Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

finding cash in the street.. what woud you do?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
on the flip side, i have lost a wallet (with rent money!) AND a passport, both returned by the finder each time. offered £5 for their effort, but they declined to take it.

would it happen in America / Europe..?

I've had a wallet returned unharmed the one time I lost it, in Europe. Found by a jogger who got my mobile number off the automatic topup card for the mobile I had at the time.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
My g/f left her wallet behind in a shop just this Sunday, and we didn't notice until we'd got to another shop about a 10 minute drive away. On returning to the shop, it had been handed it complete with all the cash still inside it, and she got it straight back. Nice.

Hand it in - it's the right thing to do. A mate of mine found £260 in the street outside his house a couple of years back, handed it in to Plod and got it back three months later when it was unclaimed.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i found an envelope with someone's name and date of birth, national insurance number and a wad of notes. the person was clearly an oap and this was probably their pension. i tried to find them in the phone book etc to no joy and so went to the lost and found desk at the police station and handing it in was such a hassle. my son found £5 in elland road and squealed like a stuck pig when i wouldn't let him keep it, we donated that to the children's hospice. after the sheer disinterest shown by the police when i tried to hand that envelope in i would probably donate the money to the hospice.

mrs starry left her purse on the ledge in a phone box a few weeks before christmas, it had everything in it - bank cards, cash, driving licence, pics of the kids etc. we cancelled the cards and whatnot. the purse came in the post. no note from who found it but i like to think if someone found theirs they would do the same. karma.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If it wasn't in someone's wallet, I'm afraid to say I'd keep the lot. If no-one saw me. And I'd go and launder it somewhere as well.

Found a fiver in a urinal in a pub in Ferring,back when a fiver was serious pints.I laundered it,and spent it,too,but always wondered if I'd be on candid camera;much that I cared!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
*In theory*, you could be prosecuted for the offence of theft by finding if you kept it.

The law requires you to take reasonable steps to trace the owner of property, for example handing it in to the police if it was a wallet, or knocking on doors, if it was a dog.

In the case of £2000, or even £200, it's highly probable that the owner would miss it, and that by giving the exact location and denomination of the cash, they could reasonably prove it was theirs. So "reasonable steps" would include handing it in to see if anyone claims it, for example.

In the case of £20, on the other hand, the loser is unlikely to be able to prove ownership, and even less likely to report it, there the reasonable steps might be- for example- simply ascertaining if anybody around you had dropped it.

All this is purely speculation, of course, as to be pursued for such a matter requires someone to actually SEE you do it...

Indeed, and probably an aggrieved party. Unless they offender owns up in interview.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Whenever I find anything i.e. Wallet, money etc, then I hand it in.

Someone found my wallet in Cairns - I went for a wander looking for fit women who wanted strings free sex and presumably lost my wallet on the mission. Wallet was with the Aussie Police, but no $50. :( Got back from me travels and found a cheque from the police for $50 that they had forgotten to give me. :D

Also found £150 in a wallet. Handed it into the police and sent a letter to the owner and got a very nice reply from them thanking me and a £10 Waterstones voucher!

However, lost my wallet a few times and never had everything back in one piece :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here