Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Finding Jackie Charlton

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
or at least people who were unwilling to make the subject interesting. Full of soundbites and flashing images
of notes he made.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I do wonder how the dementia issue will impact football in the next 5 years?

The greatest set of brothers to play for England both had it, Terry Venables is seriously ill with it, I know for a fact an Albion legend suffers with it, will we ultimately see heading taken out of the game?

This was in a era where leather balls would get heavier with water. The modern game with a lighter plastic ball is pretty safe in my eyes. I sometimes have heavier impacts on my head in everyday life than heading one of those away.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I watched the first 20 mins and won't be watching any more. The production was rubbish and probably made by people
who knew nothing about football. Not for me.

it wasn't supposed to be about football but was made by the guy responsible for the world cup/euro tv coverage on itv for the last 20 years.

the teams my kids play on have already stopped heading the ball, not a league decision but a personal club one and i think several others have made the same decision.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
or at least people who were unwilling to make the subject interesting. Full of soundbites and flashing images
of notes he made.
It wasn't about football. It was about the impact of dementia on his life.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very moving and so sad to see how a life degenerates due to dementia

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I watched the first 20 mins and won't be watching any more. The production was rubbish and probably made by people
who knew nothing about football. Not for me.

It wasn’t marketed as a program about football.

The whole point was that Jack Charlton was a husband, dad, grandfather, brother and dementia sufferer as well as a player and manager.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It wasn’t marketed as a program about football.

The whole point was that Jack Charlton was a husband, dad, grandfather, brother and dementia sufferer as well as a player and manager.

Fair enough to this and other similar comments. My misunderstanding. Perhaps I should try to watch the rest of it.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Another brilliant beeb documentary and shows it's worth, great production, story and educational around the subject of dementia which you don't see elsewhere.

Just a shame the lemmings with controlled opinions and their 'defund the BBC' can't see that

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I do wonder how the dementia issue will impact football in the next 5 years?

The greatest set of brothers to play for England both had it, Terry Venables is seriously ill with it, I know for a fact an Albion legend suffers with it, will we ultimately see heading taken out of the game?

I think you do need to factor in the difference in the balls today compared to 50-60 years ago. The heavy laced balls we used to play with at school, that got even heavier when the rain soaked its way in, are very different to the balls used today. Todays balls are like heading a feather duster rather than a medicine ball.

It is tragic that so many players are suffering dementia that has been attributed to heading the ball but they are players from a different era playing with a very different ball.

I hope somewhere somebody is doing the science to establish whether the new balls still create the same level of risk for todays players. If research shows the risk is exactly the same now as it was for those playing in the 1950s/60s then there would certainly be a case for looking at how the game is played.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fair enough to this and other similar comments. My misunderstanding. Perhaps I should try to watch the rest of it.

It is genuinely moving, the flashing lights stuff is a minor pain and a distraction overall, but understand why it irritated you. The rest amount Jack Charlton as a man, and they didn't shy away from his flaws, was fascinating.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Three very moving moments for me, Borough v Preston and both brothers were respective managers, the game was called off due to snow however Jack handed his brother a brace of hares, Bobby saying to his brother how proud he was of him at Italia '90 and perhaps the most moving part the empty chair in the garden at the end.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It is genuinely moving, the flashing lights stuff is a minor pain and a distraction overall, but understand why it irritated you. The rest amount Jack Charlton as a man, and they didn't shy away from his flaws, was fascinating.

Ta for this EP. More to my shame is the fact that I have family who are suffering with this condition.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ta for this EP. More to my shame is the fact that I have family who are suffering with this condition.

You weren’t to know from the way the show was marketed. Dementia is football’s dirty secret shamefully.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I watched this last night and thought it was excellent from start to finish.

Even the bits with Andy Townsend.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
Italia '90 was tremendous for Big Jack. I remember coming home from school to watch that Republic of Ireland/Romania penalty shootout and Pat Bonner making the crucial save. What an achievement to reach the quarter-finals.

Yes, I know so many matches were low-scoring but the drama throughout the tournament was magical. Cameroon shocking Argentina in the opener, Maradona handballing again against USSR, England's group being so tight and nerve-wracking, the Brazil 0-1 Argentina tension on a Sunday afternoon in the second round, the West Germans hammering most of their opponents, Gazza's tears. It was great!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Thought it was a fantastic programme.
Unfortunately, my Father is suffering from this dreadful disease, and not going to the Albion has been a massive blow, as it was routine etc....

Some days doesn’t recognise myself or my Mother, but was thrilled when Guy Butters called early on in COVID.... (Fortunately I’d spoken to Guy beforehand).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Excellent programme, though sad and emotional. The last 12 months or so have been very unkind to that great Revie team - a team I supported as a kid (after BHA of course).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here