and was promoted to Watch Manager in 2005.

Geoff was a very popular person and a highly respected member of the service in both his roles and will be greatly missed by all. Geoff provided support and assistance to many of our staff in his retained role, helping to train and mentor others and helping to improve the service both actively in the community and with ideas for improvements.

Geoff was highly visible in the service and was equally proactive working in our Mobilising & Communication Centre where he was a champion for bringing computers onto fire appliances. Geoff has been an extremely enthusiastic team member and has always worked hard, always striving to improve things. Geoff leaves a wife and two daughters and their loss is very much shared by all of us.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Buzzer said:
don't know what to say without sounding trite or insincere :down:

Buzzer, having just seen your 'NSC Christmas Charity Collection' thread I would say that your actions speak louder than any words.

Thank you

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Philip Morley, a manager with Festival Fireworks, said the lifting of the ban was an HSE ruling and they were merely abiding by it. "They think we are competent to have a licence."

In 1999, Festival Fireworks owner Martin Winter was fined £1,000 for storing fireworks in an unlicensed building.

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here