Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fire on railway?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I attempted the 5:32pm to Littlehampton last night - first stop east Croydon where we were told next stop would be Littlehampton....

12 carriages of people over to platform 2 to catch an already full Brighton train that then proceeds to stop signal to signal....I never knew Balscombe was such a lovely place as I looked at it out the window for about 1 1/2 hours last night...

and they managed to stop in a place no one had signal on their phones - and the more incredible thing was since I was in the bike carriage I heard all the conversations between the driver / conductor and the information they were getting from control was f***ing INCONSITENT.... the conductor even said that there are places along the line where he can't get in contact with control as his mobile phone doesn't work and his pager isn't great either!!

Absolutely DIRE - and I'll be writing a rather large letter of complaint.... :angry: :censored:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That always happens to me, trains getting stuck at Balcombe, the deepest, darkest mobile phone blackspot in the country.

Stupid, stupid place for a station.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I know stupid thing is edna - that they could have stopped at Balcombe station and let us all off but he had to drive through it by about 50 metres and then stop!!! :angry:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Balcombe is a cruddy little station anyway, and you'd still have had to go about 2 miles up the road to get a signal. Technology hasn't reached the wilds of mid Sussex yet.

I used to take my car to a garage there. One day the train I planned to get to Three Bridges departed early, so I missed it. Thus leaving me standing in the pouring rain for an hour until the next one arrived, with no umbrella, no shelter apart from the leaking stairway, no food, no shop nearby to buy a paper to while away the time, and no way of telling my office that I was going to be very late, because my phone wouldn't work no matter how far up the road I walked.

So I have a particular phobia about the place!

bhaexpress said:
Not South Central's fault actually. Network Rail are the true culprits.

Well actually it's down to firstly the sodding Tories for privatisation in the first place and then sodding New Labour for not re-nationalising.
It was not the Tories' best move. The railways are one of those industries which needs to be kept as a national company, and in the public sector.

Basic national services should be allowed to run without profit and with the only goal being good service. Unfortunately it seems nowadays that trains which run on time or are not cancelled have become the exception rather than the rule :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here