Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Firemen question

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
So earlier on this year a massive gust of wind blew over the aerial on a house.

The road was sealed of by the fire brigade as they removed it and would the house owner have had to pay ?

BTW Bry, why are you always taking pictures at work ???

They need the photos for their work.
Yes the house owner would have claimed on their house insurance (hopefully they had some)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
When the Sussex Police force retreated from the rural areas to the larger police stations in places like Horsham and Worthing I advised my parents to call the Fire Brigade if they ever suspected that they were being burgled. The main reason was that the local fire station was only a couple of doors away, they could be guaranteed two fire engines with about 12 men in them on the doorstep inside 4 minutes, I don't think the cops could have managed one in an hour. Maybe not quite entering into the spirit of the law, but if you were a burgler intent on robbing a couple of pensioners and a dozen hefty firemen appeared what would you do?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ali jenkins said:
So they ban sliding down a pole due to health and safety issues, but running down stairs is ok?

The worlds gone mad!

Then it can only a matter of time til Pole Dancing clubs become illegal. Running Down Stairs clubs anyone?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So many questions, and I only have a short break before I get back to the snooker...

Edna, yes - we do go to every call on blue lights. If we had an accident en route to a call and we weren't displaying blues there would be real trouble. We try not to put two tones on between 21:00hrs and 07:00hrs, unless in a build up area or on the motorway.

The reason we don't do cats up trees is simply because we have better things to do. If you were trapped in a house fire or in an RTA and we turned up 5 mins later than we could have done because we were in the middle of nowhere trying to get a cat out of a tree, you would be v pissed of. Personally, I'd be happy to get cats out of trees all day long.

(In a similar vein, we used to get alot of calls to people locked out of their homes. They would call 999, say they were loocked out and had left the grill on, and we would get sent to climb in through a window. I have never done a job like that were the grill really had been left on....
Now, we simply get the 'Door Enforcer' [ie - a 25kg battering ram] off the appliance. People tend to look at that and say, "Err, what are you going to do with that?!?"
When we explain that we are about to knock their front door half-way down their hallway, they suddenly remember that they haven't left the grill on after all, and elect to phone a lock smith instead...).

Beachy, I don't take all the pics! We share it around! But we carry a digital camera and camcorder on the appliance and record certain jobs for de-brief / training purposes. Its an invaluable learning aid. As The CoPB says, media orgs often want incident pics too.

Right, it's me to break, apparently....

Last edited:

Bry Nylon said:
So many questions, and I only have a short break before I get back to the snooker...

Actually it may not have been my snooker that let me down, I also told them in the interview that I thought it was always best to fight fire with fire. That didn't go down very well either.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Lokki 7 said:
Actually it may not have been my snooker that let me down, I also told them in the interview that I thought it was always best to fight fire with fire. That didn't go down very well either.

:lolol:

Home now. No snooker at all last night, as the Recreational Room is being refurbished, so we had to spend most of the night training and checking equipment :rolleyes:

(I think that that Red Adair bloke does actually fight fire with fire when he caps oil fires and stuff. Maybe give him a call?)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Firemen question

Shegull said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Go on then you can have him but I still want to see a picture of what I missed. ??? ??? ???

Photo taken during break from snooker this evening ...
(actually, it was taken after a 'car wash' day last weekend...). Thanks to all who donated to the Fire Services Benevolent Fund :kiss:

ali3eg4.png

Last edited:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Firemen question

Bry Nylon said:
Photo taken during break from snooker this evening ...
(actually, it was taken after a 'car wash' day last weekend...). Thanks to all who donated to the Fire Services Benevolent Fund :kiss:

ali3eg4.png

:love: :love: :love: :blush: :blush: :blush:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hey Bry - whilst we're doing q&a, can i ask a question?

A girlfriend of mine just went mad at me as I don't drive with a baby on board sign in my car - personally I hate the things.... Anyhow - she said if I'm in an accident that the emergency services may not notice Arthur? ? ? Is that true? Do you pay attention to the silly "Little Miss Naughty Child on board" signs or not? Maybe Edna could help if Bry's not available...

