Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fire at the White Hart hotel, Lewes.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
This has got to be the most stupid thread ever started.

Go in to a pub, sit near a candle, set yourself on fire, then go home and log on to NSC to tell all about it. Most people would have thought; what a prat I am for doing that.

It would be quite an hoour to be able to accept this ast he most stupid thread on NSC but somehow fear there would be many others who could lay claim to this.

Why did I post on here? Well, having never been set alight before and knowing the many varied and learned (some more learned than others) posters who frequent NSC, then maybe I'd get a wider view on what occured, wether there was neglect, what, if anything, would be seen as a reasonable response from the hotel. Well there's been a fair few views and I welcome them all, even those that lay the blame firmly on me.

Having had a few hours to think on this, I still hold that, if a public place sets out tables and chairs, for the use of customers, then they are obliged to ensure they have been risked accesssed, not just to what they, in the cold light of day, may consider safe but also who may sit there, man, woman or child and of whatever disability or impairment they may have.

When I sat in the chair, which was already there around a table, I did not pay much attention to anything other than the company I had. The candle was burning at about the hight of the back of the chair. A fire has a guard or fireplace which gives a distance barrier. This candle was close enough that, from normal movement in my chair, it was able to set alight to the coat I was wearing, now that's pretty close.

If the person sitting in my seat had had long hair, especially if the had used certain hair products, then this could have resulted in serious injury.

As for chasing a claim etc, I would have expected a little more than indifference from the hotel. The manager had to called 3 times before he came down and saw me at reception. He did not even come to the bar area to see where it happened and his stance, from the off, was that it was not their fault. Anyone involved in public relations should know that, when issues are raised, often it's the best line to placate those who feel wronged, even if you actually feel it was the customer at fault.

I have done risk assessing at work and have been exasperated at some of the things that need to be taken into consideration and I'm not a fan of OTT H&S but if placing tables & chairs in the same vicinity of naked flames makes me a little hot headed then surely that's understandably.

Oh, and for Uncle S, can you post a link to "Where's there's flame, there's a claim"?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This line keeps making me laugh.

It reminds me of an old Uni chum who, when drunk one evening, "noticed something didn't feel quite right."

As it happens, he'd shat himself.

I wonder who he sued for that unfortunate incident that was clearly no fault of his own.

Reminds me of a joke: Bloke comes home from the pub and wakes up with a massive hangover. He goes downstairs to breakfast where his wife says "You must have had a good night. You were sick down your shirt". Quick as a flash the bloke pulls a £20 note from his pocket and says to his wife that someone at the pub was sick over him and to recompense he was given the £20.

His wife says "Should have given you £40 then. He also shat in your pants"

I would have expected a little more than indifference from the hotel. The manager had to called 3 times before he came down and saw me at reception. He did not even come to the bar area to see where it happened and his stance, from the off, was that it was not their fault. Anyone involved in public relations should know that, when issues are raised, often it's the best line to placate those who feel wronged, even if you actually feel it was the customer at fault.
Placating the customers? Good public relations? This is The White Hart we are talking about. A place that has served up some of the WORST food I've ever eaten, with an attitude to customers that rarely stretches beyond the limits of "You've paid for this. Why should we be bovvered anymore?"

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
I have done risk assessing at work and have been exasperated at some of the things that need to be taken into consideration and I'm not a fan of OTT H&S but if placing tables & chairs in the same vicinity of naked flames makes me a little hot headed then surely that's understandably.

A little hot-headed, wasn't that the whole point?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm not quite sure how to take it having discovered that none of my mates would piss on me when I was on fire.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A fire in Lewes?!?

Who'd have thought it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am with the OP what a stupid place to put a naked flame near to a chair which would presumably be used for sitting in. There are many people who go into bars who do not have the best of eyesight so all precautions to avoid accidents should be taken by the owners.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I am with the OP what a stupid place to put a naked flame near to a chair which would presumably be used for sitting in. There are many people who go into bars who do not have the best of eyesight so all precautions to avoid accidents should be taken by the owners.

ok lets ban chairs.......a big empty room ok Gramps?

I am sure there is a sign somewhere on the premises that says enter at own risk or something similar

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Presumably, if the candle was too close to the chair before Freddie got there, the chair would have caught alight sooner or later, then it would have been the establishments fault, obviously. It seems likely to me, that he must have moved the chair closer to the flame as he sat down, and if that's the case, he should have been aware of it.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Go back and burn the place down!

What on earth made you choose the White Hart?

It's always been a bit sparky.....
200px-White_Hart_Paine_plaque.jpg

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Presumably you were drinking a pint of...................
bonfireboy.gif

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Put off going into The White Hart for years because it always seemed to stink of over cooked sprouts as you walk past (without going in - so goodness knows how strong the smell is inside!).

Not exactly alluring for prospective punters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here