Fanks :lol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
tedebear said:
Hey Bry - whilst we're doing q&a, can i ask a question?

A girlfriend of mine just went mad at me as I don't drive with a baby on board sign in my car - personally I hate the things.... Anyhow - she said if I'm in an accident that the emergency services may not notice Arthur? ? ? Is that true? Do you pay attention to the silly "Little Miss Naughty Child on board" signs or not? Maybe Edna could help if Bry's not available...

Fanks :lol:

Well Tede, if we can be bothered to stop playing snooker and actually turn out, the first thing we do on arrival at an RTA is count the number of casualties so the Officer-in-Charge can prioritise our actions and call for additional appliances if required etc. We check the number we've counted by asking the people involved exactly how many occupants were travelling in each vehicle. In the event that a key casualty is unconscious / dead, we always check for things like Baby on Board signs / childseats / toys in cars etc. If there are Baby on Board signs / childseats etc, but no sign of an infant, we'll then check every inch of the car (we have found babies thrown under seats in the impact before now), plus do a detailed vicinity search of the immediate area, just in case a child has been thrown clear or simply wandered off before we arrived.

The only time those Baby on Board signs are a problem is when there is in fact no baby in the car, but the adult occupants aren't able to tell us that. Then we waste valuable time doing a vicinity search looking for a non-existant toddler. But I guess it is unreasonable to expect people to keep taking the signs in and out of their cars.

With or without one of those signs, we will find babies and toddlers. We would certainly never miss a child strapped into a car seat. It is the first thing we look for.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey Bry! Bet you never had any of this firefighter-friendly female attention when you were plain old BRIAN Nylon from Accounts in Essex. :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I heard a lovely story, which may or may not be true, about firefighters in London. There was a bloke who was new on the watch and was always being given the crap jobs to do. One of the first calls he attended was to a car crash in the middle of the night. The vehicle in question had left the road and rolled down an embankment, the sole occupant was known to be dead, in fact he was missing a vital part of his anatomy...his head.

The fire chief called new bloke over, handed him a torch, and told him to conduct a search for the head. Off he went into the gloom, merrily whistling to himself, returning a short time later. He walked up to the chief and asked if he had any anadin, he was told that he didn't and then asked why. At which point the new bloke produced a head from behind his back and said "this bloke has a headache"...apparently the chief passed out.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Gully said:
I heard a lovely story, which may or may not be true, about firefighters in London. There was a bloke who was new on the watch and was always being given the crap jobs to do. One of the first calls he attended was to a car crash in the middle of the night. The vehicle in question had left the road and rolled down an embankment, the sole occupant was known to be dead, in fact he was missing a vital part of his anatomy...his head.

The fire chief called new bloke over, handed him a torch, and told him to conduct a search for the head. Off he went into the gloom, merrily whistling to himself, returning a short time later. He walked up to the chief and asked if he had any anadin, he was told that he didn't and then asked why. At which point the new bloke produced a head from behind his back and said "this bloke has a headache"...apparently the chief passed out.

Not heard that story before, but I was given the "go get the severed head" job early in my service, at a 'person struck by train' incident.

I did it, but I had nightmares / flashbacks for quite some time afterwards.

Bry Nylon said:
Not heard that story before, but I was given the "go get the severed head" job early in my service, at a 'person struck by train' incident.

I did it, but I had nightmares / flashbacks for quite some time afterwards.

Uh....that does sound particularly unpleasant. I doubt that dealing with the rest of the torso would be a picnic either.

I suppose it would be disrespectful to ask if you tried to revive?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Bry Nylon said:

With or without one of those signs, we will find babies and toddlers. We would certainly never miss a child strapped into a car seat. It is the first thing we look for.

Thanks Bry - great answer - calmed my nerves a million!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here